Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mortelaro wrote: »
    As this has been EU approved now,do Imagine etc have any basis for court action under state aid rules?
    That cabinet meeting started early supposedly so a signing announcement could be made before markets open
    That didn't happen

Not yet!
    Monday, November 18, 2019 - 06:15 AM

The Government is set to sign off on the €3bn National Broadband Plan contract at its weekly meeting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I know a farmers here in rural Kerry who has been waiting for this moment for years and we often spoke about it. Hi is now preparing to invest upto €250k into the renovation of his old farmhouse homeplaces and has been prompted to do this thanks to the Dublin centred boom, historically low interest rates and an ever uncertain farming future.

Rural Direct fibre will drive an ever growing trend of decentralisation as IT workers are opting to live and work rurally via Fibre. These are highly paid professional people who want the peace, quiet and safety of rural life without the extreme housing costs of Dublin also. It is mainly lifestyle driven, go for a walk with your dog and have the kids in a local school with Irish children.

Direct Fibre will have all sort of benefits not only faster connectivity. It will increase housprices rurally as the Dublin boom will push many more people out further away from the Capital.

It won't create miracles but it will add to the GDP growth for sure. Fibre can lower Carbon Emissions due to less car journeys for work and shopping. It will increase educational access for rural people. Fibre has none of the health risks associated with Wireless, 3G/4G 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz and 5G which is the most dangerous off wirless technologies currently.

Tomorrow's signing will be a day to be remembered in the annals of Irish progress. 20 years after the Privatisation of Telecom Eireann by the corrupt Fianna Fail party destroyed Irish communications by two decades; the disgrace and shambles of the market since then will be long remembered. And that has cost tens of billions since to the economy in lost growth and progress; the money invested by the exchequer into the NBP will repay itself several times over in time between subscriptions, innovation and progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

theguzman wrote: »
    I know a farmers here in rural Kerry who has been waiting for this moment for years and we often spoke about it. Hi is now preparing to invest upto €250k into the renovation of his old farmhouse homeplaces and has been prompted to do this thanks to the Dublin centred boom, historically low interest rates and an ever uncertain farming future.

Rural Direct fibre will drive an ever growing trend of decentralisation as IT workers are opting to live and work rurally via Fibre. These are highly paid professional people who want the peace, quiet and safety of rural life without the extreme housing costs of Dublin also. It is mainly lifestyle driven, go for a walk with your dog and have the kids in a local school with Irish children.

Direct Fibre will have all sort of benefits not only faster connectivity. It will increase housprices rurally as the Dublin boom will push many more people out further away from the Capital.

It won't create miracles but it will add to the GDP growth for sure. Fibre can lower Carbon Emissions due to less car journeys for work and shopping. It will increase educational access for rural people. Fibre has none of the health risks associated with Wireless, 3G/4G 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz and 5G which is the most dangerous off wirless technologies currently.

Tomorrow's signing will be a day to be remembered in the annals of Irish progress. 20 years after the Privatisation of Telecom Eireann by the corrupt Fianna Fail party destroyed Irish communications by two decades; the disgrace and shambles of the market since then will be long remembered. And that has cost tens of billions since to the economy in lost growth and progress; the money invested by the exchequer into the NBP will repay itself several times over in time between subscriptions, innovation and progress.

Are you on commission?

Are you on commission?

An internet user in rural Ireland since 1998 and I remember getting connected on 56k to tinet, then Indigo and OceanFree later BT Ireland for dial-up, massive phonebills for dialup, rip off charges for mobile.

In these last 21 years it is fair to say that upto €20k has been spent on internet and mobile costs here by myself and my household. In 2005 I moved to one way Satellite, originally uplinked via Dial-up. Later I changed this to O2 EDGE service for the uplink as I had no upload which at the time was managable.

Three years later a charlatan wisp arrived in 2008 and in 2009 the Governments 3G National Broadband Scheme with Three in the biggest waste of money thanks to crony FF and the Greens for that one, they might aswell have burned the money instead of awarding it to Hutchinson Three.

In 2009 was the time to build the FTTH network. Luckily I stayed with the ad-hoc wisp until 2010 when Eircom enabled my exchange to ADSL2+ giving me 12mb and I have been on this for the last almost 10 years now. I have 4G available here now and it is faster than my ADSL2+ and far cheaper so when my current EIR contract expires I might chance the 4G to see if it is any better.

I have been through the trials and tribulations of rural internet and the frustration of it all. Eir passed my house with the trunk fibre almost 7 years ago as the village nearby got upgraded to VDSL and the trunk fibre continued to a bigger town which has FTTH now. I contacted EIR to get a connection but its not possible and I would have gladly paid a few thousand to hook-up.

I've no vested interest other than I'm sick to the death of the entire thing and the day fibre comes into my own day will see a bottle of champagne uncorked for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Tomorrow is day of days for us alright.

I have a very similar tale of woe to theguzman, being from rural Ireland, being very interested in tech from a very young age, trying to make do with dialup for years when the urban areas were leaving the rest of the country behind. I dread to think of how many missed opportunities we've had in Ireland when our smart young people with big startup ideas were hamstrung by lack of proper internet connection and took their ideas to the USA instead.

I have to agree with the FF sentiments. I've voted for them all my life but after their carry on with the NBP I won't even answer the door to their canvassers not to mind vote for them in the next (or any!) election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Are you on commission?
    Most likely he is like myself needs decent broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

The main thing is that its signed and our house hasn't been removed because of Imagine aggressively rolling out in the area lately. I can handle 2 more years of waiting if I know its definitely happening, spent a long time staring at the openeir map and rollout thread before realizing they weren't going to bring it that last 900m.

same position , kept looking at eir coverage at both ends of my road and left 4/5 houses.

Orebro wrote: »
    Tomorrow is day of days for us alright.

I have a very similar tale of woe to theguzman, being from rural Ireland, being very interested in tech from a very young age, trying to make do with dialup for years when the urban areas were leaving the rest of the country behind. I dread to think of how many missed opportunities we've had in Ireland when our smart young people with big startup ideas were hamstrung by lack of proper internet connection and took their ideas to the USA instead.

I have to agree with the FF sentiments. I've voted for them all my life but after their carry on with the NBP I won't even answer the door to their canvassers not to mind vote for them in the next (or any!) election.

since fg pushed nbp last local elections , i finally got registered to vote fg forever. and reading leaflets
    from ff which they mentioned their other options for nbp which were so uneducated tripe , i cant wait to meet them ...lol.

theguzman wrote: »

agree with everything you said , but.....irish children??? please .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

allanpkr wrote:

As opposed to Dubs, I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »

They'll have to get hedge trimming completed. They've got until the 1st March for that. I'd be hugely surprised if there is anyone connected within weeks. It doesn't seem possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They'll have to get hedge trimming completed. They've got until the 1st March for that. I'd be hugely surprised if there is anyone connected within weeks. It doesn't seem possible.

Il have to dig up my driveway so. Get the access pipes ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

you never know tis possible that they have a plan in place ready to go already once its signed, wishful thinking I know but it'd be nice if they started quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

There will be no connections until retailers are ready. Sept 2020 at the earliest.

joe_99 wrote: »
    There will be no connections until retailers are ready. Sept 2020 at the earliest.

Yeah, they are only planning for passing 10000 premises in the first year, which equates to 33% of an eir 300k quarter.

joe_99 wrote: »

where is this "fact" from.

allanpkr wrote: »
    where is this "fact" from.

Retailers holding up connections.

Nonsense in a nutshell

listermint wrote: »
    Retailers holding up connections.

Nonsense in a nutshell

There will be nothing to connect to for the guts of 12 months.

There will be nothing to connect to for the guts of 12 months.

I never said there would.

I said retailers holding it up ....

• Advertisement

I never said there would.

I said retailers holding it up ....

I expect joe knows what he's talking about in relation to getting retailers onboard. This is a brand new wholesale company after all.

as far as i know its upto customers to apply to retailers to provide broadband once ftth is layed. on the time line nbi has already stated what it will be. my point is guessing, should not be put across as a fact.

I expect joe knows what he's talking about in relation to getting retailers onboard. This is a brand new wholesale company after all.

Retailers could turn this around in two months if there was sales involved.

Anyone with knowledge of new business would know that. Suggesting retailers would hold the show up for a year is laughable. Are these cornershops we are discussing.

The national Union of amateur businesses?

as far as i know its upto customers to apply to retailers to provide broadband once ftth is layed. on the time line nbi has already stated what it will be. my point is guessing, should not be put across as a fact.

How do you know he's guessing? NBI have held meetings with retailers explaining the situation. This is a massive undertaking. It's essentially setting up a new wholesale network in the country with all the bureaucracy that entails.

Retailers could turn this around in two months if there was sales involved.

Anyone with knowledge of new business would know that. Suggesting retailers would hold the show up for a year is laughable. Are these cornershops we are discussing.

The national Union of amateur businesses?

I don't think he said that retailers would hold up the show. It's quite possible that NBI will not have ordering process procedures in place until then.

I was really thinking of tech professionals often American's, Israelis and Indians who form alot of the highly educated IT work force within Dublin. I can see how it was misconstrued as something entirely which was no my intention.

Coming back to the National Broadband Plan I wonder if we will see certain particular black spots targeted first, I'm also very interested in the remote hub plans. My local village would most likely be the location if such a hub was to be placed there. However the village has 70mb VDSL and is not in the NBP intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Currently NBI has no processes in place. No documentation on how to connect. No interconnect points defined and no contracts with any retailers in place.

To give an idea, on how long that would take:

With SIRO the process from signing contracts to starting to sell is typically 3-6 months. Contract negotiations before that can take a few months, too.

With OpenEir the onboarding process takes anything from 12-18 months typically.

Both examples above have their tech defined, their interconnects defined and their processes in place. Things that NBI will need to do additionally. So should the contract be signed tomorrow, it would take anything from 12-24 months before we see the first connections.

Let alone issues that arise, if anyone mounts legal challenges.

Signing the contracts does magically build and operate a network.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Marlow wrote: »

Signing the contracts does magically build and operate a network.

/M
    Cool always wondered how it worked sure this should be done in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Lets wait for some detail before the arguments start about rollout (although I'm happy it's about rollout and not signing). We all know its going to take time for this to ramp up and get going, but the main thing is it is happening. Nothing Marlow or anyone else that wanted it to fall flat on its face can do anything about it now.

Jesus lads - lets take one day to celebrate the fact that this will be signed today - we've been waiting years and years for this day!!

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    Lets wait for some detail before the arguments start about rollout (although I'm happy it's about rollout and not signing). We all know its going to take time for this to ramp up and get going, but the main thing is it is happening. Nothing Marlow or anyone else that wanted it to fall flat on its face can do anything about it now.

Jesus lads - lets take one day to celebrate the fact that this will be signed today - we've been waiting years and years for this day!!

You can celebrate when the first home is connected and that sweet sweet light is beaming down the cable

Advertisement