Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Let’s not forget Eamon Ryan was behind the disastrous NBS that delivered nothing other than <dial up via dongles/repeaters for €20.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Could we have an acronym directory for this thread ;)

I even thought baby-hrse was one! What is IFN and what is RFO?

Sorry for being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

https://twitter.com/nicola_cooke/status/1222122057569316864?s=20

Though they had started that along time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

BarryM wrote: »
    Could we have an acronym directory for this thread ;)

I even thought baby-hrse was one! What is IFN and what is RFO?

Sorry for being pedantic.

IFN is Eir's branding for their new fibre rollout:
    IFN = Ireland's Fibre Network

In the context mentioned above, I'm guessing RFO = Ready for Operations or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

NBP finally started, picture of man looking at pole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I'm guessing RFO = Ready for Operations or something similar

RFO = Ready For Order

Yer man looking up the pole is RFO? Right, F off, I'm not going up there. Health and Safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

hey , eamonn look at the height of this pole? they can go feck themselves. nbp stops here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    NBP finally started, picture of man looking at pole
    and three men looking into a hole ... gotta start somewhere I guess

plodder wrote: »
    and three men looking into a hole ... gotta start somewhere I guess

There's a step brothers parody there somewhere - Poles n' Holes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Would anyone be able to clarify something for me? So my house has rubbish broadband, 30mb or so. Same with most of the estate I live in. Now it seems 6 houses have been added to the NBP inside a so called blue area. Would it be wishful thinking for me hope that the FTTH line would be run to the whole estate instead of just those 6 houses? Image attached to clarify what I mean. The main street below has FTTH connections (I think) the red line is the road that leads into my housing estate. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Xithus wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to clarify something for me? So my house has rubbish broadband, 30mb or so. Same with most of the estate I live in. Now it seems 6 houses have been added to the NBP inside a so called blue area. Would it be wishful thinking for me hope that the FTTH line would be run to the whole estate instead of just those 6 houses? Image attached to clarify what I mean. The main street below has FTTH connections (I think) the red line is the road that leads into my housing estate. Thanks.

The basic rule is that the State Aid (NBI) may not encroach on blue areas. The threshold is ≥30Mb/s and "areas" has been taken to mean individual homes. So that would seem to rule out what you're suggesting.

It is possible that Eircom, Siro, VM will upgrade your locality as part of their commercial fibre deployments. Check the Eircom (INF) and Siro deployment plans.

It seems likely that single amber homes in otherwise blue areas would be left until last in the hope that the commercial market would eventually deliver on its own.

Ok, thanks. The town isn't listed on that INF so all I can do is hope those houses kick up enough of a stink that a cable gets run around the estate.

I can see 7 other houses within that blue area have it on fibrerollout.ie site. So someone has some sway.

Seem to be missing input from Brian Stanley TD. The references to broadband come under Public Expenditure and Reform, and Business Enterprise and Innovation; nether of which have responsibility for broadband.
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2020/SF_GE2020_Manifesto.pdf

Public Expenditure and Reform
    Fine Gael have been unable to manage expenditure or spend taxpayers’ money efficiently. Unable to manage big infrastructure projects such as the National Children’s Hospital and National Broadband Plan, taxpayers have been ripped off by a Government that is unable to deliver projects on time or on budget.
    Priorities
    Ending the privatisation of our public services and infrastructure. Instead we will promote public ownership of vital infrastructure and public service

Business, Enterprise and Innovation
    Unfortunately due to the omnishambles that has been the National Broadband Plan, under Fine Gael, many rural businesses will not see high speed broadband any time soon.
    With this reality in mind, Sinn Féin wants to establish digital hubs in rural towns across Ireland, replicating the success of the Ludgate Hub in Skibbereen. We believe the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund should partner with others to invest €1 billion over a decade regenerating town centres, including the creation of broadband hubs with work spaces for local businesses.
    These centres will give workers access to desk space with high speed broadband. We want to see these hubs established in the middle of rural towns, which will benefit local shops and help sustain our town centres.
    Sinn Féin would legislate to promote greater access to remote working, ensuring employers give due consideration to any request to work remotely made by an employee. This expansion of remote working must be accompanied by robust legal protections for workers.
    Priorities
    Rolling-out digital hubs and promoting access to remote working with protections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Would anyone be able to clarify something for me? So my house has rubbish broadband, 30mb or so.

I'd kill for that at the moment :(

Sorry to hear it. 30mb is horrible, I can't imagine it being worse. But the way things are going 30mb won't be much better than 5mb for streaming any sort of decent quality content.

Sorry to hear it. 30mb is horrible, I can't imagine it being worse. But the way things are going 30mb won't be much better than 5mb for streaming any sort of decent quality content.

lol try 2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

allanpkr wrote: »
    lol try 2mb.

... up to 3Mbps here, shared between 2 houses

The Cush wrote: »
    ... up to 3Mbps here, shared between 2 houses

wow im loaded then.with my 2mb all to me.

Netflix Full HD (1080) streams use 5Mbps, even their highest quality 4k HDR streams only use 16Mbps max (They recommend 25Mbps, but that's to allow overhead for other internet users in the same house). Only Apple that I'm aware use higher bitrates for 4k streaming, up to 30Mbps, and the vast majority of the time, the bitrate is closer to 20Mbps, so if that 30Mbps is relatively reliable, un-contended, then it's good enough for the vast majority of best-quality content from the streaming services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

If I had 30Mb, I wouldn't be moaning thats for sure.

It would be more than enough to see the house through for the next few years until some service comes along that needs more.
    I would certainly let the process progress as planned to take care of those that had no broadband at all as a priority over me, especially knowing that the Eir and Siro will get to me eventually.

True. But I'd imagine I'm not the only one who would or could have multiple streams going at the same time. Add in everything else like TV's looking for updates, security camera and whatever else you could have connected and 30mb rapidly becomes useless.

Someone with 1-5mb should be taken care of before me ofc. It doesn't make 30mb acceptable.

That said I do understand that it would be annoying seeing someone with 30mb moan when you're dealing with 3. I've seen people on this forum complaining that their 1gb connection is only getting 400mb. Lets be annoyed at them instead :)

That said I do understand that it would be annoying seeing someone with 30mb moan when you're dealing with 3. I've seen people on this forum complaining that their 1gb connection is only getting 400mb. Lets be annoyed at them instead

i for one arent annoyed, just found it funny is all. also helps that nbp will solve it soon though lol.

University of Limerick still kicking over the coals of the procurement process. (A less redacted version of KPMG's financial appraisal has been released after appeal to the Office of the Information Commissioner)

Donal Palcic correct to point out that KPMG misunderstood the effect regulation had on bidding and ’strategic value’ in 2016 here.
    https://twitter.com/DonalPalcic/status/1233092374794002433?s=20

… but incorrect in ignoring the importance of removing the 300K from the Intervention Area here.
    https://twitter.com/DonalPalcic/status/1233089455155765254?s=20

Once the underlying profitability of the NBP had been removed with the 300K, there was no rationale for any equity participation by any remaining bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Don't know if this has already been shared, but I have some news from just outside Carrigaline, Cork. A NBI engineer called to our (rural, 7km+ from exchange, no mains water) house today asking where our phone line came in. He's looking for the "vault" or otherwise, which he tells me is a box buried somewhere around here that the Eir buried infrastructure goes through. He told me they will be piggy backing off that to run the fibre through. He said in a year we should have broadband. Gave me this leaflet.

Who knows how much of that is the reality, but if it's true I'm fairly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

mp3guy wrote: »
    He said in a year we should have broadband.

Carrigaline and Galway are the initial test beds and planned for Q4 this year.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Marlow wrote: »
    Carrigaline and Galway are the initial test beds and planned for Q4 this year.

/M

Is there any clarity what areas in Galway will be targeted initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

westyIrl wrote: »
    Is there any clarity what areas in Galway will be targeted initially?

No.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    No.

/M

So, "no" is the answer to everything? I've been offline for a bit, can someone point me to a 'realistic' schedule of anything? If the best that Carrigaline (a leafy suburb of Cork?) can do is "next year" what hope for the rest of us, in far SW Cork, for example?

Advertisement