Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Orebro wrote: »
    Yawn. Are you seriously trying to say the wireless broadband providers are somehow on the front lines of this pandemic? Please.

Oh, and we’d have proper broadband to every house by now if the likes of the WISPs didn’t do everything in their power to scupper and delay the NBP as much as possible. It’s the likes of this behavior has forced many into work as their home connection simply won’t cut it, and the WISPs have part of the blame here.

Edit: btw, last time I checked Nova had grounded operations for installs (which is perfectly fine, but don’t be making them out to be some sort of heroes in the current situation, it’s insulting).

absolutely, totally correct . could not have said it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

btw, last time I checked Nova had grounded operations for installs

Again, you're still brushing them all over the same. Lots of the providers are still installing and their installers are exposed every day.

I'd call that very much front-line.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Marlow wrote: »
    Again, you're still brushing them all over the same. Lots of the providers are still installing and their installers are exposed every day.

/M
    No not really get out of your bubble. I know thats kinda personal be really you need to look around more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

WISP's and their installers are in no way frontline.

Any suggestion that they are is an insult to actual frontline workers.

Lads ... we're off topic here.

Call it front line, call it something else.

Facts:
    - All telecoms/broadband infrastructure has been deemed critical infrastructure by the government during this pandemic.
    - the installers that still are out there installing and repairing lines and connections are exposed and at risk every single day. It doesn't matter if they install a copper, fibre or wireless connection. They're at risk. We don't even know the amount of people that have no idea that they have the virus.
    - without the broadband infrastructure, that is in place TODAY, there would be a lot of people that couldn't work from home and would need to go to work or would loose their job.

The NBP is not ready yet. And this is not the place for bashing those that can deliver a connection today.

This thread is about about the NBP. So it would be best to stick to issues in regards to the NBP. Not to issues that are unrelated.

/M

• Advertisement

No i dont care what spin you put on it they are not front line. Nurses doctors health care in general are front line. You are wrong to claim others are front line it takes from the work the health care services are doing

Gary kk wrote: »
    No i dont care what spin you put on it they are not front line. Nurses doctors health care in general are front line. You are wrong to claim others are front line it takes from the work the health care services are doing

Look .. all you are looking for is somebody to blame and finding things to give out about. You are at semantics here.

I have expressed my view. You don't agree with it. That's fair enough.

Lets leave it at that.

/M

Lol

Have you ever admited to been wrong.

Edit: Now I am more than happy to seem like a child and leave it at that.

Have you ever admited to been wrong.

Edit: Now I am more than happy to seem like a child and leave it at that.

Yes .. I have admitted to being wrong at times. More than once. Even in this thread, if you read back the entire thread(s). But people always seem to make it personal, instead of keeping it to the topic of the discussion.

/M

• Advertisement

/M
    lol you have got to be kidding..please rein yourself in. just accept sometimes your wrong.

Yes .. I have admitted to being wrong at times. More than once. Even in this thread, if you read back the entire thread(s). But people always seem to make it personal, instead of keeping it to the topic of the discussion.

/M

marlow your very sad, same answer everytime someone disagrees with you. frontline lol it would be funny , if it wasnt so damn insulting too every health carer in this world at moment.

/M
    lol you have got to be kidding..please rein yourself in. just accept sometimes your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Lads ... we're off topic here.

- without the broadband infrastructure, that is in place TODAY, there would be a lot of people that couldn't work from home and would need to go to work or would loose their job.

The NBP is not ready yet. And this is not the place for bashing those that can deliver a connection today.

/M

That's my point - partly because of the behaviour of WISPs that broadband rollout got delayed and hence why we don't have it TODAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

That's my point - partly because of the behaviour of WISPs that broadband rollout got delayed and hence why we don't have it TODAY.

How long did the WISPs practically delay it by? A few months if I recall. Certainly not enough to make a tangible difference in the final rollout timeline. They didn't delay it 7 years!

How long did the WISPs practically delay it by? A few months if I recall. Certainly not enough to make a tangible difference in the final rollout timeline. They didn't delay it 7 years!

actually even you cant say by how long. dont forget we are not talking just about the appeals and questions by wisps. we are talking about the time it took for this govn to make it so air tight, that everything was done by the book with no legal loopholes. once this was done to required standard so the threat by wisps to take the process to court dissappeared. this would have added a considerable length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

allanpkr wrote: »
    actually even you cant say by how long. dont forget we are not talking just about the appeals and questions by wisps. we are talking about the time it took for this govn to make it so air tight, that everything was done by the book with no legal loopholes. once this was done to required standard so the threat by wisps to take the process to court dissappeared. this would have added a considerable length of time.

I think you're assigning far too much blame there to the WISPs specifically. That airtightness applied to the threat posed by _any_ ISP (Wireless or not), and was primarily:
    1. To ensure the winning bidder was looking at an uncomplicated rollout
    2. To satisfy EU regulations around state intervention

I'd argue that Eirs intervention in the 350k caused more upset to the entire process than anything the WISPs did IMHO

I think you're assigning far too much blame there to the WISPs specifically. That airtightness applied to the threat posed by _any_ ISP (Wireless or not), and was primarily:
    1. To ensure the winning bidder was looking at an uncomplicated rollout
    2. To satisfy EU regulations around state intervention

I'd argue that Eirs intervention in the 350k caused more upset to the entire process than anything the WISPs did IMHO

i dont think im assigning to much blame to anyone. im just pointing out that in the entire process the dalaying of nbp was far more than you originally stated because their numerous channels that caused it. but you cannot in anyway state the wisps only delayed it by a few months???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

WISP's and their installers are in no way frontline.

Any suggestion that they are is an insult to actual frontline workers.

Mobile operators are scrambling to upgrade their networks, with site upgrades required, done on site, by engineers, so that yes, people can work from home and stay connected in midst of the chaos.

Anyone still working, includijg those stacking shelves, working tills, upgrading and maintaining essential utilities such as broadband, water, power etc is front line.

Medical and emergency staff however, are out of the trenches.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I still have to work as it's been called essential it seems a bit over the top but people can't work from home without broadband. I'm of two minds about it myself on one hand Id rather be working on the other I am worried someone is going to give it to me and I am going to give it to everyone that doesn't have the sense to keep their distance. People are copping to it now but there's always one.
    Most of the installs I've been doing the last two weeks have been new line installs not provider changes that's getting someone and their family to stay in.

• Advertisement

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Internet-Policy/cyber-security/network-and-information-systems-directive/Pages/Operators-of-Essential-Services.aspx

That is the list for essential workers i think

Oh and just so we are on the same page there is a big difference between essential and front line

That list is not new. It's the essential services/infrastructure day to day. In an emergency like now, that list is extended.

The official list has not been published since last night, but here is the initial outline: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/
    - retail sale of office products and services for individuals working from home and for businesses
    - retailers providing electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home.

Those two include the likes of telecommunication and broadband.

/M

Mobile operators are scrambling to upgrade their networks, with site upgrades required, done on site, by engineers, so that yes, people can work from home and stay connected in midst of the chaos.

Anyone still working, includijg those stacking shelves, working tills, upgrading and maintaining essential utilities such as broadband, water, power etc is front line.

Medical and emergency staff however, are out of the trenches.

so changing wording and add another level then you can say all of the above are on frontline. missing the point a bit i think?

That list is not new. It's the essential services/infrastructure day to day. In an emergency like now, that list is extended.

The official list has not been published since last night, but here is the initial outline: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/

Those two include the likes of telecommunication and broadband.

/M
    out this morning, builders merchants open, hardware stores , open ...what is closed that wasnt before???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Waaay of topic but I don't think builders merchants were allowed stay open..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

listermint wrote: »
    Waaay of topic but I don't think builders merchants were allowed stay open..

Many Builders merchants in rural areas also double as farm supplies outlets, hence the reason.

Many Builders merchants in rural areas also double as farm supplies outlets, hence the reason.

builders i went too, does have a very small section of farm products, but in same town is homeland, so it seems a bit pushing it. also i know of a discount store that sells 1 or 2 items like biscuits, petfood, so they stay open also???

Kinda back on topic since isp are not providing on the contract are the people effected due a return on bills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

allanpkr wrote: »
    so changing wording and add another level then you can say all of the above are on frontline. missing the point a bit i think?

Well, if you want to start categories work away, there are lots of ways to look at it. An engineer will rking in remote sites, essential worker, low risk, a shop assistant selling food, essential worker, and higher risk. A nurse, doctor, medical professional working with patients and large number of people, vital, and very high risk.

I am not getting into pedantics, but there are a lot of people in jobs we would never have thought of, that will be done ng jobs to keep the lights on and society functioning, many of them putting themselves in a place of higher risk that those of us fortunate enough not to have to venture out.

And on the villification if WISP's, I've been with my wisp for 15 years, he came in and built a network and provided an essential service when no one else would. Back then, to many, WISP's were their saving grace, providing a service no one else would.

Their time has come, but not so ling ago they were everyone's best friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The range is staying open.

Essential service because they sell pet food. I kid you not.

Laughable ffs.

Advertisement