Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It says I'm in the blue area:eek:

It said that before and then said amber and now it's back to blue

But to be clear,to be covered from that box to my south would mean 20 plus poles along a road with none,to a field at a back entrance to the farm and then up through two fields

Its surely an anomaly

Contact them anyway at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie to make sure you're included in NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Nbi website updated (I think) allows you enter eircode and email address to keep up to date on info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Contact them anyway at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie to make sure you're included in NBP.

Will do
    I'd contacted Eir 2 yrs ago and they said no

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/News/Spotlights/High-speed_broadband_for_1_1M_people_in_Homes_Schools_Businesses_across_Ireland_to_start_within_8_Weeks.html
    Following the announcement of the European Commission, the Department can now confirm that the final intervention area is now confirmed at 537,596 premises. The following changes to the map have been made:

-37,000 premises originally identified as being served by commercial operators (the “Blue” premises), have not materialised and will therefore be included in the intervention area and the map has also been updated for approximately an additional 2,000 premises identified in the latest Ordinance Survey Ireland data

-Eir has passed approximately 34,000 more premises than the 300,000 it had originally undertaken to pass with its fibre rural network and SIRO has passed 4,000 premises in the intervention area as part of its wider fibre network rollout. These approximately 38,000 premises have been removed from the intervention area.

• Advertisement

Government press conference following the signing of the contract, approx. 40mins - https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1MnxnEgAnwLJO

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1196748606327476224

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

a great day for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

westyIrl wrote: »

"The majority of premises will get fibre broadband, but up to 5 per cent located in the most remote areas will have wireless connection."

As someone who Eir determined wasn't comercially viable this statement scares me. This is the first I've heard of this crap, whats the deal there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

"The majority of premises will get fibre broadband, but up to 5 per cent located in the most remote areas will have wireless connection."

As someone who Eir determined wasn't comercially viable this statement scares me. This is the first I've heard of this crap, whats the deal there?

You will still get high speed the same as others even if you are amongst the small number getting it through a wireless connection.

I dunno what scares you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I dunno what scares you about it.

Every other WISP I've ever used scares me about it

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Even if you're one of those 5 percent it's still proper broadband. The problem with wireless bb is contention. It's why the likes of imagine can provide 150mb in the morning and only 1.5 at night.
    Thered be little to no contention for a one off location amongst the 5 percent

26850 (5%) is an awful lot of wireless premises when you start look at spectrum for high speed connections. I would hope the total would be a lot less than that.

Every other WISP I've ever used scares me about it

The existing Wisps will not be involved (unless as sub-contractor) and you will have the same service as those with FTTH.

Nothing to be worried about.

In fact in a lot of cases a good wireless connection could be much more convenient for the user.

26850 (5%) is an awful lot of wireless premises when you start look at spectrum for high speed connections. I would hope the total would be a lot less than that.

I expect it will come down to economics.

I expect it will come down to economics.

As always!

The other aspect of available spectrum ...... if the spectrum is not made available then the State would be open to claims of not meeting their obligations (in the contract) I suspect.
    Else that contingency could be applied to most of those 5% to pay the cost of FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

FG have guaranteed my vote for next election despite them making a mess of a number of issues (Housing, Health, etcccc)...they have prolonged this far longer than was needed too but I'll give them a pass! (For next election only).
    Labour can go take a hike for good, as can the greens.
    FF I'll give a chance again, they had the power to pull the plug but haven't so fair play (Despite some of the drivel from Timmahhhhh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Will there be a means of knowing if/when your house will be connected?

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

The rollout plan is to be published following the signing of the contract, I assume it'll be made available in due course.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111805323&postcount=1497

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So will NBI have access to both the state owned MAN’s and fibre backhaul network or is it just the MAN network?

irishfeen wrote: »
    So will NBI have access to both the state owned MAN’s and fibre backhaul network or is it just the MAN network?

I assume they'll have access to whatever backhaul network enet have but that has no bearing on the fact that they will have to build the access network from scratch.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I assume they'll have access to whatever backhaul network enet have but that has no bearing on the fact that they will have to build the access network from scratch.

As I understand it, they're only building an access network. Backhaul is the retail ISP's problem.

Yes but If they have access to the backhaul fibre then it makes it significantly easier, us for instance are some 20km or more from the nearest MAN.

I don’t know anything much about the backhaul fibre network but do we know can you access it at any point along the line or must it be taken off it at dedicated substations?

Yes but If they have access to the backhaul fibre then it makes it significantly easier, us for instance are some 20km or more from the nearest MAN.

I don’t know anything much about the backhaul fibre network but do we know can you access it at any point along the line or must it be taken off it at dedicated substations?

They will be using open eir exchanges also.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As I understand it, they're only building an access network. Backhaul is the retail ISP's problem.

That would be similar to SIRO's model?

They will be using open eir exchanges also.

As in the exchanges owned by Eir which have been upgraded with the roll out of the Eir FTTH?

• Advertisement

As in the exchanges owned by Eir which have been upgraded with the roll out of the Eir FTTH?

Yes. Some of them.

Advertisement