Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They will offer gigabit from day one as confirmed by oscarBravo here:

If the wholesale pricepoint of what was indicated is anything to go by, then it will be more expensive than OpenEir wholesale pricing.

It will be unaffordable to most.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

i cant wait to see this thread after it is signed. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Might want to tell the readers what technologies those previously failed attempts used.

If I was in my dream world, privately owned companies wouldn't have a sniff of public infrastructure in the first place so none of this would have been a problem. The current NBP approach hands control to a consortium in a messy bidding process yes, but for **** sake I'd rather have fibre on every Eir pole within 10 years than be having WISPs come back to us in 10 years saying they need more cash to yet again close the gap to urban broadband. What you're seemingly proposing, correct me if I'm wrong, is the equivalent of adovacting for an electricity network done by a collection of electricians that all claim to have already served parts of the country with their own electricity. If that's actually what you're proposing IDK why I should take anything you say as credible.

This sums up rispa position.

Marlow is advocating for electricians and less than ten of them getting a piece of the pie for a national scale infrastructure rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

To be honest there's not much point in us arguing about this.
    Yes, if it is to be a legal case, then there is no point in speculating unless someone has legal knowledge of how EU state aid legal cases work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Marlow wrote: »
    Here is a little thing worth to know: Regional providers have access to mast sites and repeaters that most traditional mobile carriers don't have access to. These are not necessarily known to the department .. especially because these regional providers were excluded from these consultations.

/M

Wouldn't these sites have to be detailed in order to meet the requirements of the mapping assessment ?

...and the map has been open since 2013. In what way were regional providers excluded ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A quick question,there are new masts erected around Enniscorthy. I got to see works near one. There's a fibre line running along the road near it and within the last week or so KN lads built a manhole under where the fibre is running and put in a road crossing before pulling cable to another access point at the lane up to the mast.
    Any idea what these masts are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Marlow wrote: »
    .... They can also scale to 100 Mbit/s by 2025. And they can on top of that invest in other technologies going forward, that will enable them and build infrastructure to provide even faster. These may not be wireless.

/M

Sorry Marlow, maybe you missed my previous question.

I was asking if you are saying that using wireless technologies, a WISP would be able to commit to providing 100Mb Minimum by 2025, but with the option for a consumer to choose a 1Gb minimum connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Marcus Matthews in front of the committee during the summer:
    We referred to the speed in 2012 as being 30 Mbps and remarked on the jumps experienced since then. The products themselves are now rated for 200 Mbps and some of the members here have connections installed that are achieving that speed in licence-exempt bands, which are noisy. Regarding the evolution of long-range technology, by 2025 the prediction is that 500 Mbps will be possible. I am referring to long-range and serving multiple premises from the same site.

So the answer appears to be 'No'.
    I presume that the speeds quoted above have a long list of preconditions applied also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

A quick question,there are new masts erected around Enniscorthy. I got to see works near one. There's a fibre line running along the road near it and within the last week or so KN lads built a manhole under where the fibre is running and put in a road crossing before pulling cable to another access point at the lane up to the mast.
    Any idea what these masts are for?

Is the location of one of them MILEHOUSE, MARSHALSTOWN? If so it's one of the Cignal masts being constructed around the country as part of a €25m investment programme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/cignal-s-25m-investment-to-tackle-coverage-blackspots-1.3698774

Pique wrote: »
    Marcus Matthews in front of the committee during the summer:

So the answer appears to be 'No'.
    I presume that the speeds quoted above have a long list of preconditions applied also.

If that's a response to my question, I'd still like Marlow to answer.
    he seems to suggest that it's possible for WISPs or at least wireless technology to meet the requirements.
    The way I read the requirements, as have been posted in this thread, calls for a minimum downlink in 2025 of 100Mb with the possibility for customers to request 1Gb.

So I would be very interested to know if WISPs are suggesting this requirement can be met and if have the confidence to commit to that contractually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is the location of one of them MILEHOUSE, MARSHALSTOWN? If so it's one of the Cignal masts being constructed around the country as part of a €25m investment programme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/cignal-s-25m-investment-to-tackle-coverage-blackspots-1.3698774

That's the one I saw. The thing is that the area all around there has fibre,even down bohreens. What's the range on one of those masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Seriously, imagine the sh1tshow the Gov would have to deal with if they let WISPs in on this, being able to supply dodgy peak time internet to alot and the percentage they can't get to because of topography etc get left behind. We'd be back to square one within a couple of years.

I for one am glad that there are more ambitious people in the country than the RISPA snake oil salesmen, begrudgers and nay-sayers because we would still be without electricity and running water in vast parts of the country otherwise.

When we roll this out we will be the first in the world to achieve such a thing, it will be a scale of achievement on a par to Ardnacrusha, something to be proud of and will make headlines around the world. Thats just too scary for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That's the one I saw. The thing is that the area all around there has fibre,even down bohreens. What's the range on one of those masts?

Cignal would be selling space on masts to the mobile operators as well so it's not just about residential broadband. I'm sure, depending on topography, it could cover several square kilometres.

Orebro wrote: »
    Seriously, imagine the sh1tshow the Gov would have to deal with if they let WISPs in on this, being able to supply dodgy peak time internet to alot and the percentage they can't get to because of topography etc get left behind. We'd be back to square one within a couple of years.

I for one am glad that there are more ambitious people in the country than the RISPA snake oil salesmen, begrudgers and nay-sayers because we would still be without electricity and running water in vast parts of the country otherwise.

When we roll this out we will be the first in the world to achieve such a thing, it will be a scale of achievement on a par to Ardnacrusha, something to be proud of and will make headlines around the world. Thats just too scary for some.

totally agree once ftth is rolled out it will put this country in headlines.....watch companies enquire about setting up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

allanpkr wrote: »
    totally agree once ftth is rolled out it will put this country in headlines.....watch companies enquire about setting up here.

Just another 5 - 10 years so, get ready for boom time. It's a coming :-)

tototoe wrote: »
    Just another 5 - 10 years so, get ready for boom time. It's a coming :-)

it will still be ahead of other countrys with that time frame lol.

it will still be ahead of other countrys with that time frame lol.

Whatever about the ins and outs of the nbp, the chances of this being completed on time or on budget are nil imo. The conversations around ****e broadband are going to go on and on for many years to come.

We can't even build a hospital in time or on budget FFS

We'll be the envy of the world...or something.

Whatever about the ins and outs of the nbp, the chances of this being completed on time or on budget are nil imo. The conversations around ****e broadband are going to go on and on for many years to come.

We can't even build a hospital in time or on budget FFS

We'll be the envy of the world...or something.

lets try to be positive...enough with the negative waves,man its bad karma......lol.

lets try to be positive...enough with the negative waves,man its bad karma......lol.

I'd prefer to be real about it to be honest. Lol.

It matters not when this is signed, people are going to be waiting years and years in most cases. Schedules and plans are well and good, but the reality will be issues with civils, wayleaves and the likes, not to mention funding availability change of government, global factors etc etc

I'd prefer to be real about it to be honest. Lol.

It matters not when this is signed, people are going to be waiting years and years in most cases. Schedules and plans are well and good, but the reality will be issues with civils, wayleaves and the likes, not to mention funding availability change of government, global factors etc etc

Not that it's "right", but if it's signed I fully expect to get a connection very quickly...
    I expect open eir to plug the tiny gaps that they left everywhere pretty quick to get onto the fixed churn fee gravy train...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Whatever about the ins and outs of the nbp, the chances of this being completed on time or on budget are nil imo.

As far as the budget is concerned, unlike the children's hospital, the state's financial contribution is capped at €3 billion including VAT and contingencies, over 25 years. Any overruns are borne by NBI. It could be less than that as eir has taken between 30,000 and 40,000 premises out of the intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

ArrBee wrote: »
    Not that it's "right", but if it's signed I fully expect to get a connection very quickly...
    I expect open eir to plug the tiny gaps that they left everywhere pretty quick to get onto the fixed churn fee gravy train...

This chart suggest that most people will wait years to get a connection.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjy1oi6hJTlAhVKXMAKHX7JDOUQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.broadsheet.ie%2Ftag%2Fnational-broadband-plan%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Yx207d4in69Y_R-5Wz-cW&ust=1570877394180068

Messer1 wrote: »

That chart will be for the NBP surely.
    I was referring to what Eir are likely to do as soon as a contract is signed. ie. they will finish building their network quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

ArrBee wrote: »
    That chart will be for the NBP surely.
    I was referring to what Eir are likely to do as soon as a contract is signed. ie. they will finish building their network quickly.

You are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

clohamon wrote: »
    Link on that page to a July podcast with Fergal Mulligan - NBP program director.
    https://blog.hereshow.ie/2019/07/heres-how-87-the-national-broadband-plan/#more-1462
    (warning: contains clichéd questions from the interviewer William Campbell)

Thanks for the link, had missed that. Quite unusual for a civil servant to go on the record voluntarily like that. Fergal Mulligan probably has more in-depth knowledge of the NBP than anyone I'd reckon.

westyIrl wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, had missed that. Quite unusual for a civil servant to go on the record voluntarily like that. Fergal Mulligan probably has more in-depth knowledge of the NBP than anyone I'd reckon.

well i can only presume that the broadcaster was playing devils advocate with his totally disgraceful biased questioning and only seemed to be interested in answers he thought he could turn. plus his so called facts about urban cost and rural cost. i thought fergal was incredibly calm and forthright with his clear answers. i obviously live in rural ireland i pay more for electricity, i pay for sewage, water,rubbish no subsidies from urban ireland . what does urban ireland pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

well i can only presume that the broadcaster was playing devils advocate with his totally disgraceful biased questioning and only seemed to be interested in answers he thought he could turn. plus his so called facts about urban cost and rural cost. i thought fergal was incredibly calm and forthright with his clear answers. i obviously live in rural ireland i pay more for electricity, i pay for sewage, water,rubbish no subsidies from urban ireland . what does urban ireland pay for.

oh those poor urbanites are short of water so they have to take it from rural Ireland all the way to the 'big smoke' ......... strange I have not heard any mention of telling the Dubs to move out to where the water is available, like we have had posts here telling those in rural Ireland to move to urban centres if they want services such as broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Dáil debates
    Thursday, 10 October 2019
    Brian Stanley

My question concerns the national broadband plan. We learned this week that the process has again been stalled. The Taoiseach said that a challenge to the national broadband plan has been brought and has held it up. He said that Imagine provides a service in many parts of rural Ireland and has challenged the intervention area. Sean Bolger of Imagine has said that company is merely informing the Government of its existing and planned commercial investments. He goes on to say that Imagine is merely setting out the data regarding infrastructural development for the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment, which it is required to do under law. This plan, which has been promised since 2012 by this Government and the previous one, is being held up. What is happening with the national broadband plan? Are the tendering process and the gap model completely banjaxed? Where is it at?

Richard Bruton

I know Deputy Stanley does not support this project but I can assure him that we are proceeding with it and are carrying out the necessary due diligence. As he rightly noted, one of the elements one must do is open the map to allow other applicants to make a submission, which was done. That was closed at the end of September. Any application lodged by a company will be assessed, as is required. We will then proceed to make decisions with regard to completing the due diligence and state aid elements and sign the contracts at that point. There is no undue delay. This is being proceeded with on target.

Advertisement