Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Now that I have pointed out that you don't know what you are talking about you are waffling and spoofing, like you usually do, trying to say you didn't mean what you actually said.

I have no problem admitting, when I was wrong. Which I did.

If I am "spoofing" like you said, then it would be easier to have deleted my post. Have I ever done that ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

You said this originally

To be honest I have wasted enough time with you so I'll leave it up to others to see who they believe, if they even care, which they probably don't.

most of us im sure your correct , we dont care. but it sure is funny reading you lot wave your testosterone filled technical d^cks at each other.lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

allanpkr wrote:
    most of us im sure your correct , we dont care. but it sure is funny reading you lot wave your testosterone filled technical d^cks at each other.lol.

And who explained to you why you hadn't seen a lower value? Was it Marlow?

ok break it up be civil

fergus1001 wrote: »
    ok break it up be civil

i was being civil, i thinks its hilarious they are at each other about who knows more than the other. you need to see the funny side dont take it serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

30km radius overlay map for all points references in the Irish Times article

Slightly off topic but the IrelandOffline map has been killed off by Google's thirst for more profits. Their Fusion Tables app, which fed data to the map, has been discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Why there is a reluctance on using open eir buildings in the first phase I'm not sure. Perhaps eir are looking for massive rent on using their buildings so it makes more sense for them to use their partner's locations.
    The rent for co-location in an eircom exchange isn't actually unreasonable (there's some front-loaded cost but the ongoing is quite affordable), but naturally it makes sense to work with a company that's involved in the bid consortium where possible rather than with a direct competitor with significant market power.
    Again the 300k and the refusal to use open eir fibre is being felt now. How much time and money is going to be wasted passing by premises that already have service in this plan.

It's not a question of a refusal to use open eir fibre; there's no such product available to use. There was at one time a proposal for a "fibre to the DP" product, but it was cancelled.

I know that Carolan said that 300k fibre could be made available for NBP, but she also said that eircom could do the NBP for a billion euros. When it comes to planning a 25-year investment, I think it makes a lot more sense to make those plans on the basis of existing regulated access products rather than off-the-cuff remarks by eircom management.

Technical support for NBP - Technical advisory services to support management of the National Broadband Plan contract

Overall Role: Supporting the Technical Governance Group TGG
    "TGG will be staffed with a mixture of permanent DCCAE staff, personnel on secondment from other Government agencies and technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) resources. The technical SME resources involve specific identified roles in the TGG with supported advisory services. This section of the Request for Tender (RFT) identifies the technical services and SME resources for the TGG."
    • 2 years extendable to 4 years.
    • €3,750,000 per annum 

• Tenderer Reqs: Annual turnover > €7M over past 3 yrs
    • Consortiums/Subcontractors allowed.
    • Disciplines: technical/accounting/environmental/mapping/regulatory

RFT role descriptions are full of management speak. One of the 'deliverables' is this mouthful.
    "Creation and execution of an incident-specific delivery precision improvement plan;"

BCPs are a subset of SCPs
    "Furthermore, managing and tracking the Strategic Community Points (SCP) programme (including approximately 300 Broadband Connection Points, BCPs) will be another important function for this role." [Deployment Programme Oversight]
    No of deployment areas increased.
    "The Intervention Area is broken up into a total of 227 deployment areas."

Update
    Full RFT document at link on tweet.
    https://twitter.com/gloverstweets/status/1204332198389784576

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DCCAE have issued a tender for technical advisory services to support the NBP

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/159415/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Estimated cost €15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

How come DCCAE have not answered any of my emails regarding an NBI mapping error?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Mortelaro wrote: »
    How come DCCAE have not answered any of my emails regarding an NBI mapping error?

I'd say it's due to sheer volume of emails they have received since contract signed. It will be 12 months before they start rolling anything out so I wouldn't be too worried about being left out just yet. Just keep sending them reminder emails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

If you project the growth in FTTH connections forward to today's date i reckon we have over 160K active lines now

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Well that should certainly kill off the 'lack of uptake' naysayers once and for all. Year on year growth figures per tech give a much more complete and reflective picture than the percent uptake per year method where the percentage was, in some of the articles I read, effectively passed off as the full and final take up figure for the sake of a headline.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

westyIrl wrote: »
    Well that should certainly kill off the 'lack of uptake' naysayers once and for all. Year on year growth figures per tech give a much more complete and reflective picture than the percent uptake per year method where the percentage was, in some of the articles I read, effectively passed off as the full and final take up figure for the sake of a headline.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Jim

Lets imagine you you were with Imagine (pardon the pun) and suddenly Fibre was enabled along your road, would you settle for lada like reliability and trabant-esque speeds when you could have Ferrari speed, Rolls Royce luxury but Toyota Corolla economics? If you build it they will come and this shows for once we did something positive in Ireland and I can wait to see the first houses getting hooked up to fibre under the NBP.

Things promised and not done yet:
    • Publication of the NBP contract
    • Publication of the NBP roll-out schedule
    • Publication of the submissions to the final mapping consultation.
    • Publication of the EC’s NBP State Aid approval document (dependent on DCCAE consent).

Usual DCCAE form is to release contentious stuff on the eve of a Dáil recess or major holiday period.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

clohamon wrote: »
    • Publication of the EC’s NBP State Aid approval document (dependent on DCCAE consent).

Usual DCCAE form is to release contentious stuff on the eve of a Dáil recess or major holiday period.

hoped the roll out schedule would have been made available at this point alright

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

theguzman wrote: »
    Lets imagine you you were with Imagine (pardon the pun) and suddenly Fibre was enabled along your road, would you settle for lada like reliability and trabant-esque speeds when you could have Ferrari speed, Rolls Royce luxury but Toyota Corolla economics? If you build it they will come and this shows for once we did something positive in Ireland and I can wait to see the first houses getting hooked up to fibre under the NBP.

Just for clarity, you do understand that I agree with your point of view? My point was that the usual method of calculating uptake via %/year was all too easily cast in a negative light by media with figures of "only 20% uptake" being bandied about in loose context. These more recent year on year figures show a 92% growth in FTTP which is much more reflective of the overall picture on the ground, which strengthens the case for the government's decision to fund the NBP and justifies the chosen transport medium also. I can't wait to see the first houses to be connected either. I hope I'm one of them :). Hopefully NBI come out soon with the timeline for connections by eircode.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

westyIrl wrote: »
    Hopefully NBI come out soon with the timeline for connections by eircode.

Jim
    Are we really expecting that soon? Doesn't a finished network design come first, and then a planned work programme? Back end of 2020, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think it should be sooner than that. When they did the tender they would have had a fair idea of what is involved.

This project will be under a lot of scrutiny after what happened with the childrens hospital. We also have an election in the new year so would not surprise me if we saw a timeline before election.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »

State Aid approval document now available here.
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/elojade/isef/case_details.cfm?proc_code=3_SA_54472

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-used-dil-printer-to-make-70000-calendars-38787625.html

I know it's not nbp related but I do enjoy seeing our friend Timmy in spots of bother. 50000 calendars for timayyyyyyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Finally got an email from the department saying I was in a blue area and can get Ftth from commercial providers and gave me a list including bonkers to find the cheapest :rolleyes:

They asked me to confirm all providers refused me...

I'm in a mapping anomaly where my house is on the edge of a blue circle on their map from a cabinet that doesn't serve me
    It's about 1.5kms to the south across 2 fields and about .75kms along a road with no poles
    My landline comes in from the public road access to my house to the north,my lane and that road firmly in amber
    The house in blue because of the random blue circle from that cabinet
    I guess it would take 20 to 30 poles,many up through fields if I was to be fed from there

Attached is what Eir says when I put in my eircode

I asked the lady who replied to my email to fix the mapping anomaly
    I had explained all that in my original email but it must have been read properly

How many of these anomalies are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Finally got an email from the department saying I was in a blue area and can get Ftth from commercial providers and gave me a list including bonkers to find the cheapest :rolleyes:

They asked me to confirm all providers refused me...

I'm in a mapping anomaly where my house is on the edge of a blue circle on their map from a cabinet that doesn't serve me
    It's about 1.5kms to the south across 2 fields and about .75kms along a road with no poles
    My landline comes in from the public road access to my house to the north,my lane and that road firmly in amber
    The house in blue because of the random blue circle from that cabinet
    I guess it would take 20 to 30 poles,many up through fields if I was to be fed from there

Attached is what Eir says when I put in my eircode

I asked the lady who replied to my email to fix the mapping anomaly
    I had explained all that in my original email but it must have been read properly

I would suggest getting onto your local TDs to make the submission on your behalf. The Dept just have template emails they respond with unfortunately.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think it should be sooner than that. When they did the tender they would have had a fair idea of what is involved.

This project will be under a lot of scrutiny after what happened with the childrens hospital. We also have an election in the new year so would not surprise me if we saw a timeline before election.

i think now its signed, the political side doesnt play a part. now its just nbi business. so i would think it will be late 2020. just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

At least 61. Their map data is quite poor.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    At least 61. Their map data is quite poor.

/M

just out of interest? how do you work out its at least 61. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

allanpkr wrote: »
    just out of interest? how do you work out its at least 61. ??

It hasn't clicked with you yet that Marlow has you blocked?

It hasn't clicked with you yet that Marlow has you blocked?

yes i know he has me blocked, but my question is still there, isnt it ..? do you not wonder how he knows its at least 61? maybe not , maybe you dont question anything that doesnt make sense. thats no problem.....NOW back to my question........??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

allanpkr wrote: »
    yes i know he has me blocked, but my question is still there, isnt it ..? do you not wonder how he knows its at least 61? maybe not , maybe you dont question anything that doesnt make sense. thats no problem.....NOW back to my question........??

No need to get so f**king defensive. The way I read your question was that you were specifically asking Marlow, which he will never see. Obviously anyone else is free to answer it.

Advertisement