Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

recyclebin wrote: »
    He may as well be Howlin at the moon cause no one will listen to him and his Labour policies.

Surely it is a populist stance designed to get voters who are generally opposed to the idea of the government intervening with public money. I.E the "i'm alright Jack" brigade.

The way the article comes across (ignoring facts and playing on the misinformation that already exists) would indicate that to me.

I don't think people who support the NBP but don't support NBI being awarded the contract are the true target audience for his message.

Question is, how many voters genuinely begrudge the NBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

ArrBee wrote: »
    Surely it is a populist stance designed to get voters who are generally opposed to the idea of the government intervening with public money. I.E the "i'm alright Jack" brigade.

The way the article comes across (ignoring facts and playing on the misinformation that already exists) would indicate that to me.

I don't think people who support the NBP but don't support NBI being awarded the contract are the true target audience for his message.

Question is, how many voters genuinely begrudge the NBP?
    Labour has traditionally had a more urban vote, maybe they're playing to the "why should I pay for internet for culchies?" brigade.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ArrBee wrote: »
    Surely it is a populist stance designed to get voters who are generally opposed to the idea of the government intervening with public money.

That's an interesting tack for a left-wing party.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's an interesting tack for a left-wing party.

LOl true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Go outside of Belfast or Derry and that is not the case - there is some very very scattered FTTH of which you can only buy from BT and select few others.
    The money being allocated, less than £200m, has been acknowledged to go nowhere near what is required and unlike down here, they have admitted that wireless operators have a role to fill in this project, with wireless served homes of 30M+ being taken out of the intervention area.

Just looking at the postcode data, there's about 48,000 postcodes but only 7,600 of them are unambiguously 'white' (i.e. all premises <30Mb/s and needing improvement) and even those are not guaranteed any intervention because, as you say, there's not enough money to do the whole job.

If the object is to get as many as possible over the 30Mb/s threshold (if only barely) then BT must be favourite because they'll be able to do some of it with low cost FTTC under the UK's existing State Aid approval from 2013, (i.e before the EC's 'Gigabit Communication' of 2016)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Any thoughts on this with the election being called? Go to be a worry that an incumbent Government will pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Any thoughts on this with the election being called? Go to be a worry that an incumbent Government will pull the plug.

No one will pull the plug on the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,206 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No one will pull the plug on the NBP.

Yup it will be political suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Not sure it would mean the end of a Government if it was to pull the plug. Might make it harder in rural areas for votes. But in reality they would get enough from the i am all right jack don't spend my tax money on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If the contract was not signed you could be sure that Fianna Fail would take brown envelopes from a Wireless provider, however with the contract signed I'm confident enough and I am voting for Fine Gael over the NBP. I'm happy to wait an extra 12-24 months for a fibre solution compared to what Fianna Fail were offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

contract has been signed end of

fergus1001 wrote: »
    contract has been signed end of

Contracts will always allow for termination / exit clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

When FF didn't take the option to withdraw support over NBP signing it's hard to see why they would revisit it if they do get into power. Not a chance. It would be preferable for them to let it run and somehow take credit for it's success or blame FG if it's a cock up.

westyIrl wrote: »
    When FF didn't take the option to withdraw support over NBP signing it's hard to see why they would revisit it if they do get into power. Not a chance. It would be preferable for them to let it run and somehow take credit for it's success or blame FG if it's a cock up.

Timmy Dooley seems to have been restored to his former role. So he'll probably be able to explain to voters in rural Clare (and everyone else) whether he still thinks the NBP should be halted for another independent review.
    Timmy Dooley TD
    TD for Clare, and Spokesperson on Communications, The Environment & Natural Resources

https://www.fiannafail.ie/candidates/#clare

From another thread, which I missed and completely agree with.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112094133&postcount=350
    Happy Christmas @Navi.

I hope you're just taking a well earned break. Social media can be a trying place, but over the years you've patiently provided a veritable one-person public service to hundreds of users on this thread and others.

Hope to see you back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Lack of communication/updates from nbp (both on their website and facebook) is very poor. We all realise itl be next year before any residential premises will be connected, but at least give some info to show you're being proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

clohamon wrote: »
    From another thread, which I missed and completely agree with.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112094133&postcount=350

Have Navi's posts all gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Looks like he's changed his username?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

But it was comments about the National Broadband Plan from Leo Varakdar, in his role as Taoiseach, at an event to mark technology company Apple's 40 years in Ireland, that infuriated some of Fine Gael opponents.

Mr Varadkar said Fine Gael's political opponents "say they will tear up the contract" for the NBP.

He said "First of all, don't believe them. They're not going to do that. Second of all, they're not going to get in anyway, so it's not going to matter..."

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0120/1108518-election-campaign/

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    But it was comments about the National Broadband Plan from Leo Varakdar, in his role as Taoiseach, at an event to mark technology company Apple's 40 years in Ireland, that infuriated some of Fine Gael opponents.

Mr Varadkar said Fine Gael's political opponents "say they will tear up the contract" for the NBP.

He said "First of all, don't believe them. They're not going to do that. Second of all, they're not going to get in anyway, so it's not going to matter..."

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0120/1108518-election-campaign/

I dont believe him. I think the NBP will go ahead just not in its current form. I believe it should go ahead but again, not in its current form.

Can you really blame him? It really doesn't help when people get into long arguments with obvious trolls.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can you really blame him? It really doesn't help when people get into long arguments with obvious trolls.

Thats the issue with the thread imo. Anyone who has any criticism of the NBP no matter how legitimate is called a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pique wrote: »
    Looks like he's changed his username?

When someone closes their account is it standard practice to replace the username with random word 3 word usernames? This from some of navi's more recent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    When someone closes their account is it standard practice to replace the username with random word 3 word usernames? This from some of navi's more recent posts.

Nah .. looks like somebody hacked the account .. and then it might have been closed.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You can be certain that when FF get back into power,the NBP will be cancelled and imagine literature will be sent to all homes affected
    Well maybe not the imagine literature but they'll pause it for the committee system to examine it,which will then withdraw, paying millions probably in compensation to do so
    This is Ireland

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah .. looks like somebody hacked the account .. and then it might have been closed.

/M
    His growing impatience was obvious, so I think TheCush must be right although I haven't come across that before.

The Cush wrote: »
    Okay, so this is what happened.

Where someone requests an erasure under GDPR, it is our policy to anonymise their username. You can read more about that policy here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057934748

• Registered Users Posts: 54,206 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I miss Navi he such a great fountain of knowledge and always so helpful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

If the trolls on this thread have pushed Navi to close his account, then indeed it is a very sad state of affairs.

I cannot understand why this thread is not actively moderated.

In fact it should be closed now, the contract is signed, the NBP process is over. It's implementation time, and thus time for a new thread.

Advertisement