Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Orebro wrote: »
    Lets wait for some detail before the arguments start about rollout (although I'm happy it's about rollout and not signing). We all know its going to take time for this to ramp up and get going, but the main thing is it is happening. Nothing Marlow or anyone else that wanted it to fall flat on its face can do anything about it now.

Jesus lads - lets take one day to celebrate the fact that this will be signed today - we've been waiting years and years for this day!!

+1 after much wasted money and previous broadband plans this one actually uses the right technology for once .
    having nor been covered by the 3 plan and a previous donegal wireless one where the supplier insisted you sign a contract before telling you whether they covered you or not and imagine not covering me, im hoping this one actually comes to fruition

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

having nor been covered by the 3 plan

You didn't miss much on the NBS, it was absolutely shocking. First modem was 1Mbit down 56K up in 2008, then HSPA came out and it was between 1Mbit and 5Mbit for 4ish years. Three is still terrible if you use 4G, 5-10Mbit. Only saving grace was forcing the modem to only use 3G which was a bit more stable. Imagine is OK but a matter of time before they over subscribe the mast im on.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

How do you know he's guessing? NBI have held meetings with retailers explaining the situation. This is a massive undertaking. It's essentially setting up a new wholesale network in the country with all the bureaucracy that entails.
    so whose setting up wholesale business ....nbi ok. when they are done , retailers are ready to go. my local wisp i use is ready to go. so no fetailers will not hold angthing up. conjecture is not fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

One can only hope that a lot of the legwork on setting up the agreement infrastructure behind this has been done by now and is ready to go,once the main contract is signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The NBP map has been updated. BCPs have been added and it appears the extra ~40k that eir passed have been removed. I expect this is the final map.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Approved by Cabinet now as per Irish Times. A great day for those on the wrong side of the digital divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Marlow wrote: »
    Currently NBI has no processes in place. No documentation on how to connect. No interconnect points defined and no contracts with any retailers in place.

/M

Unless you work for NBI, I don't know how anyone could claim this.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

The NBP map has been updated. BCPs have been added and it appears the extra ~40k that eir passed have been removed. I expect this is the final map.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

So thats the potential map which is fine - are we expecting that there will be more detail put against that shortly after the contract is signed?

Things like this area is expected to have fibre laid in late 2020, this area in mid 2021 etc

djd80 wrote: »
    So thats the potential map which is fine - are we expecting that there will be more detail put against that shortly after the contract is signed?

Things like this area is expected to have fibre laid in late 2020, this area in mid 2021 etc

I would not expect that detail today, no. I expect they will release that at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Cabinet approves controversial €3bn rural broadband contract

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-approves-controversial-3bn-rural-broadband-contract-1.4087859

Great day, great news.

• Advertisement

Lots of premises to be covered in towns and cities. Cork city is peppered with such premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Wow, a BCP within a Km of my house (planned) - wtf does that actually mean?

Who decided on the BCPs? The contractor? ComReg? how? With what 'authority'?

BarryM wrote: »
    Wow, a BCP within a Km of my house (planned) - wtf does that actually mean?

Who decided on the BCPs? The contractor? ComReg? how? With what 'authority'?

DCCAE, with help from local broadband officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

DCCAE, with help from local broadband officers.

WTF is a 'broadband officer' Did I hear they work for the CoCo? What basis have they for deciding on BCPs?

It's a crock of a map
    Look what it does with my house when I put in my eircode
    The lane into my farm comes from the road in the amber area at the top
    That's where the poles into my farm come from and where I got my Éir line
    The house is in blue because to the south of the farm much further away there is s fibre enabled cabinet
    To get to that cabinet from my house, you need to go through 2 fields and then a kilometer of road that has no telephone poles

So do I ring up Éir immediately and say install me,put in the 20 poles ...

Contact DCCAE and get the premises removed from the map.

Sorry what's a bcp?
    Also in my attached map,the Éir fibre is half a km away along the road to the right at the top
    Map and eircode says I'm due Éir fibre from the south 2kms away and 20 plus new poles...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sorry what's a bcp?
    Also in my attached map,the Éir fibre is half a km away along the road to the right at the top
    Map and eircode says I'm due Éir fibre from the south 2kms away and 20 plus new poles...

Broadband Connection Point
    Initially, the focus will be on connecting 300 broadband connection points in community settings such as GAA clubs, community centres and public libraries across the country.

These shared hubs will provide a free high-speed broadband service to people living in rural areas while they await the arrival of a high-speed connection to their own premises.

Surveys of ducts, poles and other infrastructure will begin within the next two months, with the west and midwest likely to see the first work, RTÉ News understands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a glorious day.

Fair play to the government. They were under so much pressure to bin this or go for cheaper alternatives but they knew that Fibre is best possible technology that will drive Rural local economies for decades to come

New NBI site launched with maps and a facility to enter Eircode and email for updates.

https://nbi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Surveys of ducts, poles and other infrastructure will begin within the next two months, with the west and midwest likely to see the first work, RTÉ News understands.

Smell of an election on the horizon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

In the coming weeks, NBI will publish a map detailing each individual premises included in the rollout, including an indicative timeline for service delivery.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

They seem to be hitting the ground running if the website is anything to go by.

Jim

In the coming weeks, NBI will publish a map detailing each individual premises included in the rollout, including an indicative timeline for service delivery. In the meantime, if you would like to check if your premises is covered by the National Broadband Plan, please visit the DCCAE website here to find out.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

So is my premises in NBI or Éir
    To repeat
    Line comes from road in amber area at the top
    House is in blue because of a cabinet 2 fields and 2kms away with no poles
    See attached

How many situations like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mortelaro wrote: »
    So is my premises in NBI or Éir
    To repeat
    Line comes from road in amber area at the top
    House is in blue because of a cabinet 2 fields and 2kms away with no poles
    See attached

How many situations like that?

What does it say on the page? It should say "Your premises is in..."

• Advertisement

What does it say on the page? It should say "Your premises is in..."

It says I'm in the blue area:eek:

It said that before and then said amber and now it's back to blue

But to be clear,to be covered from that box to my south would mean 20 plus poles along a road with none,to a field at a back entrance to the farm and then up through two fields

Its surely an anomaly

Advertisement