Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Best friend?

Like look if you didnt your bill would you still get the service

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Well, if you want to start categories work away, there are lots of ways to look at it. An engineer will rking in remote sites, essential worker, low risk, a shop assistant selling food, essential worker, and higher risk. A nurse, doctor, medical professional working with patients and large number of people, vital, and very high risk.

I am not getting into pedantics, but there are a lot of people in jobs we would never have thought of, that will be done ng jobs to keep the lights on and society functioning, many of them putting themselves in a place of higher risk that those of us fortunate enough not to have to venture out.

And on the villification if WISP's, I've been with my wisp for 15 years, he came in and built a network and provided an essential service when no one else would. Back then, to many, WISP's were their saving grace, providing a service no one else would.

Their time has come, but not so ling ago they were everyone's best friend.

well actually my point was i dont think changing categories was correct, in end in my humble opinion only people truly on front line are health workers , people working in nursing homes etc.
    on your other point of wisps. i have in past praised my wisp for its honesty, service and prompt problem solving. i have also stated when i finally get ftth i will be using my wisp for this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Updated list, today:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin
    Information and Communications
    the publishing of newspapers, journals and periodicals as well as video, television programme production, sound recording, radio and television broadcasting; wired and satellite and telecommunications activities; internet and cloud providers; data centres and related services

/M

Look i know you think i was coming down hard on wisps but.

I have been with my current provider for 5 years only missed on direct debt. I was cut off until it was paid which is fair enough.

When I rang the first time to inquire about the current issue I asked him was it to do with conention he said no and the tech guy would sort it out. I also rang the following week to again ask what the story was and it was to be sorted in two days. Those two days a long gone now.

So yeah I was really pissed with them. I am paying 50 mbps and only getting 1.9 to 5 mbps i the evening thats for the last three weeks.

Rant over.

Gary kk wrote: »
    So yeah I was really pissed with them. I am paying 50 mbps and only getting 1.9 to 5 mbps i the evening thats for the last three weeks.

What is the published contention rate for your provider ? That's the important fact. Not the headline speed. You are not paying for 50 Mbit/s full throttle all the time. And in these times there WILL be contention. It will show how good your providers network is.

And if your provider does not publish the contention, then that's just s****. But do not put them all equal. They are not ... by far.

And at 1.9-5 Mbit/s you should still be able to work from home. No problem there.

/M

• Advertisement

Yeah your proably right Marlow. My mobile phone is better at the moment. No point in having the fixed wireless as well. The wisp contract is up for renewal on the first so i think i will see if they will allow me to cancel it for the month without a reconnection charge. I guess anyone else in the same predictment as me should look into it also

Again thanks Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Does anyone know the procedure or plan of NBI in their roll-out.
    They were down my road surveying connections/ducting/poles etc.
    Do they plan on surveying all the connections in Ireland before starting the roll-out or will they start rolling then out before all the surveys are done?
    Optimistically hoping for the 'right' answer......

Triangle wrote: »
    Optimistically hoping for the 'right' answer......

Galway and Carrigaline as pilot Q4/2020.

Everything else 2021 and beyond.

And that's before the current situation happened, so could delay a bit beyond that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Marlow wrote: »
    Galway and Carrigaline as pilot Q4/2020.

Everything else 2021 and beyond.

And that's before the current situation happened, so could delay a bit beyond that.

/M

Thank for that Marlow. I'll keep my fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Great News! Timmy Dooley was once against rejected this time in attempts to fatten at the trough of the Seanad, rejected twice in the one year by the Senate Administrative Panel and the people of Clare. Hopefully this vile excuse for a man disappears into self-isolation permanently, St. Helena perhaps on a 1 way ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Even Nova down to 1mb tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

theguzman wrote: »
    Hopefully this vile excuse for a man disappears into self-isolation permanently, St. Helena perhaps on a 1 way ticket?

One final route for him to remain in politics is via the Taoiseach's nominations to the Seanad, if Micheál thinks the ex-votegate TD is worthy.

ussjtrunks wrote: »

Sorry but your not allowed to give out about your fixed wireless provider

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Just buy 3 other network options it's easy everyone can afford it.

Everythings getting hammered my friend sent me his speeds on vodaphone 1gb and he was getting 5.5mb, If we all had ftth rn would the situation be even worse as everyone would be using up even more data?

Is there even anyway to sort this current situation, maybe isps could limit netflix and youtube to 480p or something

Everythings getting hammered my friend sent me his speeds on vodaphone 1gb and he was getting 5.5mb, If we all had ftth rn would the situation be even worse as everyone would be using up even more data?

Is there even anyway to sort this current situation, maybe isps could limit netflix and youtube to 480p or something

I thought people with ftth were getting by ok in general. I would be getting on to vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I thought people with ftth were getting by ok in general. I would be getting on to vodafone.

It's not a FTTH issue it's a Vodafone issue.
    Vodafone's network was running at close to capacity even before recent events.
    Every ISP is getting hammered but Vodafone more so than most because of their lack of overhead reserve bandwidth.

How are lads on eircom / sky / virgin getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not a single blip on Virgin Media's 500mb offering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no problems with Eir FTTH, same speed as always.

• Advertisement

When ftth is available which do ye think is the best provider?

depends where you live. but wouldnt go with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, aren't ya?

Vodafone and Sky are extremely contended networks. They aim for quantity .. not quality and their upstream is cr** to begin with. And that is before the current situation.

Anyone else .. you'll be grand .. and I don't vouch for a certain ex-incumbent, but while their support and billing is desperate, at least their network is decent, mostly.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Virgin 250mb has been flawless. We now have 3 tvs in the house, 2 laptops and 6 smartphones all streaming and the usual stuff. Seriously considering going up to the 500mb fornam extra tenner.

Virgin 250mb has been flawless. We now have 3 tvs in the house, 2 laptops and 6 smartphones all streaming and the usual stuff. Seriously considering going up to the 500mb fornam extra tenner.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5921875974

Latency can be a bit crap with Virgin .. yours seems fine. But they always seem to deliver on bandwidth. You pay for that .. opposed to other providers (in price) .. but they will deliver.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone and Sky are extremely contended networks. They aim for quantity .. not quality and their upstream is cr** to begin with. And that is before the current situation.

Anyone else .. you'll be grand .. and I don't vouch for a certain ex-incumbent, but while their support and billing is desperate, at least their network is decent, mostly.

/M

Not great having an Airwire representative making unfounded claims about competitors on this forum.

The lowest I had ever seen my connection before yesterday was 12mb today I’m barely getting 1mb >.<

Been with Nova 6 years Corona has really screwed all WISPs, if this isn’t evidence that we need ftth and not wireless I dunno what is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

joe_99 wrote: »
    Not great having an Airwire representative making unfounded claims about competitors on this forum.

While it may be unfounded that Vodaphone and Sky are different, I am pretty sure true when applies to all of these terrible companies.

• Advertisement

well as eir wouldnt go 200 yrds up to me, i wont go with eir if they gave 1 yr free, iv seen their customer service. none existant. however iv always argued for ftth, rather ghan crap wireless. my wisp has always been honest on limit of download, great kn customer service. i will be using them when i get ftth. they are westnet.

Advertisement