Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

They will be also offering a Bitstream product, operators can connect to it in Dublin. This will give them access to all of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thanks. We're on the plan according to the Gov website but I'm still not convinced they'll come up our back road to connect 4 houses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yes. Some of them.

Ok I didn’t know that, I had presumed they were only allowed the use of Eir poles, so we will probably have the situation where eir FTTH cables will run alongside NBI cables on the same pole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ok I didn’t know that, I had presumed they were only allowed the use of Eir poles, so we will probably have the situation where eir FTTH cables will run alongside NBI cables on the same pole?

Yeah. Amazing isn't it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That would be similar to SIRO's model?

Yup. Points of Interconnect will be provided, and it's up to the retailer to connect from those to their core network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yeah. Amazing isn't it.

At least building this part of the NBI network will be very fast as Eir upgraded most if not all of the substandard poles.

The rest of the network is in an awful state.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Just caught part of RTE Radio 1 News and newscaster said some locations would be connected first (have to start somewhere I suppose). The only name I caught was Connemara but there were others.

Edit: Just heard Will Goodbody again. Carrigaline & parts of Limerick, Kilkenny, Connemara. Random list but think I have that right.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

The main thing that wireless causes issues with for me is latency jitter and buffer bloat. I suppose it comes down to what technology they end up using for it. If they're making use of some existing openEir exchanges they may be able to just run that extra few hundred meters from the eir rollout to me anyway - there's a good amount of houses in the area to make it worth it for them.

The main thing that wireless causes issues with for me is latency jitter and buffer bloat. I suppose it comes down to what technology they end up using for it. If they're making use of some existing openEir exchanges they may be able to just run that extra few hundred meters from the eir rollout to me anyway - there's a good amount of houses in the area to make it worth it for them.

They will not be using existing cabling so it would have to come from the exchange if it were one of the exchanges used.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

westyIrl wrote: »
    Just caught part of RTE Radio 1 News and newscaster said some locations would be connected first (have to start somewhere I suppose). The only name I caught was Connemara but there were others.

you didnt hear if they mentioned my house on rte radio?

• Advertisement

Congratulations if you live in:
    Surveying and design teams will start work in early January in the first deployment locations. These include Carrigaline in county Cork, parts of Connemara in west Galway, and several towns in the counties of Kilkenny and Limerick.

https://nbi.ie/news/events/2019/11/19/commission-approves-e2-6-billion-public-support-for-the-irish-national-broadband-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Today feels like all my x-mas coming at once :):P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Just seen the NBP map.Most of my estate is in blue but some houses are dotted in orange which will be covered by NBP WHY would they skip houses im in the blue but only have 23mbps down and 6 up a friend of mine around the corner who is also in the blue has 11mbps down but the house beside him is in orange. Surely this cant be right. All the lines in our estate are connected back to the exchange we have no cabinate and according my router im 850m from the exchange.

Just seen the NBP map.Most of my estate is in blue but some houses are dotted in orange which will be covered by NBP WHY would they skip houses im in the blue but only have 23mbps down and 6 up a friend of mine around the corner who is also in the blue has 11mbps down but the house beside him is in orange. Surely this cant be right. All the lines in our estate are connected back to the exchange we have no cabinate and according my router im 850m from the exchange.

Contact Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie ASAP and inform them of this. Ask to be included in the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So If my road is in orange on the map we can rest easy knowing that eventually we will have fibre?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    So If my road is in orange on the map we can rest easy knowing that eventually we will have fibre?

The plan is made up of individual premises listed by Eircode but yes highly likely that you will get a fibre connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Can this thread now be closed :)

could i slip nbi a few quid to slip me up earlier on list?

user1842 wrote: »
    Can this thread now be closed :)

It's only just beginning...

• Advertisement

ill buy 1st round to all nbp supporters, aah feck it , ill even buy marlow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

New thread needed now. I suggest a title of National Broadband Implementation (NBI) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

For sure, the next bit is the real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

joe_99 wrote: »
    They will be also offering a Bitstream product, operators can connect to it in Dublin. This will give them access to all of the country.

There's many providers, who would not be happy with that concept. Simply because it means that they entirely rely on NBI and have no idea of the capacity available between the customer and themselves. So a quality orientated provider would try to avoid that.

Sure .. those providers who just want quantity .. for them it'll be fine.

The SIRO concept is actually a better way of doing things, with the option of getting bitstream through third-party, but at least having more than one option.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There's many providers, who would not be happy with that concept. Simply because it means that they entirely rely on NBI and have no idea of the capacity available between the customer and themselves. So a quality orientated provider would try to avoid that.

Sure .. those providers who just want quantity .. for them it'll be fine.

The SIRO concept is actually a better way of doing things, with the option of getting bitstream through third-party, but at least having more than one option.

/M

It sounds like it will be an option not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What limits are place on new commercial expansion in these NBP/I areas; Siro, Openeir, or Virgin.

Some of the areas are right in the middle of blue urban areas or right on the verge, can the existing networks expand or is eirs current rural FTTH it and they've to wait for the NBI.

Varik wrote: »
    What limits are place on new commercial expansion in these NBP/I areas; Siro, Openeir, or Virgin.

Some of the areas are right in the middle of blue urban areas or right on the verge, can the existing networks expand or is eirs current rural FTTH it and they've to wait for the NBI.

No limits. They are free to expand into intervention areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

No limits. They are free to expand into intervention areas.
    Yes, I'm still puzzled by Eir's claim that it had identified an additional 80,000 (?) premises that were commercial. They were clearly laying down some sort of marker.

Either way, is anyone still claiming that this will end in tears .......Ed E?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

More details.....

NBI had also agreed to extend the contract for an additional 10 years to 35 years without any additional cost.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/location-of-300-high-speed-internet-hubs-revealed-under-broadband-plan-1.4088382

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Anybody else feel these hubs are a waste of a years rollout?

Advertisement