Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

BarryM wrote: »
    So, "no" is the answer to everything? I've been offline for a bit, can someone point me to a 'realistic' schedule of anything? If the best that Carrigaline (a leafy suburb of Cork?) can do is "next year" what hope for the rest of us, in far SW Cork, for example?

I don't think there is anything official online anywhere. But I don't live in a leafy suburb, too far from exchange for DSL, no cable, fixed wireless in the area is 3mb, Imagine mast too far and congested, on 4G "broadband" for now.

So it's not like they're tackling an urban area first. The project is meant to take 7 years right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058047482

new thread started for discussion on the roll out of the NBP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see Marcus Matthew's os running for the Seanad NUI panel
    Apparently he can get you broadband for €402 million in 2 years....

He doesnt say when he graduated from UCD but from the photo on the election literature, I'd say 3 years ago or less

Www.marcusmatthews.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I see Marcus Matthew's os running for the Seanad NUI panel
    Apparently he can get you broadband for €402 million in 2 years....

He doesnt say when he graduated from UCD but from the photo on the election literature, I'd say 3 years ago or less

Www.marcusmatthews.ie

well i never thought id see it in my .lifetime . a real life miracle worker anyone seen him do this miracle or......another cloud cuckoo land fool.

let's use wireless, it will be great ! 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

fergus1001 wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058047482

new thread started for discussion on the roll out of the NBP

Just curious, why two topics? If the other is for the roll out that's now happening, is there still variability in the execution of the contract to warrant a full topic?

mp3guy wrote:
    Just curious, why two topics? If the other is for the roll out that's now happening, is there still variability in the execution of the contract to warrant a full topic?

the other thread is for tracking progress ect. this thread is and has been a battle of wireless tech Vs FTTH that element of this is now over we are getting FTTH* so new thread to leave all the past behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Just wanted to give a shout out to Bertie Ahern (for selling Eircom), Noel Dialup Dempsey, Pat Rabbitte and Alex White - due to your gross incompetence over the years, with delay after delay in broadband rollout, just when the country most needed it, many don't have access to broadband and will be forced to travel into work where they could otherwise work from home had they proper connectivity.

Shame on you all.

Special mention to Timmy Dooley who did his best to upend the entire NBP process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Orebro wrote: »
    Just wanted to give a shout out to Bertie Ahern (for selling Eircom), Noel Dialup Dempsey, Pat Rabbitte and Alex White - due to your gross incompetence over the years, with delay after delay in broadband rollout, just when the country most needed it, many don't have access to broadband and will be forced to travel into work where they could otherwise work from home had they proper connectivity.

Shame on you all.

Special mention to Timmy Dooley who did his best to upend the entire NBP process.

It was Mammy O'Rourke who was minister when most of Eircom was sold. though the rainbow coalition had already sold 20% to KPN in 1996.

You're forgetting Dermot Ahearne, Mr 3g - Eamonn Ryan, and the hapless Pat Carey.

I'd give a partial exemption to Pat Rabbitte, but he wasted three years on hopeless alternatives (NBP Mk I and NBP Mk II) and only finally got it right with NBP Mk III

I couldn't really fault Alex White; the State Aid procedure is slow.

I'd blame the DCCAE officials for letting Denis Naughten off the leash to private meetings and adding a full year to the process...and finally I'd blame the electorate of Roscommon Galway for ever letting him near an important job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I was as big a critic as any of the whole proccess amd cost of the NBP. But with this covid 19 lockdown they should just get it done.

Once covid 19 is being controlled and in decline Govt. should fast track this where possible.

• Advertisement

I was as big a critic as any of the whole proccess amd cost of the NBP. But with this covid 19 lockdown they should just get it done.

Once covid 19 is being controlled and in decline Govt. should fast track this where possible.

then you were part of yhe problem as why its been so slow, as there were many critics like you , the govm had to full proof process airtight before it signed. we reap what we sow.now its been signed the govm is not in control of speed. the size of the problem dictates the speed.

allanpkr wrote: »
    then you were part of yhe problem as why its been so slow, as there were many critics like you , the govm had to full proof process airtight before it signed. we reap what we sow.now its been signed the govm is not in control of speed. the size of the problem dictates the speed.

No i wasnt. The proccess is flawed and ot did cost to much. I still think that those in the most remote locations can work via wireless solutions for accessing mail and cloud based file shares. But everyone wasnt a fibre to their home.

No i wasnt. The proccess is flawed and ot did cost to much. I still think that those in the most remote locations can work via wireless solutions for accessing mail and cloud based file shares. But everyone wasnt a fibre to their home.

if thats your opinion then i see where the problem is, we have a govm that allowed the clueless to slow down process. everyone will need ftth in very near future. wireless in a million years will never be good enough. 3 billion is cheap for whole of ireland to have future proof broadband and lead the world. instead of putting a cheaper wireless broadband system in then 5 yrs down the rlad rip it out and put ftth.

allanpkr wrote: »
    if thats your opinion then i see where the problem is, we have a govm that allowed the clueless to slow down process. everyone will need ftth in very near future. wireless in a million years will never be good enough. 3 billion is cheap for whole of ireland to have future proof broadband and lead the world. instead of putting a cheaper wireless broadband system in then 5 yrs down the rlad rip it out and put ftth.

I think your wrong but do accept your point.

The WISPs are being shown up for what they are now - I know many people that depend on them and are now getting unusable speeds during the day with the lockdown and many thousands working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Don't think the issue is people working from home - look at today's INEX graphs - it's little Johnny on his XBox

https://www.inex.ie/ixp/statistics/ixp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Tbh nova is still stable enough for me was streaming 1080p netflix most of the night, the kids will kill the network eventually with all the game updates during the day they are over 100gb now for some games

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Don't think the issue is people working from home - look at today's INEX graphs - it's little Johnny on his XBox

Of course the issue is working from home - some of the WISP areas are overwhelmed, with too many subscribers on a mast due to their greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Orebro wrote: »
    Of course the issue is working from home - some of the WISP areas are overwhelmed, with too many subscribers on a mast due to their greed.

To be fair, any isp will dimension and build their Network based on predicted traffic levels and patterns . A sudden change, such as use me we are experiencing now, is not something any isp could have it should have planned their Network around.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

kazoo106 wrote: »

Ok i am not sure where its says what using it. But yeah it is more than likely little johnny with the xbox or playstation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

To be fair, any isp will dimension and build their Network based on predicted traffic levels and patterns . A sudden change, such as use me we are experiencing now, is not something any isp could have it should have planned their Network around.

It shouldn't really be any greater then something like Christmas though. I'd say most of any additional traffic is kids streaming/game updates etc. Most remote-working is relatively low bandwidth. There are exceptions of course and video conferencing is becoming more popular (no idea why, a picture of someone's face adds nothing).

In general though, current bandwidth use shouldn't be much different from any other time when everyone is off at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Tbh nova is still stable enough for me was streaming 1080p netflix most of the night, the kids will kill the network eventually with all the game updates during the day they are over 100gb now for some games

I'm on Nova as well. Based on the numbers I've seen, I suspect they throttle Netflix to 1080p max bitrates (I've never gotten up to 4k speed with them), and I also suspect they throttle the speeds to the likes of the Steam CDNs. You'll often see them start out fast, but over the course of time, they generally throttle down to 1-2Mbps. Could be completely wrong.
    I use Vodafone Mobile Broadband for Zoom video conferencing, and it's been very reliable all week.

i dont care who or what is using the bandwidth , i just know my lag is crap at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Fastest time to download off steam on nova is after 11pm I get full 50mb after that and can easily download a full game to be ready to play the next day :)

Last 2 nights speeds are clearly struggling abit 1080p streaming still works fine but websites taking abit longer to load

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Dero wrote: »
    It shouldn't really be any greater then something like Christmas though.

It is a lot greater than xmas. Traffic volume is approx 50% up or more compared to xmas at moment for some providers. That's how bad it is.

During Xmas people were still busy shopping, in the pub and socially engaging with family and friends, without being on the internet.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    It is a lot greater than xmas. Traffic volume is approx 50% or more than xmas at moment for some providers. That's how bad it is.

During Xmas people were still busy shopping, in the pub and socially engaging with family and friends, without being on the internet.

/M

Thanks for the insight. Lets hope it holds up for as long as this goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks for the insight. Lets hope it holds up for as long as this goes on.

Here is another measurement, that shows you how extreme it is: https://twitter.com/TomLeightonAKAM/status/1240662817893756928

Akamai is a reverse proxy/cache that many bigger platforms use to offload their servers. Microsoft for example.

More than twice the peak figures of March 2019 is no joke.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Here is another measurement, that shows you how extreme it is: https://twitter.com/TomLeightonAKAM/status/1240662817893756928

Akamai is a reverse proxy/cache that many bigger platforms use to offload their servers. Microsoft for example.

More than twice the peak figures of March 2019 is no joke.

/M

Should the ISPs and streaming services come together to provide some resbite for the infrastructure? For example perhaps remove 4k streaming and even 1080p for the moment. Im sure we could all live with 720p during the course of the crisis ðŸ˜.

Should the ISPs and streaming services come together to provide some resbite for the infrastructure? For example perhaps remove 4k streaming and even 1080p for the moment. Im sure we could all live with 720p during the course of the crisis ðŸ˜.

Netflix are already on it

• Advertisement

Good stuff.

Advertisement