Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswomen refuse to condemn brutal attack on ICE facility.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

splinter65 wrote: »
    He’s trying hard not to laugh there.

Definitely!

Him getting on with the speech :)

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1151905827495849984

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

notobtuse wrote: »
    The Supreme Court just last month barred all challenges in federal court to partisan gerrymandering. It’s now up to state courts and the political party in charge of the state. Since democrats own NY they can pretty much do what they want. And yeah, her constituents aren’t very happy over her costing them 25,000 good paying Amazon jobs. Seems the DNC doesn’t need to do anything other than run a glass of water with a (D) behind it if they want her gone. She’s disliked, distrusted, and unwanted in her own NY-14 district. A poll in her district shows a 21% favorability rating, just 11% believe she has their best interests in mind, and that only 13% would vote to reelect her.

I thought 21% was the national figure and that she is far more popular in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The DNC are going to gerrymander her out at the next election. Her district is going to disappear and be realigned into a much larger one.

And she'll lose her seat not because of what she says, but because of the Amazon debacle.

I think she still doesn’t get how wrong wrong wrong she was on Amazon. Talk about totally detached...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I thought 21% was the national figure and that she is far more popular in the area?

No, that is her figure in the district.

The last guy, a long termed in one of the safest Dem seats in America lost because he left the area and just didn't bother anymore.

AOC has done that as well, add in the Amazon thing, though I have problems with them myself.

She would want to mind her vote.

Danzy wrote: »

The last guy, a long termed in one of the safest Dem seats in America lost because he left the area and just didn't bother anymore.

AOC has done that as well, add in the Amazon thing, though I have problems with them myself.

You seem to be right, I was looking at an older poll. Her popularity must have dropped quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You seem to be right, I was looking at an older poll. Her popularity must have dropped quite a lot.

Not sure she was ever really known on the ground.

Either way, she would want to walk the streets of her district a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Danzy wrote: »

They’re not figures from her district. It’s the same Axios poll - of white, non college voters, not from her district. Carry on.

Not on the basis of that poll - which wasn’t anything to do with her district.

The Supreme Court just last month barred all challenges in federal court to partisan gerrymandering. It’s now up to state courts and the political party in charge of the state. Since democrats own NY they can pretty much do what they want. And yeah, her constituents aren’t very happy over her costing them 25,000 good paying Amazon jobs. Seems the DNC doesn’t need to do anything other than run a glass of water with a (D) behind it if they want her gone. She’s disliked, distrusted, and unwanted in her own NY-14 district. A poll in her district shows a 21% favorability rating, just 11% believe she has their best interests in mind, and that only 13% would vote to reelect her.

There was no poll in her district. You’re referring to the Dan Backer farce of a supposed ‘door to door survey’ by his partisan scam PAC. And AOC defeated Joe Crowley in the district - so clearly the ‘glass of water’ trope is plain dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

alastair wrote: »
    There was no poll in her district. You’re referring to the Dan Backer farce of a supposed ‘door to door survey’ by his partisan scam PAC. And AOC defeated Joe Crowley in the district - so clearly the ‘glass of water’ trope is plain dumb.
    There was no poll in her district... Yet you go on to note the door to door survey in her district. Is it you just don't like the results? The good news for AOC is their still remains 18 months until the election. The bad news for AOC is it seems every time she opens her mouth her favorablity numbers drop even further. The primary will be the big deal, and I'm pretty sure Pelosi will make sure a good candidate runs against her. Any democrat, even a glass of water with a (D) behind it, will win the general.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

There was no poll in her district... Yet you go on to note the door to door survey in her district. Is it you just don't like the results? The good news for AOC is their still remains 18 months until the election. The bad news for AOC is it seems every time she opens her mouth her favorablity numbers drop even further. The primary will be the big deal, and I'm pretty sure Pelosi will make sure a good candidate runs against her. Any democrat, even a glass of water with a (D) behind it, will win the general.

It wasn’t a poll. It was a questionnaire with ridiculously biased questions from a man with a history of questionable scam PACs. Nobody takes such a process seriously. There’s no evidence whatsoever that AOC’s popularity in the district is any different than it was when she defeated Joe. The desperation to try and undermine her popularity is hilarious tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

splinter65 wrote: »
    He’s trying hard not to laugh there. The Squad will have to be reeled in by somebody soon because right now it’s like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

Way off.
    It's simple.
    Trump is a racist and anyone who supports him is okay with that.
    Him being able to 'get one over' on congresswomen based on their skin colour and ethnic background isn't clever, it's disgusting. Anyone who revels in it as some kind of a victory is a sad f*** IMO.

The President of the United States is racist and stirring racial hate to score points. This is a down turn historically for the American people. It's not some ass hat burning someone online. Anyone more obsessed with AOC needs check themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

How kind of them. They only approve of racism via twitter.

I don't think the chant was racist, although I concede it could be inferred as such, which is I why said I didn't like it's tone, but, it's kinda hard to chant.....
    "Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came then come back and show us how it is done"

... bit of a mouthful I'm sure you'll agree.

Incidentally, I remember when Piers Morgan took over from Larry King and twitter used to be lit each night with comments in the vein of "Why don't you go home to your own country, Morgan" whenever he dared say America needed to change its gun laws, for example. A white guy though, so never any liberal outrage.

Strange to me how this week there's been all this hysteria over a pretty innocuous comment, even to the degree that it was suggested in mainstream media that it could potentially lead to violence..... and all while actual violence was committed that had links to comments made by congresswomen went largely ignored, even though one man died and and where there was real actual potential that many others could have too.

Jim Jordan seem to be the only one with the guts to reference it in congress (at 2m 45s):

https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1151891245645684742

It wasn’t a poll. It was a questionnaire with ridiculously biased questions from a man with a history of questionable scam PACs. Nobody takes such a process seriously. There’s no evidence whatsoever that AOC’s popularity in the district is any different than it was when she defeated Joe. The desperation to try and undermine her popularity is hilarious tbh.
    Isn't a poll the results of answers to questions? Seems Nancy Pelosi took them seriously as it's being reported she's the one who leaked that poll to the media.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Isn't a poll the results of answers to questions? Seems Nancy Pelosi took them seriously as it's being reported she's the one who leaked that poll to the media.

Polls have methodology and oversight to process. And Pelosi didn’t have anything to do with the Dan Backer stuff - which everyone is rightly ignoring - that claim relates to the Axios poll - an actual legitimate poll which only related to non college graduate white voters, none from her district.

Polls have methodology and oversight to process. And Pelosi didn’t have anything to do with the Dan Backer stuff - which everyone is rightly ignoring - that claim relates to the Axios poll - an actual legitimate poll which only related to non college graduate white voters, none from her district.
    You can spin it all you want, but wasn’t it an internal democratic poll? Who else would leak it? And yes, it's selective, and the whole report hasn't been leaked. Looks to be targeted against AOC, and who other than Pelosi wants AOC to be worried about her job... certainly not Trump or the GOP.

You can spin it all you want, but wasn’t it an internal democratic poll? Who else would leak it? And yes, it's selective, and the whole report hasn't been leaked. Looks to be targeted against AOC, and who other than Pelosi wants AOC to be worried about her job... certainly not Trump or the GOP.

AOC really worries the GOP huh?

AOC really worries the GOP huh?

Nope, AOC is merely a pawn in the game of politics. It is politically smart for the GOP to keep her and The Squad in front of the cameras and on the front pages... being as they have negative ratings and as they're often considered to be the future of the democrat party.

Nope, AOC is merely a pawn in the game of politics. It is politically smart for the GOP to keep her and The Squad in front of the cameras and on the front pages... being as they have negative ratings and as they're often considered to be the future of the democrat party.

See I think Trump spent his whole campaign on slandering crooked Hilary and slagging off Pelosi and Schumer. The Democrats are elites, out of touch etc. Now we've got some vibrant positiveity, rather than tackling them on their inexperience or policies he's getting into the mud with his racism and trying to make the Dems look splintered, which they may be, but to be fair a unified GOP under a racist is an abomination for American democracy. Sometimes winning at all costs makes you wonder who exactly is winning?
    The American people have never been under such a threat to their way of life IMO. Trump is a racist corporate stirring up division and hate to score points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I like AOC myself.

The attacks on Omar are often from the pro Israeli right. Anti Muslim sentiment spreading through the US, and at the highest levels.

I don't think the chant was racist, although I concede it could be inferred as such, which is I why said I didn't like it's tone, but, it's kinda hard to chant.....

... bit of a mouthful I'm sure you'll agree.

I said earlier in the thread that Trump's remarks were racist and that anyone who defended them was probably a racist too. Of course, I'm sure you won't be hurt by that, and will decry the word losing all meaning in the hands of PC leftists. What's the world coming to when you can't tell people to get out of your country based on their ethnic background?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

See I think Trump spent his whole campaign on slandering crooked Hilary and slagging off Pelosi and Schumer. The Democrats are elites, out of touch etc. Now we've got some vibrant positiveity, rather than tackling them on their inexperience or policies he's getting into the mud with his racism and trying to make the Dems look splintered, which they may be, but to be fair a unified GOP under a racist is an abomination for American democracy. Sometimes winning at all costs makes you wonder who exactly is winning?
    The American people have never been under such a threat to their way of life IMO. Trump is a racist corporate stirring up division and hate to score points.

Yeah it's more likely the party will unify and rally around the four rather than split.

Trump came in in 2016 claiming he was man of the people, looking out for middle and working class, would deal with health and drain the swamp. It's very difficult to then label someone like AOC a radical considering she was just an ordinary person working as a waitress 12 months ago, wants to implement policies that would help working and middle class (higher wages, jobs guarantee, lower higher education costs), wants to fix healthcare and deal with corruption in Washington.

I like AOC myself.

The attacks on Omar are often from the pro Israeli right. Anti Muslim sentiment spreading through the US, and at the highest levels.
    I enjoy the AOC drama myself. It's great political theater.

I am keeping tabs on what AOC does as my youngest daughter told me she might want to intern for her on Capital Hill in two years. I just want to enlighten my daughter to the nightmare she might be getting herself into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I enjoy the AOC drama myself. It's great political theater.

I am keeping tabs on what AOC does as my youngest daughter told me she might want to intern for her on Capital Hill in two years. I just want to enlighten my daughter to the nightmare she might be getting herself into.

all I see is a fairly competent politician, good in committee. Maybe a bit brown for some people’s tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

all I see is a fairly competent politician, good in committee. Maybe a bit brown for some people’s tastes.

How is she competent*? She misspeaks the regularly, her the policy stuff she puts forward regularly causes issue for the Democrats, she is making lots of waves but I think she has probably peaked too early at some point senior democrats are likely to put her in her place (which is a junior politician representing one area).

On balance I am not sure if she is a liability or an asset to the Dems though, she has a slick social media game and if she can get younger women out voting it may make up for any losses she causes in swing voters. The rest of "the squad" though are liabilities electorally IMO they only reach groups the Democrats already dominate and will put of vital swing voters.

My theory at the minute after reading up some more about AOC is that she is actually just a front for her Chief of Staff.

*Trump also is not competent however in terms of actual policy he can point to a booming economy, which is not to much to do with him but it will be claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Trump and Brexit supporters sometimes hit on one accurate point. They're voting for things or people that annoy people they hate. I hear Trump supporters in America talk about how they really annoyed the "left" ect and Brexit voters really annoy the establishment.

These sort of "elect someone that annoys the other side" has drawbacks. One of which is the other side elects even more extreme people. The second drawback is that if you elect a racist who incites violence, plays identity politics with race and lies continually then no one will give a flying sh1t if you're offended with what another candidate says.

Hahaha… pure gold.

If anyone is sowing division it’s the dems. Trump is uniting Americans like no other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Trump and Brexit supporters sometimes hit on one accurate point. They're voting for things or people that annoy people they hate. I hear Trump supporters in America talk about how they really annoyed the "left" ect and Brexit voters really annoy the establishment.

These sort of "elect someone that annoys the other side" has drawbacks. One of which is the other side elects even more extreme people. The second drawback is that if you elect a racist who incites violence, plays identity politics with race and lies continually then no one will give a flying sh1t if you're offended with what another candidate says.

It was even mentioned on MSNBC that a good chunk of younger Trump supporters are voting for him just to "Own the Libs" so that they can watch those ridiculous "SJW meltdown" videos on Youtube.

• Advertisement

Btw. This “squad” will not be re elected. I guarantee it.

Advertisement