Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswomen refuse to condemn brutal attack on ICE facility.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Media gonna have field day with this....

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1151643937632935936

Trump needs to be careful. His tweet comments were just about tolerable as they had context which made them excusable, imo, but straight up 'send her back' chants don't and to be seen encouraging them is far worse than him saying what he did..... to me at least.

Danzy wrote: »
    It's a lifestyle choice.

If it's true, seems more likely it was about US citizenship.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1151362013010026497

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Fairly sure that's already debunked (at least the brother part)

Edit: She definitely has some weirdness going on with her legal marital record I don't buy the brother part though things like misfiling taxes aren't a good look if she is above board
    http://m.startribune.com/new-documents-revisit-questions-about-rep-ilhan-omar-s-marriage/511681362/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I've posted the link debunking it twice, here's a third time...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aoc-empty-parking-lot/

We were lied to and told it was a staged photo with fake crying into a parking lot. Now that's debunked, it's that she wasn't close enough....okay so :)

What was the point of going there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

notobtuse wrote: »
    Name names then! Oh, yeah, it could have even been started by an AOC staffer meant to generate fake outrage, right?

I think Donald Trump Jnr. started it, I mean I've as much evidence as you ;)
    The idea that it blew up in their faces and you're desperately trying to disown it is amusing, especially after being caught by the balls on the car park story.

splinter65 wrote: »
    What was the point of going there?

Read the article. The holding cages/ facility were beyond the car park. Once realised, they went after her clothes and watch. Meanwhile we've a racist President stirring up hate and folk are using these trivialities to deflect. Low grade gutter antics from racist apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Media gonna have field day with this....

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1151643937632935936

Trump needs to be careful. His tweet comments were just about tolerable as they had context which made them excusable, imo, but straight up 'send her back' chants don't and to be seen encouraging them is far worse than him saying what he did..... to me at least.

Good old Fashioned Klan Rally.

Well done America!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Read the article. The holding cages/ facility were beyond the car park. Once realised, they went after her clothes and watch. Meanwhile we've a racist President stirring up hate and folk are using these trivialities to deflect. Low grade gutter antics from racist apologists.
    Your race card has been declined... Do you have a better argument? Answer me this… If Cortez was so heartbroken and traumatized over the plight of the migrant children why then did she recently defy the democrat party and vote against a bill to provide $4.5 billion in emergency border funding that would have improved the conditions of those migrant children? More and more it looks simply like a photo op on her part to garner media attention. But she sure did look good, didn't she?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Your race card has been declined... Do you have a better argument? Answer me this… If Cortez was so heartbroken and traumatized over the plight of the migrant children why then did she recently defy the democrat party and vote against a bill to provide $4.5 billion in emergency border funding that would have improved the conditions of those migrant children? More and more it looks simply like a photo op on her part to garner media attention. But she sure did look good, didn't she?

You mean the bill that that progressive Democrats said Trump would use the funds of to push ahead with his deportation plans? Which is exactly what we're seeing now? That bill?

They said that Trump was acting in bad faith with this bill and still nothing has changed at the border, while the concerns the likes of AOC raised are coming to fruition.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    You mean the bill that that progressive Democrats said Trump would use the funds of to push ahead with his deportation plans? Which is exactly what we're seeing now? That bill?

They said that Trump was acting in bad faith with this bill and still nothing has changed at the border, while the concerns the likes of AOC raised are coming to fruition.
    Progressive rubbish!
    Congress on Tuesday passed a $4.5 billion border funding bill in a win for Speaker Nancy Pelosi. It includes provisions for the treatment of migrant children in U.S. custody. It sets up a showdown with the GOP-controlled Senate, and President Trump has threatened to veto the bill even if it does pass the Senate.

A senior House Democratic aide told CBS News the bill includes $934.5 million for processing facilities, including food, water, sanitary items, blankets, medical services, and safe transportation. It also includes $866 million to reduce reliance on influx shelters to house children and 200 million for an integrated, multi-agency processing center pilot program for families and unaccompanied children, with participation by non-profit organizations.

The bill additionally includes oversight provisions to hold the administration accountable for the conditions at migrant facilities, and provides no money for border wall funding.

The bill passed 230-195. Four Democrats — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib — voted against the bill. They said Sunday they would not vote for it as long as it funded Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-passes-4-5-billion-border-funding-bill-live-updates-today-2019-06-25/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Last paragraph of your quote from the link is exactly my point...

By the way, that's not the bill that was passed by the Senate:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/27/politics/border-funding-migrant-crisis-nancy-pelosi-house-senate-bills/index.html

The Senate passed its own Bill which was put together by Republicans, because Trump said he wouldn't sign the Democrat one.

Don't call my posts rubbish when you literally haven't a clue what you're talking about.

My argument is you character attacks are flawed, lies and 'fake news' to use language you might understand. You're reaching now. No it doesn't. A politican has photo taken while visiting facility that's national interest shocker? Pull the other one, there's a racist President locking children up in cages on it.

Last paragraph of your quote from the link is exactly my point...

By the way, that's not the bill that was passed by the Senate:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/27/politics/border-funding-migrant-crisis-nancy-pelosi-house-senate-bills/index.html

The Senate passed its own Bill which was put together by Republicans, because Trump said he wouldn't sign the Democrat one.

Don't call my posts rubbish when you literally haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Talk about deflection! It WAS the bill AOC voted against.

My argument is you character attacks are flawed, lies and 'fake news' to use language you might understand. You're reaching now. No it doesn't. A politican has photo taken while visiting facility that's national interest shocker? Pull the other one, there's a racist President locking children up in cages on it.
    Sorry but the photos of her crying feel contrived and staged, not organic.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

The Trump Administration have requested emergency funding from Congress multiple times and were denied it.

https://twitter.com/OutlawPete7/status/1143960576034398209

Multiple times on back of criticism of democrats refusing to grant the funding democrats took to the media to say that there was no crisis and that Trump was manufacturing it. Was only very recently that they have been forced to admit that there was/is in fact a crisis.

https://twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/status/1129384994324058112

The recent fallot between Pelosi and AOC and 'the Squad' was because they voted against passing the bill that to provide the $4.5billion. AOC even going so far as to suggest Pelosi was racist. Trump of all people came to her defense, not that it was appreciated.

Either way, it's twisting of the highest order to try and put all this at the feet of republicans. It's bordering on the laughable, excuse the pun.

Sorry but the photos of her crying feel contrived and staged, not organic.

I don't believe you think that. You've gone from car park/fake, to her saying no to a proposal, to just plumb not sitting right with you. Give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don't believe you think that. You've gone from car park/fake, to her saying no to a proposal, to just plumb not sitting right with you. Give it up.

If you can, with your hand on your heart, sincerely find anything sincere genuine or spontaneous in those pictures, then I take my hat off to you for levels of delusion previously untapped.
    I have seen better acting talent in Hollyoaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The recent fallot between Pelosi and AOC and 'the Squad' was because they voted against passing the bill that to provide the $4.5billion. AOC even going so far as to suggest Pelosi was racist. Trump of all people came to her defense, not that it was appreciated.
    Why would it be appreciated. Part of Pelosi's defence was the tweet that they should go back where they came from. It was designed to galvanize Trump's base and to split democratic party even more. It was cleverly done but with the intention to shaft moderates in the party so he will end up with an opponent that easier to beat.

See the Squad yesterday said Pelosi could request a meeting if she needs clarification.

Doubled down on implying she was a racist as well.

“Acknowledge the fact that we are women of color, so when you do single us out, be aware of that and what you’re doing".

That is a breath taking level of arrogance and presumption that only a sinning heretic would disagree, question or challenge them.

Hard to comprehend.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why would it be appreciated. Part of Pelosi's defence was the tweet that they should go back where they came from. It was designed to galvanize Trump's base and to split democratic party even more. It was cleverly done but with the intention to shaft moderates in the party so he will end up with an opponent that easier to beat.
    I'm not following you. Trump said Pelosi was not a racist four days before the tweet against Omar and the rest of The Squad was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

splashuum wrote: »
    Who told her to go back to her own country? Can you provide evidence of this?

This post didn't age well :eek:

See the Squad yesterday said Pelosi could request a meeting if she needs clarification.

Doubled down on implying she was a racist as well.

“Acknowledge the fact that we are women of color, so when you do single us out, be aware of that and what you’re doing".

That is a breath taking level of arrogance and presumption that only a sinning heretic would disagree, question or challenge them.

Hard to comprehend.

Seems to be an internal battle over who is the leader of The Squad… Cortez or Tlaib. My money’s on Tlaib.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No, conservatives wrote an article calling out the fake news being reported on the subject.

And then proceeded to make a thread like this which draws more attention to her. As well as an article about her in a parking lot. Obsessed my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not following you. Trump said Pelosi was not a racist four days before the tweet against Omar and the rest of The Squad was made.

He might have but I was referring to the tweet where he mentions Pelosi would be happy to organise travel to the countries they arrived from (I know 3 out of 4 are born in US).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Puerto Ricans are also US citizens, so even if AOC was born there, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And then proceeded to make a thread like this which draws more attention to her. As well as an article about her in a parking lot. Obsessed my friend.
    Political theater... politics as usual.

meeeeh wrote: »
    He might have but I was referring to the tweet where he mentions Pelosi would be happy to organise travel to the countries they arrived from (I know 3 out of 4 are born in US).
    I think Pelosi would love to provide The Squad with one way tickets elsewhere... at least until after the 2020 election. The point of Trump's tweet was to force Pelosi and other democrats to get behind and support a few freshmen members of Congress who are dominating the news cycle and of whom garner high unfavorable opinions from the voting public.

Seems to be an internal battle over who is the leader of The Squad… Cortez or Tlaib. My money’s on Tlaib.

Cortez is a bit of a naive ideologue but much better on tv with people.

Tlaib is a hard nose.

Would think that she would be giving direction.

• Advertisement

Cortez is a bit of a naive ideologue but much better on tv with people.

Tlaib is a hard nose.

Would think that she would be giving direction.
    None of them will take much direction. Identity politics is the future of the democrat party.

Advertisement