Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

When will the consultation results be released? if they actually will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

The UL academics would do well to keep their own house in order before pointing fingers at anyone else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/university-of-limerick-criticised-for-governance-failure-that-may-cost-1-2m-1.3938436

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I do still have an issue with the company though. If it is being run by somebody who thinks "their" network shouldn't be used for Netflix, then they really should not have any hand, act or part in anything related to the NBP.
    So this isn't a WISP (not Imagine) with "nearly national coverage"?

I do not work, have never worked for nor will ever work for the company, that you referenced. What is your point ?
    recyclebin wrote: »
    If Marlow works for, or has a vested interest in a WISP then they should come out and say it. They don't have to reveal which one but they can't keep knocking the NBP and not expect to be called out on it if they have a vested interest in it not going ahead.
    Marlow wrote: »
    Allanpkr:

You only read half of what I post, make suggestions based on that half you read, make accusations, call me dishonest and you have already admitted, that you don't know or understand, what I am talking about.

It might be time to take a step back and and take a less aggressive approach. You react like a child, that feels it's potential xmas toy is going to be taken away from and then revert to bullying tactics to silence those that are not of your opinion. And you continue so, after others have told you, that you may be a tad off.

I am only expressing an opinion here and tell what I see. Nothing more, nothing less. This opinion is based on working in the industry for over 25 years and in 5 countries. Also, your conclusions based on this half reading are pretty radical. So you don't seem to be able to want nor can see alternative approaches.

And no, i have never worked for eircom, nor would I like seeing them being awarded with the contract. I can not even see, how you possibly could come up with that notion from my posts. They are not an irish business any longer. They are actually incorporated in Jersey.

/M

I made my position VERY clear. And for those who still don't find, that I spelled it out .. please read back on the entire thread. It's only 41 pages. Well .. and another thread.
    Plenty of references there, where I stand and where I come from.

This thread is not for pointing fingers, telling people who they work for, pushing an agenda nor for having a witch hunt.

This thread is for exchange of information on the NBP, discussions and opinions. PERSONAL OPINIONS. Disregardless of affiliation. This thread will hardly change policy in politics. If my affiliation was of any interest to the matter in a post, I would use my official boards company account/profile. Anything I post is in a personal capacity.

Stabbing and alienating a person, just because you don't like what said persons opinion is, is simply petty.

/M

Pique wrote: »
    It was mentioned.

And why is it such a secret if it's common knowledge amongst some people?

I'm not trying to add to any witch hunt but transparency would be nice.

Because it would be up to the person/provider in question to give a precise account, if it mattered to them. I am just pointing out, that it happened.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

clohamon wrote: »
    Podcast of U/L academics re-visiting their NBP criticisms (18:00) and Eircom privatisation (43:00)

https://shows.pippa.io/the-irish-economics-podcast/episodes/ep-6-infrastructure-investment

Claim that NBP budget increased substantially after Eircom left the process is not substantiated.

An interesting discussion ..... thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

The increase would indeed have happened after the 300k were removed, the remaining area being less profitable and harder to get to.

Eircom leaving the NBP process would not have changed much alright, assuming they all bid for the same area.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

no one , but no one minds anyones opinion , but when that opinion is put across as fact , that is a different matter. especially if that someone whilst putting an opinion across as if its a fact, ,interspurses that opinion with technical data that is more in depth than a lot of us know, just to make that opinion seem more like a fact , is deceiving and rather sad.
    at the end of the day it doesnt really matter about all the technical jargon, ftth will im always be better than anything else that carries broadband . therefore ireland will be ready for the future of IOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

allanpkr wrote: »
    no one , but no one minds anyone's opinion , but when that opinion is put across as fact , that is a different matter........

... therefore Ireland will be ready for the future of IOT.

Agreed in principle, but what the NBP could/should deliver and what it actually will deliver, and when, are subject to a big IF......

My prediction fwiw, is that IF brexit is a disaster, then NBP money will be sacrificed.

BarryM wrote: »
    My prediction fwiw, is that IF brexit is a disaster, then NBP money will be sacrificed.

Take the example of the NBS. 400 million were set aside for that. It was a useless approach, but that is neither here nor there. Then the recession and Anglo Irish happened .. and voila .. budget got cut to 260 million.

There is not a lot faith to be had for them getting it right.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Take the example of the NBS. 400 million were set aside for that. It was a useless approach, but that is neither here nor there. Then the recession and Anglo Irish happened .. and voila .. budget got cut to 260 million.

There is not a lot faith to be had for them getting it right.

/M

That headline figure came from Three’s marketing department. The subsidy was a lot less.
    The National Broadband Scheme sees an estimated €223m in investment by 3 of which a maximum of €79.8m will be contributed by the Government and EU.
    https://press.three.ie/press_releases/national-broadband-scheme-set-to-create-opportunities-for-agri-business-throughout-rural-ireland/

The post implementation review by Indecon put the total cost at €170M
    The net exchequer cost of the Scheme was €43 million. The total combined cost – public and private – of delivering broadband services under the scheme came to some €170 million, of which €36 million was funded under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
    https://dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/publications/Documents/86/Indecon%20NBS%20Review%20-%20November%202017.pdf

As for competence, most of the damaging old guard had (been) moved on during Pat Rabbitte's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

allanpkr wrote: »
    ftth will im always be better than anything else that carries broadband . therefore ireland will be ready for the future of IOT.

Could you explain what IOT in households might need FTTH with say a Gbps given that Ultra HD 4K vid only needs 25-50 Mbps per device? What's coming that will need 950 Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Messer1 wrote: »
    Could you explain what IOT in households might need FTTH with say a Gbps given that Ultra HD 4K vid only needs 25-50 Mbps per device? What's coming that will need 950 Mbps?
    I don't know about you but my house has 3 x 4k Smart TVs.
    10 years ago, nobody needed a 20mb connection and now it's a defacto minimum. 1Gb connections aren't about now or 5 years time, they're about future proofing further down the line.

I don't know about you but my house has 3 x 4k Smart TVs.

That's not what the NBP is being build for. Also .. with a proper multicast network, you wouldn't need an individual stream for each TV.

This is EXACTLY the issue. Guzzling bandwidth with no sense at all. The issue here at hand is, that the bottleneck moves upwards ... even when you get all that bandwidth .. at the point where everybody attempts to use it all at the same time, it still won't work .... because there is another bottleneck further down the line. The NBP won't fix that either.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

This is EXACTLY the issue. Guzzling bandwidth with no sense at all. The issue here at hand is, that the bottleneck moves upwards ... even when you get all that bandwidth .. at the point where everybody attempts to use it all at the same time, it still won't work .... because there is another bottleneck further down the line. The NBP won't fix that either.

/M

The series of tubes could get all blocked up!

That's not what the NBP is being build for. Also .. with a proper multicast network, you wouldn't need an individual stream for each TV.

/M

Sure I suppose we shouldn’t have built all those motorways because of the bottlenecks at each end of them too - what a waste of money they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Orebro wrote: »
    Sure I suppose we shouldn’t have built all those motorways because of the bottlenecks at each end of them too - what a waste of money they were.

If the WISP's ran the roads they suggest that flying cars would solve everything or that we could soon travel in Low Earth Orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

/M

I thought multicast only works for live TV?

Is there now a way for it to work with Netflix etc... some type of caching??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

user1842 wrote: »
    No, doesn't make sense for individual streams ... except for streams of live TV, in case anyone going to be pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

user1842 wrote: »
    /M

https://openconnect.netflix.com/en_gb/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

That has nothing to do with multicast though. Each netflix stream is a separate unicast connection, even when talking to those appliances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Confirmation from the Taoiseach that Imagine have made a challenge to the mapping process.
    Taoiseach wrote:
    On the national broadband plan, the contract has not been signed but we have appointed a preferred bidder. Imagine has challenged the maps and that has caused a delay. Deputies will be aware that Imagine provides a service in many parts of rural Ireland and has challenged the intervention area. We anticipate being able to
    M. Martin wrote:
    To whom was the intervention area challenged? Was it challenged to Europe?
    Taoiseach wrote:
    The challenge was initially made to the Department. The Department was then required to consult the European Commission for reasons relating to state aid rules. We anticipate that the contract will be signed by the end of year, which will allow the first homes across rural Ireland to be connected to high-speed broadband next year.
    M. Martin wrote:
    September becomes the end of the year.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-10-01/speech/166/

#BoycottImagine when the NBP rolls out people.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

So they challenged, as expected, what is the result or is it still ongoing. Amount of entities trying to sabotage this is so annoying.
    It's just pure time wasting from them. I'm in an area that they cover but failed install (thankfully) a year or two ago. How can they say they cover an area when a portion will fail install?!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Imagine know full well this is just a nonsense challenge and all they are doing is delaying NBP to drain more money out of their customer base who for the most part of sick and tired of the awful service they provide.

When NBP come I truly hope it will be the nail in the coffin of Imagine and their marketing 5G broadband rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Do WISPs not see the NBP as an opportunity to just switch their customers to fibre, they have alot of wireless customers that youd think would be happy staying with their Current ISP just connected to a fibre line instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Do WISPs not see the NBP as an opportunity to just switch their customers to fibre, they have alot of wireless customers that youd think would be happy staying with their Current ISP just connected to a fibre line instead.

A few of them already resell the VDSL and FTTH from both Siro and Open Eir. I am currently getting VDSL from Westnet even though I'm nowhere near their wireless coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

So they challenged, as expected, what is the result or is it still ongoing. Amount of entities trying to sabotage this is so annoying.
    It's just pure time wasting from them. I'm in an area that they cover but failed install (thankfully) a year or two ago. How can they say they cover an area when a portion will fail install?!

Same here. I failed the install as well. Too many trees interfering with the line of site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

A few of them already resell the VDSL and FTTH from both Siro and Open Eir. I am currently getting VDSL from Westnet even though I'm nowhere near their wireless coverage.

Why dont they want to delay the nbp then when they can just move across their customer base, just seems petty on imagines part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Why dont they want to delay the nbp then when they can just move across their customer base, just seems petty on imagines part

Imagine don't sell FTTH on any network. They have a completely separate wireless network that they wish to protect.

As to the rest of the WISPs, there are too many to survive a transition to reselling FTTH. If the NBP goes ahead they know a significant amount of them will go out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

If they challenge the NBP, I will be contacting the Comreg every week with their speed
    8615476119.png

Advertisement