Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, but no timeline yet, just that they intend to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Get Weatherspoons done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Mearings wrote: »
    Get Weatherspoons done.
    Oven ready Wetherspoons, stick it in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Robbo wrote: »
    Oven ready Wetherspoons, stick it in the microwave.

Ive always wondered how they do their food. Is it some sort of massive central kitchen facility in the UK where they half cook it for freezing and then distribute to all the outlets where it gets finished off in microwaves and steam ovens?

• Advertisement

I’ve had a lot worse than the food in Wetherspoons in cork. It seemed much better than in the UK pubs and is handy for a big group grabbing a bit of food and a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

21st January and I was just wondering if there has been anything new to report on J.D. Wetherspoons plans to open a new pub at the former Carbon nightclub on Eglinton Street? Surely it would make sense for them to establish their business before the end of Galway 2020 European City of Culture? Seems crazy that they would not try and fast track this venture as delaying is not in anyone's interest. There is definitely a gap in the market and would further complement the whole sector in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No progress visible from the outside as at two days ago.

IMHO they may be waiting to see how Brexit unfolds before spending on the refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IMHO they may be waiting to see how Brexit unfolds before spending on the refurb.

None as of today either.

Does planning need to be sought for their intended renovations?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    None as of today either.

Does planning need to be sought for their intended renovations?

I gather that they will require planning permission for the proposed developments involved according to an article I've read.

The purchase was set to complete last August and JD Wetherspoon will apply for planning permission and a variation to the licenced premises.

The new pub plans propose a 4,000 sq ft pub with a 1,900 sq ft first floor beer garden.

The company, based in England, has seven pubs in the Republic.

Wetherspoon’s general manager for Ireland, Alistair Broome said: “We have enjoyed great success with our existing pubs in the Republic of Ireland and look forward to opening in Galway.”

Wetherspoon already runs seven pubs and one hotel in Ireland: The Three Tun Tavern (Blackrock), The Forty Foot (Dun Laoghaire), The Great Wood (Blanchardstown), The Linen Weaver (Cork), The Old Borough (Swords) including hotel, The Tullow Gate (Carlow) and The Silver Penny (Dublin).

Development for a pub and 89-bedroom hotel, Keavan’s Port Hotel, in Camden Street Upper/Lower, Dublin, is also underway.

Wetherspoon will also develop a site in Waterford.

Source courtesy of: GalwayDaily.com
    https://galwaydaily.com/business/carbon-nightclub-set-to-become-latest-wetherspoons-in-ireland/

• Advertisement

I think if that was the case, they would probably have held off acquiring Carbon/GPO Nightclub pending the outcome of BREXIT as the phase II / trade negotiations could go on for several years despite Boris Johnson's public intentions to have things wrapped up by December. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wetherspoon already runs seven pubs and one hotel in Ireland: The Three Tun Tavern (Blackrock), The Forty Foot (Dun Laoghaire), The Great Wood (Blanchardstown), The Linen Weaver (Cork), The Old Borough (Swords) including hotel, The Tullow Gate (Carlow) and The Silver Penny (Dublin).
    Based on above "names" of the pubs - ideas for the Galway name? It won't be a typical pub name. So I propose

The Rusty Sail.

(Does not make any sense, but it might be what enters a tourists head when they see Eyre Sq fountain for the first time. )

Based on above "names" of the pubs - ideas for the Galway name? It won't be a typical pub name. So I propose

The Rusty Sail.

(Does not make any sense, but it might be what enters a tourists head when they see Eyre Sq fountain for the first time. )

Interesting observation - You might get a job in a marketing department somewhere yet as I can see the Rusty Sail in Eyre Square each time I'm in Galway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think if that was the case, they would probably have held off acquiring Carbon/GPO Nightclub pending the outcome of BREXIT as the phase II / trade negotiations could go on for several years despite Boris Johnson's public intentions to have things wrapped up by December. Time will tell I suppose.

Not necessarily.

Property speculation and food/bar trade are likely two different lines of business for them.

Not necessarily.

Property speculation and food/bar trade are likely two different lines of business for them.

Well, say if they ended up facing a series of problems or objections whilst trying to obtain planning permission then it is possible they might cut their losses.

I seem to recall they had plans to develop a 2nd Wetherspoons establishment in the Cork City suburb of Douglas some years ago on the site of a former TSB bank branch although; the plan was later shelved altogether and there has been no further speculation about Wetherspoons opening in Douglas. I gather contracts had been exchanged at one point. Cork City had the opening of Wetherspoon's "The Linen Weaver" on Paul Street in the city centre in recent years and it seems to be trading well.

Uncertainty surrounding Brexit has been hovering around ever since the UK referendum result in 2016 so; I'm not sure this is all down to Brexit.

Source courtesy:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-ireland-2113344-May2015/

Interesting observation - You might get a job in a marketing department somewhere yet as I can see the Rusty Sail in Eyre Square each time I'm in Galway! :)

Morketing would not be my strong suit, I do know it would probably be better than

The Rusty Hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Morketing would not be my strong suit, I do know it would probably be better than
    The Rusty Hooker
    Rugby reference, surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

zell12 wrote: »
    Rugby reference, surely

I learn something new every day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

MoodeRator wrote: »

The Wee One

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Storm 10 wrote: »
    In the Star today
    Yes, under the headline "Wetherspoons to open flurry of pubs across UK" - though I shouldn't be surprised coming from a Brexiteer like Tim Martin.

JD Wetherspoon puts Irish pub plans on ice due to Covid uncertainty

Chairman Tim Martin said: 'Everything is in abeyance until we find out what is going to happen in the UK and Ireland'

https://www.irishexaminer.com/cms_media/module_img/3984/1992402_2_articlelarge_2.38886742.jpg.jpg
    Tim Martin: Urged Irish and British governments to keep pubs and bars open and resist using lockdown as a Covid defence strategy

SAT, 17 OCT, 2020 - 06:34
    by GEOFF PERCIVAL

British pub group JD Wetherspoon has put its longer-term Irish expansion and investment plans on hold until there is more clarity over how the bar trade can function within the Government’s Covid-19 guidelines.

Wetherspoon has seven pubs in Ireland, a small number in various stages of development, and a long-term plan to have around 30 operating here.

It sees scope for further openings in Cork as part of its ultimate expansion here.

Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said: “Everything is in abeyance until we find out what is going to happen in the UK and Ireland. At this stage, we’re taking stock as the rules are changing every day.”

However, Wetherspoon still plans to open its nearly complete €21m pub/hotel project on Dublin’s Camden St in November if Government restrictions allow.

Regarding longer-term investment, Mr Martin said the UK will be the determining factor for the group, as almost all of Wetherspoon’s 900 or so pubs are based there, and the bulk of its revenues are generated there.

He said that would normally allow the group to be more relaxed about investment plans for Ireland, but rising pub trade uncertainty in the UK has made it “impossible to plan”, has forced all finances into lockdown mode, and has heightened the need to minimise outgoings.

Mr Martin is of the view that lockdowns are not working as a Covid-19 defence measure, and that the UK and Ireland should both adopt Sweden’s model of keeping bars open, albeit with social distancing and health and safety guidelines.

Read More
    NPHET recommends six-week Level 5 lockdown for entire country
    Wetherspoon posted a £105.4m (€116.4m) pre-tax loss for its latest financial year — its first loss since the mid-1980s — along with a 31% drop in annual revenue to £1.26bn.

It will also cut more than 100 jobs at its UK headquarters.

Mr Martin recently said that Wetherspoon could open outlets in Irish airports as part of its expansion plan.

“In the long term, [we’d look at] any busy area within the Republic, including airports," he said.

Wetherspoon — which employs around 43,000 people — said last month that it may have to cut almost half of the 1,000 people it employs in bars across six major airports in England and Scotland."

Irish Examiner

Source:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40066320.html

This will probably result in a long delay or re-think on Wetherspoons plans for the former GPO/Carbon Nightclub on Eglinton Street in Galway City.

Any time there is a thread involving Weatherspoons the food and beer connosiurs pop up and cast aspersions on the quality of the food, the quality of the beer, the unsavioury clientele.

Last time I was in Weatherspoons in Dublin I had a pint of Staropramen for 2.95. Fish and chips for 7.95, and for an extra 2 euro I got a glass of Jameson.

So to all the naysayers, feel free not to go. Less of a queue for me.

Any time there is a thread involving Weatherspoons the food and beer connosiurs pop up and cast aspersions on the quality of the food, the quality of the beer, the unsavioury clientele.

Last time I was in Weatherspoons in Dublin I had a pint of Staropramen for 2.95. Fish and chips for 7.95, and for an extra 2 euro I got a glass of Jameson.

So to all the naysayers, feel free not to go. Less of a queue for me.

I am definitely not one of the naysayers although; I know there are those who hate the idea of a foreign pub chain arriving in their town/city. I was glad of Wetherspoons last time I was in Belfast on holidays as their drink prices were more affordable which made me frequent their premises more often. Their premises in Cork City has also added great value to the local bar scene in recent years and it would be good if Galway City had a bar that offered better value drink prices as I'm not one who like to buy my drink at the off-licence or supermarket - it's nice to socially engage with people in a pub in your free time but many just cannot afford it for a variety of reasons like Government VAT etc; My comments are aside from the present COVID-19 restrictions.

I am definitely not one of the naysayers although; I know there are those who hate the idea of a foreign pub chain arriving in their town/city. I was glad of Wetherspoons last time I was in Belfast on holidays as their drink prices were more affordable which made me frequent their premises more often. Their premises in Cork City has also added great value to the local bar scene in recent years and it would be good if Galway City had a bar that offered better value drink prices as I'm not one who like to buy my drink at the off-licence or supermarket - it's nice to socially engage with people in a pub in your free time but many just cannot afford it for a variety of reasons like Government VAT etc; My comments are aside from the present COVID-19 restrictions.

I'm not opposed to a chain if they can offer prices the others can't.

I do oppose things like chain coffee shops which are MORE expensive than local owners and not as nice... in that regard it makes no sense.

All that said and with a Full LEVEL 5 National Lockdown for a 6 Week period starting on Wednesday at 12Midnight now confirmed by the Taoiseach tonight, I think that many nightclubs, bars and public houses will either not reopen or may struggle for quite some time as they have been shuttered for most bank holidays during 2020 (apart from New Year's Day) and had no international tourist trade in the summer particularly in the case of "wet pubs". In addition to pubs, the following examples must also be seriously concerned like hotels & resorts, gift shops, restaurants, cafés, B+B guesthouses, airlines, airports, ferry companies, travel agencies, tour operators, hairdressers/barbers & beauty salons, gyms & leisure clubs and so on etc;

Worrying times ahead for so many people even though the government had to act decisively in order to protect the vulnerable from a health service that is coming under too much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about Galway Wetherspoons only.
    Unless there is news about Galway Wetherspoons, use one of the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sorry, I see the instruction now, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Planners have OKed Wetherspoons to open – with 23 conditions attached to the approval.

Advertisement