Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mungret Gate Development

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Still tumbleweed out there? That "Rebuilding Ireland" sign is getting embarrassing for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oaksywoksy

Any new developments on the Mungret gate housing development??? Seems to have ground to a halt . Hope the builders haven’t gone bust

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nayr_101

Builders back on site since yesterday in Mungret Gate starting the next phase. I know that snagging for the current phase is scheduled for later this week with a view to the estate opening in the next 3 weeks

Was anyone at the open viewing for the rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

How many homes are planned to be built there overall.

• Advertisement

I see the mods had delete some childishness. Apologies to them and the mart23 for my part in that.
    mart 23 wrote: »

https://fora.ie/limerick-new-houses-mungret-3651920-Oct2017/

Nearly 1,000 Limerick homes planned in 'one of Ireland's most ambitious projects'
    The first new houses in the Mungret development could be ready by 2021.

Nearly 1000 being 850. 850 at 20 a year is a bit of a Neverending Story but I guess it would ramp up if the first phase sold out and the second phase was snapped up. Is it true that the council have a chunk of the first phase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

HailSatan wrote: »
    I see the mods had delete some childishness. Apologies to them and the mart23 for my part in that.

https://fora.ie/limerick-new-houses-mungret-3651920-Oct2017/

Nearly 1,000 Limerick homes planned in 'one of Ireland's most ambitious projects'
    The first new houses in the Mungret development could be ready by 2021.

Nearly 1000 being 850. 850 at 20 a year is a bit of a Neverending Story but I guess it would ramp up if the first phase sold out and the second phase was snapped up. Is it true that the council have a chunk of the first phase?

Those 850 houses are not Mungret Gate, they're a further development accessible off the same entrance

Those 850 houses are not Mungret Gate, they're a further development accessible off the same entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

HailSatan wrote: »
    Is it true that the council have a chunk of the first phase?

That is what I've heard from a couple of people as well, and it's being pointed to as a reason why take up of the houses is so low. Could be absolute nonsense of course but given the price of those houses, I wouldn't buy one either knowing there would be people getting some of them for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nayr_101

That is what I've heard from a couple of people as well, and it's being pointed to as a reason why take up of the houses is so low. Could be absolute nonsense of course but given the price of those houses, I wouldn't buy one either knowing there would be people getting some of them for nothing.

Total nonsense. Part V plan is available on the planning website and it’s 10% of the 201 units to be built, like any other new housing estate.

I’ve been told that the 3 beds on the current phase are all sold out with some of the 4 beds remaining.

• Advertisement

nayr_101 wrote: »
    Total nonsense. Part V plan is available on the planning website and it’s 10% of the 201 units to be built, like any other new housing estate.

I’ve been told that the 3 beds on the current phase are all sold out with some of the 4 beds remaining.

Any oul duplexes or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Sorry for the necro, but it seems more appropriate to ask there than making a new thread.

Does anyone currently living there or in process of buying have updated opinions on this development, also considering Newtown Manor in Castletroy if folks have thoughts on either house, development, location and other interesting points!

Personally I wouldn’t buy there. All the houses are on top of each other, initially a year ago when phase 1 came on stream there looked to be plenty of space but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Cant comment on Mungret Gate but Newtown Manor is pretty crowded. I know that's how all new developments will be going forward, but we've been watching the newer rows go up with very little space between what should be the back gardens of the first row and the "front gardens" of the others. Good to see them using vertical space, third floor bedrooms in some houses, but no visible attic/storage space in these based on plans and from looking at them in person.

The first row of houses are quite close to the road, so unless sound proofing is decent, you'll hear the 304a idling late on Fridays/Saturdays.

I bought a house last year in the estate across the road, so not bashing the area at all, walking distance from a lot of good amenities/restaurants/buses. But I just couldn't buy a new build with how close they are to each other. Call me old fashioned (at the ripe old age of 28), but I like my front garden and a bit of space from the neighbours.

The first row of houses are quite close to the road, so unless sound proofing is decent, you'll hear the 304a idling late on Fridays/Saturdays.

To be fair, sound proofing isn’t an issue in new builds

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Has anyone any update on this estate? Completion time, how they are selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

styer wrote: »
    Has anyone any update on this estate? Completion time, how they are selling?

Thought council had a lot of them bought at one stage or is it only rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

pajoguy wrote: »

Anyone able to shed some light on this? would be great to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

styer wrote: »
    Anyone able to shed some light on this? would be great to know!

Aren't all new builds subject to a percentage of social housing? Like 5-10% must be allocated to the council?

Edit: yep, 2014 law from a google, builders must provide 10% of new builds to the council or pay/give land for social housing use

pajoguy wrote: »

A glance at the Property Price Register tells me that it’s only a rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Aren't all new builds subject to a percentage of social housing? Like 5-10% must be allocated to the council?

Edit: yep, 2014 law from a google, builders must provide 10% of new builds to the council or pay/give land for social housing use
    AFAIK, there are some loopholes around this, such as building in small phases/stages. A friend of mine was working on Foxhollow (out in Monaleen) and was telling me that this was the case. Those houses are going for ~500k so giving 5-10% of those to social housing would be a bit of an insult to people who have worked and saved to get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Those houses are going for ~500k so giving 5-10% of those to social housing would be a bit of an insult to people who have worked and saved to get them.

The same applies for houses less than 500k, it's a kick in the teeth for someone to save for years to buy a house then have people on the same street be giving one for basically nothing just because they have made bad life choices and yes, i know it's not always down to that and there are some genuine cases.

Advertisement