Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Another negative piece from Colm McCarthy. Whatever your opinion about the NBP, I think he makes an interesting point about the scrutiny around such projects. It does seem broken when you consider that
    No public project of any significance has ever been abandoned because the consultants, engaged by the project promoters, failed to find enough benefits to justify the admitted costs

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/colm-mccarthy-flawed-project-puts-public-money-at-risk-38720730.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Another negative piece from Colm McCarthy. Whatever your opinion about the NBP, I think he makes an interesting point about the scrutiny around such projects. It does seem broken when you consider that

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/colm-mccarthy-flawed-project-puts-public-money-at-risk-38720730.html

I don't understand what's implied by the quoted bit ? Your take on what be means ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

allanpkr wrote: »
    totally true amount of data in near future is totally beyond wireless ability.

I've seen speedtests using 5g and if you get a great speed right next to a node, you can use your monthly data cap in less than 1 minute.

5g is also incredibly sensitive to line of sight and distance, much more sensitive than 3g or 4g.Hills, even trees and walls can block signals or reduce them massively over a very short distance.

Data limits on wireless services is already tight. In a year's time the next generation of gaming consoles will be released, many of today's games are in excess of 100gigs of data per download file. I can see games in 2020 and beyond going for 200+gigs of data per file with much improved textures etc adding enormously to file sizes. Patches and software updates are also getting larger all the time. We will need much more data in about 2 years time than we do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

in my opinion the consultants were wrong. 6000k per household seems a lot. its not. this is a system that is future proof. imagine the benefits to this country in the future. it can only be a positive thing for ireland . unless anyone ,anyone at all can tell me any negative thing.
    in sometime in future 3billion will seem cheap for what we got, for future generations .

listermint wrote: »
    I don't understand what's implied by the quoted bit ? Your take on what be means ?

The quote is from McCarthy in the article. I think the quote highlights that scrutiny around large capital projects is broken. Consultants, hired by the project's champions have never seen fit to give a negative outlook on any large project. You could see where there may be a conflict of interest.

• Advertisement

The quote is from McCarthy in the article. I think the quote highlights that scrutiny around large capital projects is broken. Consultants, hired by the project's champions have never seen fit to give a negative outlook on any large project. You could see where there may be a conflict of interest.

Ah I see.

I suppose then I don't really get his point . Has he worked in any large projects? Because the consultants are usually brought in to determine best approach to get the end result. I don't know of any project where consultants are contracted to prevent the project from being done.

I mean it's a bit of stupid point. The goal of the project had been decided from the outset. Hence the point of a projects inception.

Ah I see.

I suppose then I don't really get his point . Has he worked in any large projects? Because the consultants are usually brought in to determine best approach to get the end result. I don't know of any project where consultants are contracted to prevent the project from being done.

I mean it's a bit of stupid point. The goal of the project had been decided from the outset. Hence the point of a projects inception.

I think it's more the cost benefit analyses. I thought it was an interesting article but it's not something I am overly familiar with. The discussion probably is more at home in the infrastructure forum or similar.

I think it's more the cost benefit analyses. I thought it was an interesting article but it's not something I am overly familiar with. The discussion probably is more at home in the infrastructure forum or similar.

In my view the outcome is we require a national broadband infrastructure for all the reasons discussed in this thread. In terms of cost benefit I'm not even sure it's measurable but presumption that new business incubation, removal of traffic off roads, inward investment, world class infrastructure. I don't know how you out a figure on that.

But if his argument was that you can get it done cheaper then. All ears,lay it out . Seems like another article for space on a page.

In my view the outcome is we require a national broadband infrastructure for all the reasons discussed in this thread. In terms of cost benefit I'm not even sure it's measurable but presumption that new business incubation, removal of traffic off roads, inward investment, world class infrastructure. I don't know how you out a figure on that.

But if his argument was that you can get it done cheaper then. All ears,lay it out . Seems like another article for space on a page.

exactly what it is, space on a page. what can i write about??? hmmmm nbp is news at moment, what angle can i come in with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

He's been fairly quiet the last few months. Not a peep during the last minute Eir intervention if I recall correctly. I was (but shouldn't have been) surprised that none of the anti NBP crowd had much to say about that. Now that the contract is signed and can't be overturned, it's safe to come back out and continue the whinge.

As someone on this site pointed out recently. The only true thing that can be said about cost benefit analyses, is that they will be wrong. But economists love them all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

allanpkr wrote: »
    totally true amount of data in near future is totally beyond wireless ability.

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Do you forget McCarty was hired by the WISPs as a consultant?

KOR101 wrote: »

Lol, didn't know that. Did he declare that in his article.

No, I remember that! I'm not sure if he is still on the payroll though.
    Lol, didn't know that. Did he declare that in his article.

It was back in 2015. A group of WISPs commissioned him to rubbish a PwC benefit analysis on the NBP.

https://bizplus.ie/broadband-plan-seriously-flawed/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No, I remember that! I'm not sure if he is still on the payroll though.

Hardly. Because the group that commissioned him does not exist any longer.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Marlow wrote: »
    Hardly. Because the group that commissioned him for said report does not exist any longer.

/M
    When you talk in public you should declare any conflict of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

When do they expect to have shovels in the ground?

Could this be a pre election promise which will slow down or go by the wayside once a new government is formed?

When do they expect to have shovels in the ground?

Could this be a pre election promise which will slow down or go by the wayside once a new government is formed?

Within eight weeks according to

https://nbi.ie/news/media/2019/11/19/national-broadband-ireland-nbi-sign-historic-contract-to-deliver-national-broadband-plan-to-over-a-million-people-across-the-island/

No, I don't see how it could go by the wayside.

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    When you talk in public you should declare any conflict of interest

I don't have any conflict of interest in the matter. I had never anything to do with said group. Simples.

I just know a lot of background on that specific matter.

/M

not sure your being serious marlow, but obvously he meant jounalist should declare conflict of interest. any person in public life , be it journalist or td must as a matter of course declare any conflict of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I don't have any conflict of interest in the matter. I had never anything to do with said group. Simples.

I just know a lot of background on that specific matter.

/M
    I don't mean you, I am talking about

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I don't mean you, I am talking about

Well .. you only quoted me. And with the personal attacks against me here in recent times, I take such quotes seriously.

/M

Well .. you only quoted me.

/M

Had an old geography teacher who used to always say.

The world doesn't revolve around you.

:)

Had an old geography teacher who used to always say.

The world doesn't revolve around you.

:)

He may have been wrong :p

/M

/M

wow, you were serious, you thought he meant you. his geography teacher was obviously right. lol.

/M

She. And she was a hard women. Not to be crossed :)

She. And she was a hard women. Not to be crossed :)

Clearly wrong, so .... :p and disconnected from real life.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

thanks westy, that will surely kill off any of their mumbling about 5g fantasy plans

If polititians start apearing at my door going on about some alternative my only question to them would when ? and then call their bull**** if they say it can be done within the same timescale as the NBP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Make sure to check your local papers about the results of such votes, and spread them on social media.

News of objections to the NBP by rural politicians needs to be be spread, and those objecting need to be called out. I bet the FF councillors will be absent or abstain from those votes.

So when they land on your doorstep they can say "Well I didn't vote against it, shur".

This kind of BS really infuriates me. FG are guilty of it too when an opposition party proposes a motion that literally everyone would agree with. They vote against it 'because it was the other side who proposed it' and then a while later propose something ostensibly identical and have it pass because of a majority of votes.

Vote for the good of the people for once, ye twats.

Advertisement