Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Should the ISPs and streaming services come together to provide some resbite for the infrastructure? For example perhaps remove 4k streaming and even 1080p for the moment. Im sure we could all live with 720p during the course of the crisis ðŸ˜.

The ISPs have very little input in the matter. It is down to content providers and the end users and their use of these services.

Whenever an ISP starts throttling certain services to ensure a good quality overall internet experience, they tend to get in the line of fire.

Content provider blames them, end user blames them. In this particular case Netflix can't even cope themselves.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

but im sure in this special emergency, if isps throttled back , and providers stopped 4k,1080 and explained why this is needed whilst situation resumes, 80% of users would be understanding. as . long as when emergency is over normal practices resume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Marlow wrote: »
    The ISPs have very little input in the matter. It is down to content providers and the end users and their use of these services.

Whenever an ISP starts throttling certain services to ensure a good quality overall internet experience, they tend to get in the line of fire.

Content provider blames them, end user blames them. In this particular case Netflix can't even cope themselves.

/M

Thanks.

Reading about netflix decision. Exactly what i was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Its **** at the moment here getting about 5% of the speed i am paying for in the evening.

Where are all those people who tried to sell us Fixed Wireless as the best thing since sliced bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Gary kk wrote: »
    Where are all those people who tried to sell us Fixed Wireless as the best thing since sliced bread

Probably offline because their Fixed Wireless connection has fallen over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Just to play Devils advocate. I'm an ardent NBP supporter, but have been (and will continue to) using Nova Broadband as my primary ISP. They're fixed wireless. They've always been reliable, and have remained so throughout the coronavirus issue. I hope they're an NBP reseller because they'd be my first choice. Don't tar all the WISPS with the same brush.

I will be honest I had nova before it was great for the first few months then it just dropped completely asked for it to be fixed for few weeks but to no result.

Those people you refer to are out there, exposed every single day, as they bring broadband to homes NOW, so that people can work from home. The NBP hasn't changed that. For many it's the only viable option at the moment.

You are poking at fires here. And for no reason.

/M

No i am pissed because my provider fobbed to me instead of giving me a straight answer. I guess we see how well it works under some strain

• Advertisement

Those people you refer to are out there, exposed every single day, as they bring broadband to homes NOW, so that people can work from home. The NBP hasn't changed that. For many it's the only viable option at the moment.

/M

actually his point wasnt that the workers werent out there, his point was the people selling fixed wireless as good as ftth, which i might add you were one. if anything the present state of emergency has proved that no matter how hard fixed wireless operaters work it is sadly unable to be as good as ftth. but then again you already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

No i am pissed because my provider fobbed to me instead of giving me a straight answer. I guess we see how well it works under some strain

Did you query it Gary? What was/is their excuse?

I did rang them last week still waiting on a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I did rang them last week still waiting on a reply.

Annoyingly they've a Facebook post up patting themselves on the back for the job theyre (not)doing. Also state theyre happy to be adding customers to their already congested to ****e network

Marlow i am not sure what your job is but I pretty sure it's not in the customer service side

Marlow i am not sure what your job is but I pretty sure it's not in the customer service side

What I work with and who I work for is of no concern to my opinion, which is all I am sharing here. And I do a bit of everything, especially when there isn't enough staff to do the work.

/M

What I work with and who I work for is of no concern to my opinion, which is all I am sharing here. And I do a bit of everything, especially when there isn't enough staff to do the work.

/M[/quote lol marlow trying to come across as a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

My WISP sent me this today.
    Due to large numbers of people now working from home and pupils studying online, there has been huge increase of internet traffic across all networks including our own. There may be a reduction in customer speeds as a result.

We in <removed> are doing our utmost to provide capacity on our network and maintain service to our customers through the current emergency.

It is worth noting that most internet traffic in Ireland passes via Data Centres both here in Ireland and the UK, over which we have no control.

We ask that customers appreciate we are working in extremely unprecedented times, following HSE guidelines, and are doing the best we can.

We hope you all keep well.

Kind regards,

I would like to keep it local and if they offer anything decent on the FTTH network I will give them a shot. Virgin/Eir/Vodafone may be 'better' but personally I would prefer a 'good enough' service employing a local company instead of a multinational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

allanpkr wrote: »

Whats your point? i've found Marlow to be very pragmatic, reasonable and balanced in all the discussions on here. As a customer, the service has been great and the difference between working with a local provider vs an Eir/Sky/VF is that when you call them you are not getting some teenager that hasnt a clue about the service, youre getting the owner of the company of someone who is fully understands your problem and can have an intelligent conversation with you. its a breath of fresh air!

ctlsleh wrote: »

Whats your point? i've found Marlow to be very pragmatic, reasonable and balanced in all the discussions on here. As a customer, the service has been great and the difference between working with a local provider vs an Eir/Sky/VF is that when you call them you are not getting some teenager that hasnt a clue about the service, youre getting the owner of the company of someone who is fully understands your problem and can have an intelligent conversation with you. its a breath of fresh air!

Am if you read up that was the problem we are not getting a support at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm working from home, doing exactly the same as in the office. Wife working from home and two adult student kids all working here as well, no problems at all.

Thank you to Eir for your FTTH (if not your customer service or ability to issue refunds for POTS accounts closed months ago, but that's another story)

plodder wrote: »
    I'm working from home, doing exactly the same as in the office. Wife working from home and two adult student kids all working here as well, no problems at all.

Thank you to Eir for your FTTH (if not your customer service or ability to issue refunds for POTS accounts closed months ago, but that's another story)
    Am how has your connection held up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

Am how has your connection held up
    Everything fine so far. I can use remote desktop to work through a VPN. mostly just editing, building locally. Occasional large upload/download a few times a day. I've been using zoom for meetings a few times a day, at same time kids getting online lectures. Main limitation is the powerline network for main house wifi, means three of us huddled in the office to get wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

My wisp is dragging his feet about coming out to repair my receiver, where the unit has come away from the dish.
    Suggesting they would talk me through a repair after sending out a replacement. At my age..... ;) on the ridge.....

ctlsleh wrote: »

i have nothing against wisps per se. however i have everything against wisps that try to say fixed wireless is as good as ftth. my wisp is excellent in it advertises only what it can provide. i found marlow 1. tried to push that fwb was as good as ftth. 2 very often put down other peoples reasonable comments. 3. because tech wise he knows a lot, he felt in his dealings with others he was above them. often trying to belittle their comments. i for one didnt put up with it. but hey thats my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Everything fine so far. I can use remote desktop to work through a VPN. mostly just editing, building locally. Occasional large upload/download a few times a day. I've been using zoom for meetings a few times a day, at same time kids getting online lectures. Main limitation is the powerline network for main house wifi, means three of us huddled in the office to get wired connection.
    I wonder how schools are managing. So many kids dont have access to decent wifi at all.
    Occasional large upload/download a few times a day. I've been using zoom for meetings a few times a day, at same time kids getting online lectures.
    Making me jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I wonder how schools are managing.

It's probably moot given that they're all closed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

/M

Yawn. Are you seriously trying to say the wireless broadband providers are somehow on the front lines of this pandemic? Please.

Oh, and we’d have proper broadband to every house by now if the likes of the WISPs didn’t do everything in their power to scupper and delay the NBP as much as possible. It’s the likes of this behavior has forced many into work as their home connection simply won’t cut it, and the WISPs have part of the blame here.

Edit: btw, last time I checked Nova had grounded operations for installs (which is perfectly fine, but don’t be making them out to be some sort of heroes in the current situation, it’s insulting).

Advertisement