Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

we should just wait ........... all this chat about nothing............wait .......it will get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The bcps are political. Have to be seen doing something because fibre for many is a long way off. Highly doubt the bcps are nbi's idea...and the chances of them being upgraded to fibre in the future are slim to nil. Makes no sense if fibre is in every house in the country. Apart from school usage , why would you bother.

Using wireless for them is hilarious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tototoe wrote: »
    The bcps are political. Have to be seen doing something because fibre for many is a long way off. Highly doubt the bcps are nbi's idea...and the chances of them being upgraded to fibre in the future are slim to nil. Makes no sense if fibre is in every house in the country. Apart from school usage , why would you bother.

Using wireless for them is hilarious though.

Political yes.

They might make no financial sense, but political sense definitely.

As those locations will be served by fibre when it reaches them, the masts will be dismantled and can then be used for those 'hard to reach' premises which will need to be served by wireless.

While I would tend to agree on the idea of the uselessness of those BCPs, I fully understand why they were desirable politically.
    If they are part of the reason this NBP got the 'go-ahead' then so be it.
    I am happy for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Political yes.

They might make no financial sense, but political sense definitely.

As those locations will be served by fibre when it reaches them, the masts will be dismantled and can then be used for those 'hard to reach' premises which will need to be served by wireless.

While I would tend to agree on the idea of the uselessness of those BCPs, I fully understand why they were desirable politically.
    If they are part of the reason this NBP got the 'go-ahead' then so be it.
    I am happy for all.

I suspect NBI will have zero ownership or use for the infrastructure used to roll out BCPs. They will be outsourced completely while NBI focus on actually passing homes with proper fibre. BCPs are a waste of time in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As for the question asked before on premises along the line.

NBI will never connect any premises that are not part of the NBP. Even if they pass them. Nor will they ever do anything apart from wholesale.

They can't. Because the government is paying the chunk between the rural areas and how NBI gets there. If NBI starts enabling premises en route, that are not part of the NBP, then NBI will have to carry the full cost of that piece of build.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bee Free

What explanation do you fibre fanboys have for the very low take up of rural Eir fibre where it's available? I know a rural estate of 40 houses where only 1 house has signed up to Eir fibre .

Bee Free wrote: »
    What explanation do you fibre fanboys have for the very low take up of rural Eir fibre where it's available? I know a rural estate of 40 houses where only 1 house has signed up to Eir fibre .

- Installation cost
    - price point
    - civils needed to connect and the price of that then
    - the fact, that some people are just happy with mobile broadband.
    - people being in long contracts already not being able to switch
    - and that a lot of people don't know, they can get FTTH

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

allanpkr wrote: »
    we should just wait ........... all this chat about nothing............wait .......it will get here.

BIG yawn..... I have been waiting for......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

And the " rural estate 9f 40 houses" you talk about, what existing broadband services are available to it ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...fibre fanboys...

What a silly, reductionist phrase. What does it even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Should you not be busy concocting up some more amazing marketing material for the Christmas period Sean?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »
    - Installation cost

- and that a lot of people don't know, they can get FTTH

/M

That's definitely an issue. Eir's marketing of FTTH going live in areas is extremely poor to non existent. If only other service providers had even half of Imagine's hunger for marketing, they would sell more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Gonzo wrote: »
    That's definitely an issue. Eir's marketing of FTTH going live in areas is extremely poor to non existent. If only other service providers had even half of Imagine's hunger for marketing, they would sell more.

Really? There were teams of them around here for about a week when it went live and that was fibre to the cabinets. Ruralish area. Same with Vodafone. 2 vans around here for days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tototoe wrote: »
    Really? There were teams of them around here for about a week when it went live and that was fibre to the cabinets. Ruralish area. Same with Vodafone. 2 vans around here for days.

There was very little fanfare in my area, although most were clued in when they saw the lads running fibre along the poles. A few houses in our area who had no idea FTTH was available to them, ended up getting Imagine for 5 euros per month extra, months after the FTTH rollout was complete. Not surprised as there is Imagine signage and adverts everywhere. I'm sure the Eir/Vodafone reps went around for a day or two, but not everyone is at home during the day. There is no signage or adverts for FTTH in our area even tho it's available all over.

BarryM wrote: »
    BIG yawn..... I have been waiting for......:mad:

me 2

in all probability you may be correct, nbi will pass some houses not on nbp. but there must come a time, what length i dont know, when the free market , competition must be allowed and this ftth will be open to all in the market to supply ftth broadband. as i say time limit not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And the " rural estate 9f 40 houses" you talk about, what existing broadband services are available to it ?

They already have a product with fiber in the name(vdsl) and it providers slower than advertised speeds why are Eir trying to upsell me more fibrer!

This is what I'm sure many people must be thinking

Take up is actually quite good. Running at 25%. Starting from zero that is pretty good in a few years and will only get better.

joe_99 wrote: »
    Take up is actually quite good. Running at 25%. Starting from zero that is pretty good in a few years and will only get better.

Where did you find 25% figures ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Its the waiting that's the worst, driving past areas just up the road that have fibre and we need to wait for god knows how long. Atleast if they published the timeframe you'd know when youd get it, any news on when thats going to be up?

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Its the waiting that's the worst, driving past areas just up the road that have fibre and we need to wait for god knows how long. Atleast if they published the timeframe you'd know when youd get it, any news on when thats going to be up?

i would imagine not early next yr.

Pilot Q4/2020 in Galway and Carrigaline. And you'd better know somebody in one of the providers to get a connection. Then early Q1/2021 (maybe still Q4/2020) Limerick and Kilkenny. Still pilot.

130k premises in 2021.

Those figures have been announced.

/M

Pilot Q4/2020 in Galway and Carrigaline. And you'd better know somebody in one of the providers to get a connection. Then early Q1/2021 (maybe still Q4/2020) Limerick and Kilkenny. Still pilot.

130k premises in 2021.

Those figures have been announced.

/M
    hmm rest of ireland ?? when will that be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Can they really not connect anyone till late next year, that’s abit of a joke tbh. What are they doing for the next year?

Can they really not connect anyone till late next year, that’s abit of a joke tbh. What are they doing for the next year?

Building their delivery and distibution network. Surveying every premise based on satelite data and what not. Right now they have ground zero. Do not think they have done any survey work before the contract was signed. Not a chance. This is a finance business. They don't spend money until it is in the bag. Belts and suspenders in place.

How on earth do you think they will get to these areas ? Using magic ? Do you know how long it takes from the point of contact to the point of the circuit going live to get a single 10gig wave online between Galway and Dublin ? It's not days .. I can tell you that. 3 months is generally optimistic. If they use OpenEir more like 6-9 months and plus.

And all of this is under political scrutiny. So every dime, every penny and any shoelace has to be accounted and argued for.

So yes ... these figures are realistic. I reckon it will be less premises than stated connected in 2021. Because of the mess that was left behind by taking the 300k out of the NBP.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The first 35 locations to be built have been announced. It seems they have sourced getter quality optics than open eir as the distance limit has been increased to 30km apparently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/broadband-plan-first-35-areas-to-get-high-speed-service-are-revealed-1.4107462

There's a huge focus on the MAN towns in the first 35 locations. Practically all of them are enet locations.

Building their delivery and distibution network. Surveying every premise based on satelite data and what not. Right now they have ground zero. Do not think they have done any survey work before the contract was signed. Not a chance. This is a finance business. They don't spend money until it is in the bag. Belts and suspenders in place.

How on earth do you think they will get to these areas ? Using magic ? Do you know how long it takes from the point of contact to the point of the circuit going live to get a single 10gig wave online between Galway and Dublin ? It's not days .. I can tell you that. 3 months is generally optimistic. If they use OpenEir more like 6-9 months and plus.

And all of this is under political scrutiny. So every dime, every penny and any shoelace has to be accounted and argued for.

So yes ... these figures are realistic. I reckon it will be less premises than stated connected in 2021. Because of the mess that was left behind by taking the 300k out of the NBP.

/M
    agree everything you say . but comment on its a finance business. makes no difference .no business would spend money on survey until they actually win any contract if not needed before.would be bad economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Once again, not holding my breath, I would have suffocated several times if I had ;)

The 'famous 35' that have been announced, I presume they don't include any famous BCPs?

If there is an election in Q1 2020, can we expect anything, apart from the bullshyte?

The first 35 locations to be built have been announced. It seems they have sourced getter quality optics than eir as the distance limit has been increased to 30km apparently.

They are using Nokia as platform, so it is quite different from then others. At least they are going to provision the customer end the same as everyone else.

There's a huge focus on the MAN towns in the first 35 locations. Practically all of them are enet locations.

All interconnects will be in eNet locations or OpenEir exchanges. So it does not seem that they are building their own containers like for example SIRO.

That should be interesting, because eNet has a policy, that prevents providerd from interconnecting inside their colo containers.

/M

• Advertisement

Where did you find 25% figures ?

/M

Eirs APQ file homes passed. Then ComReg's FTTH active customers (minus SIRO 50k customers).

Advertisement