Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

the eu made its decision on the existing map. it also stated that in their opinion providing ireland with ftth would increase competition cause once built it is open for any broadband supplier including local
    companys.
    further to point made previously 2.6b is cost minus vat. which govn has been clear about since price was agreed.
    of course it could have just come out and said price will be 2.6b plus vat. but it seems being open about cost doesnt suit some. you can please some of the people all the time, you can please all the people some of the time, but you cant please all the people all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Yep, looks certain to go ahead unless something major goes awry. I think any potential challenges now will have to occur in parallel with roll out.

I know someone was asking earlier as regards rollout timeline, and I know it was already mentioned may times over the past year, but according to NBI's plans, to summarise;
    • Almost 300 Broadband Connection Points (BCPs) at locations identified and selected by the Department of Rural and Community Development will be live in the first year.
    • By the end of the third year, it is projected that almost 40% of premises in the IA (totalling over 205,000 premises) will be passed and by year five, almost 95% of the entire population will have access to high-speed broadband.
    • 100% ultrafast broadband coverage across the IA within seven years

Source: https://www.nationalbroadbandireland.ie/

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Could we see the likes of Virgin who currently run their copper cable in urban areas expand into Rural Ireland as the Fibre system is built. Another albeit forgotten result of the NBP FTTH is that you can access cable TV for the first time if you are in rural Ireland alot of areas which don't even get Saorview coverage.

As NBI will be only be an infrastructural provider we will see EIR and Vodafone competing over the NBP Fibre, some (progressive) wisps are also competing already by offering services on EIR and SIRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

theguzman wrote: »
    Could we see the likes of Virgin who currently run their copper cable in urban areas expand into Rural Ireland as the Fibre system is built. Another albeit forgotten result of the NBP FTTH is that you can access cable TV for the first time if you are in rural Ireland alot of areas which don't even get Saorview coverage.

As NBI will be only be an infrastructural provider we will see EIR and Vodafone competing over the NBP Fibre, some (progressive) wisps are also competing already by offering services on EIR and SIRO.

Virgin would just be another company selling on the network. It is certainly possible they'll choose to join in order to increase their potential subscriber base.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Virgin would just be another company selling on the network. It is certainly possible they'll choose to join in order to increase their potential subscriber base.

I didn't think Virgin had any interest outside of towns and cities? If they do this, would they mirror the service and speeds that are on their cable network?

Gonzo wrote: »
    I didn't think Virgin had any interest outside of towns and cities? If they do this, would they mirror the service and speeds that are on their cable network?

I'm saying it's a possibility. I've no idea if they have any such plans. They would have to take whatever products NBI offer which probably would not mirror their own current speeds. We've seen rumours of them hooking up with SIRO in order to extend their reach so why not NBI.

well as i said before if i get ftth im calling westnet/siro . if your a good company im loyal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foxy wolf

Of all the hairbrained shíte Irish governments have wasted money on over the years, the nbp certainly isn't the worst and I don't begrudge anyone in rural ireland having the option of fibre but the reality is it's not going to reignite the glory days of rural ireland. Somr People go on as if fibre is an automatic cure to high unemployment and immigration.

Foxy wolf wrote: »
    Of all the hairbrained shíte Irish governments have wasted money on over the years, the nbp certainly isn't the worst and I don't begrudge anyone in rural ireland having the option of fibre but the reality is it's not going to reignite the glory days of rural ireland. Somr People go on as if fibre is an automatic cure to high unemployment and immigration.

to be honest on here i havnt heard anyone say anything about high unemployment and immigration on here. but if you mean in real world..lets be honest it cant do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foxy wolf

allanpkr wrote: »
    to be honest on here i havnt heard anyone say anything about high unemployment and immigration on here. but if you mean in real world..lets be honest it cant do any harm.

It's usually said in tv& radio debates about the topic, incidentally some urban folk are under the impression that vast amounts of rural ireland has no access to the internet whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is there a reason why someone cant just pay rn to bring fibre to their area, like if each house in an area put in 1-2k and gave it to a contractor?

Is the cost many multiples of what I'd expect it to be or is there some legal reason why people cant do that?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Is there a reason why someone cant just pay rn to bring fibre to their area, like if each house in an area put in 1-2k and gave it to a contractor?

Is the cost many multiples of what I'd expect it to be or is there some legal reason why people cant do that?

so once again urbanites pay nothing for their service and rural are meant to fork out 2k . yep seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

allanpkr wrote: »
    so once again urbanites pay nothing for their service and rural are meant to fork out 2k . yep seems fair.

I'm just asking why it can't be done as tbh if it meant a faster service I'd consider it

Do you mean KN? If so, they are just a sub-contractor to open eir. They have no power to bring fibre anywhere, they go where they are told.

In relation to crowdfunding fibre I suppose a group could approach open eir and ask. Getting enough people to commit hundreds or thousands might be an issue with the NBP now looking like it'll go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

The same applies to some areas in Dublin, why citizens can't fork out few hundreds a year to hire private security companies to protect their areas, why do I have to pay tax to enable the Gardaí to protect those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Let's not bring tax into it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Decentralisation, if you can make local modern employment create local jobs based of real true connections to global markets then yes it's absolutely part of the bigger picture. Anyone who can't see that has their head up their arses in a global economic vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Each houses. What area, how far ? The question is so basic it's not worth answering

Cabinet approval to be given, possibly on Tuesday.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/government-approve-broadband-plan-week-457292

• Advertisement

instead of wisps trying to fight progress, which is always inevitable. as i said before , foresight and learn as a business to adapt and move with progress helps you grow and survive.
    take this as a step to move forward. some already have. this is good for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Somr People go on as if fibre is an automatic cure to high unemployment and immigration.

"Some people" live in rural areas where the access is shyte. They have kids, need to buy things they cannot get locally, DO work from home, have rellies living abroad, etc, etc,.

Of course it won't revolutionise rural Ireland, that would require a proper national policy for development. The reality is Google, Facebook, etc., want to be near an airport, cannot think why, they 'have to' go to Dublin, with the high rents, traffic, crap bus service, etc. They are welcome.....and they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the tax break.

OTOH, the technology park in Clonakilty has fibre.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Fibre and Internet is almost a human-right at this stage, should the ESB withdraw service to rural Ireland also? Because Broadband is as important as Electricity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Cabinet to meet early to sign off on €3bn broadband plan

The Government is set to sign off on the €3bn National Broadband Plan contract at its weekly meeting tomorrow.

The Cabinet meeting has been brought forward from its usual 10am start time and will start at 7.30am, a move seen as allowing the announcement to be made immediately ahead of markets opening.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cabinet-to-meet-early-to-sign-off-on-3bn-broadband-plan-964851.html

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

KOR101 wrote: »
    Cabinet to meet early to sign off on €3bn broadband plan

Can someone check if hell has frozen over?
    12 years of 3G and 4G, the anticipation for this is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

It's been a long time coming. The only anti-climax will be after signing...the wait until we are actually passed, but that itself is a far better fate than not knowing if we would ever see sight of it.

But I agree with your point. After years following this process, I feel conditioned to presume something will delay or derail it.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Well you're going to have another couple of years with your existing service, but once this is signed we should all be happy that there will be shovels in the ground and the fibre is on its way - as the last poster mentioned this is a much better position to be in than having nothing happening and banging our heads against the wall.

Didn't NBI say the will have an Eircode search facility shortly after signed that will give an estimate of when your house will get passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Orebro wrote: »

Didn't NBI say the will have an Eircode search facility shortly after signed that will give an estimate of when your house will get passed?

They did indeed. I'll look forward to that in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

The main thing is that its signed and our house hasn't been removed because of Imagine aggressively rolling out in the area lately. I can handle 2 more years of waiting if I know its definitely happening, spent a long time staring at the openeir map and rollout thread before realizing they weren't going to bring it that last 900m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

As this has been EU approved now,do Imagine etc have any basis for court action under state aid rules?
    That cabinet meeting started early supposedly so a signing announcement could be made before markets open
    That didn't happen

Advertisement