Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswomen refuse to condemn brutal attack on ICE facility.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

notobtuse wrote: »
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    When Donald Trump fans come out with sentences like this

UnlawfulNaturalFox-max-1mb.gif

It's okay... I know the truth hurts!
    Nah, it's the irony that hurts

meeeeh wrote: »
    Do you have any research that supports that or is it just because you think vast majority agrees with you? And because you think that it must be true.

I would guess vast majority of people don't care.

I would imagine that if you showed those videos to 100 people who had knowledge of the attack, the vast majority would find their silence disgraceful.

This is a debate and I'm laying out my opinion which I believe to be true based on my day-to-day life. I don't need research and I'm not in a position to conduct it anyway. I know that the majority of people would not resort to "But Trump said ___ so it's ok.", or "But the question was from the right.", like others here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would imagine that if you showed those videos to 100 people who had knowledge of the attack, the vast majority would find their silence disgraceful.

This is a debate and I'm laying out my opinion which I believe to be true based on my day-to-day life. I don't need research and I'm not in a position to conduct it anyway. I know that the majority of people would not resort to "But Trump said ___ so it's ok.", or "But the question was from the right.", like others here.

You can't tell me Trump supporters would find it disgraceful though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And other believe theirs is true based on their day to day life. That doesn't mean either yours or other people's opinion is based on anything more than wishful thinking.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can't tell me Trump supporters would find it disgraceful though?

I'm confused.. Would you mind rewording this?

This is in Trump supporters' interest to find it disgraceful, but your question to me makes it sound like I couldn't tell you they would.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Another thread about men bitching and moaning about a woman who is making the right noises and is sticking it to the old dinosaurs in US politics.

Absolute sad cases.

And other believe theirs is true based on their day to day life. That doesn't mean either yours or other people's opinion is based on anything more than wishful thinking.

We're in Ireland. Every political party and politician routinely condemns every terrorist attack that happens. It's largely the same around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Nah, it's the irony that hurts
    You know what they say... Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If people think that the libs overracted when Trump was elected in 2016, I can only imagine the meltdown when he’s re elected in 2020.
    These incidents with AOC and Ilhan in particular are just grist for the mill for the Republicans.
    Is there really nothing can be done to reel these two in to prevent them from doing any more damage?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Another thread about men bitching and moaning about a woman who is making the right noises and is sticking it to the old dinosaurs in US politics.

Absolute sad cases.

Silence isn't sticking it to anyone. It's waiting to get back to your PR so you can decide what's the best thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Aren't these 4 targeting other non-white legislators in the Democratic party ?

They seem to be quite dangerous and divide as much as Trump does.

They are, bit too much of a thing, targeting people who they feel should fall in behind in line and if they do not, they must be Uncle Toms.

That said, at this stage There are few that they have not fallen out with to some degree or other.

They are as divisive as Trump but they focus a Lot on their party colleagues and others who are in or part of the Democrat family.

It's a big difference.

It has destroyed Left wing movements for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

splinter65 wrote: »
    If people think that the libs overracted when Trump was elected in 2016, I can only imagine the meltdown when he’s re elected in 2020.
    These incidents with AOC and Ilhan in particular are just grist for the mill for the Republicans.
    Is there really nothing can be done to reel these two in to prevent them from doing any more damage?

Nope he saw to that this week.

He made them the official opposition and the Democrats have to suck it up. Must be disheartening for their ordinary member or voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Absolute sad cases.

She’s doing more to get Trump reelected in 2020 then any republican could do. She’s the current star of the Republican presidential campaign. Money couldn’t buy that kind of good publicity for Mr Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Absolute sad cases.

Is that the identity politics wagon I hear a rolling :

Men bad , women good
    Men bad, women good
    Men bad, women good
    Honk Honk.

She’s doing more to get Trump reelected in 2020 then any republican could do. She’s the current star of the Republican presidential campaign. Money couldn’t buy that kind of good publicity for Mr Trump.

Poisoned chalice for the Dems. Useful in the immediate short-term but a disaster long-term.

Silence isn't sticking it to anyone. It's waiting to get back to your PR so you can decide what's the best thing to say.

What are you talking about?

People are link-dumping about her wearing a ****ing watch while she's as at the border.

These propaganda sites only write about those who they are threatened by. You think they'd comment about Trump playing golf while kids are trying to get guns out of their schools? Or would they ask appropriate questions of lobby groups that give a ****-tonne of money to conservatives to represent their interests even if it kills hundreds of people? Nah, they're more concerned about a watch that AOC is wearing.

Absolute fools. So are the people who are falling for it. AOC is ruffling feathers and none of the dinosaurs like it.

Good publicity?

She literally caused him to essentially admit he's a racist.

Anyone who thinks Trump is a shoe-in is a fool. He'll lose Michigan and Wisconsin, and probably Pennsylvania too.

What are you talking about?

People are link-dumping about her wearing a ****ing watch while she's as at the border.

These propaganda sites only write about those who they are threatened by. You think they'd comment about Trump playing golf while kids are trying to get guns out of their schools? Or would they ask appropriate questions of lobby groups that give a ****-tonne of money to conservatives to represent their interests even if it kills hundreds of people? Nah, they're more concerned about a watch that AOC is wearing.

Absolute fools. So are the people who are falling for it. AOC is ruffling feathers and none of the dinosaurs like it.

I'm talking about the subject of this thread; the opening post. You're bringing in a lot of baggage about Trump which is irrelevant. Take your arguments about him somewhere else. AOC has nothing to do with Trump as she can't even run against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

AOC is a moron with zero understanding of economics or frankly anything, laughable that people think she's the future of anything positive. Omar is a vile anti Semite who now has the nerve to get all offended over getting a taste of her own medicine. Trump's a fool to be saying those things but you know you'd expect someone who was given refuge taken in out of kindness from America would have at least something positive to say about it. But America is so terrible, so awful racist etc. Your from Somalia, America is paradise on earth in comparison, you'd expect her to be more thankful.

We're in Ireland. Every political party and politician routinely condemns every terrorist attack that happens. It's largely the same around the world.

Actually they don't. Nobody is going through the list of all terrorist attacks and condemns them.

Personally I find this complete vapid nonsense and I felt exactly the same about the outrage around Trump comments around Charlottesville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Also if they want to improve conditions on the boarder why don't they fund it. What they want is open boarders whereby anyone who likes can just cross over and it's not illegal. I don't believe such policy would fly with your average American, they like the idea of a secure boarder and sensible immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm confused.. Would you mind rewording this?

This is in Trump supporters' interest to find it disgraceful, but your question to me makes it sound like I couldn't tell you they would.

It's not a hard sentence to understand. Trump's the president right now. Trump's supporters, a huge percentage of the country don't find a lot of what he does disgraceful. I can't believe that his supporters actually find anything AOC says disgraceful.

Actually they don't. Nobody is going through the list of all terrorist attacks and condemns them.

Personally I find this complete vapid nonsense and I felt exactly the same about the outrage around Trump comments around Charlottesville.

If a politician here refused to condemn a terrorist attack, it would be a very bad thing.. That's what I meant. I didn't mean that every politician goes out and makes an effort to do it.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's not a hard sentence to understand. Trump's the president right not. Trump's supporters, a huge percentage of the country don't find a lot of what he does disgraceful. I can't believe that his supporters actually find anything AOC says disgraceful.

In this case, they find what she doesn't say disgraceful.

If a politician here refused to condemn a terrorist attack, it would be a very bad thing.. That's what I meant. I didn't mean that every politician goes out and makes an effort to do it.

She refused to answer the journalist not refused to condemn the act. Thats like saying that every woman who refuses to sleep with you hates sex.

She didn't 'refuse', she said she'd have a statement later.

Why are you so outraged and snowflake-y about that?

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Good publicity?

Anyone who thinks Trump is a shoe-in is a fool. He'll lose Michigan and Wisconsin, and probably Pennsylvania too.
    I don't think Pennsylvania will flip. Outside of the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh area there remains much support for Trump in my state. I think the only way for Democrats to win back PA is to nominate a moderate candidate. Outside of the Philadelphia area instincts here are moderate and centrist. But since there isn’t a single moderate candidate in the democrat field I find it hard for them to take PA.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good publicity?

Hmm the "you're a fool" school of debate has never been terribly successful. Nobody is claiming he is but some people are drawing attention to the potential problems on the other side of the aisle of picking the wrong candidate. You also seem to be suggesting that anyone with a pulse will beat him.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hmm the "you're a fool" school of debate has never been terribly successful. Nobody is claiming he is but some people are drawing attention to the potential problems on the other side of the aisle of picking the wrong candidate. You also seem to be suggesting that anyone with a pulse will beat him.

I'm not suggesting that at all but go ahead and make things up like a good man.

Read my post, I was talking about those who think he's a shoe-in. I literally said those words.

Warren, Harris, Sanders, even Biden have the potential to beat him. Trump can win Florida and Ohio but still lose.

• Advertisement

She refused to answer the journalist not refused to condemn the act. Thats like saying that every woman who refuses to sleep with you hates sex.

Bad analogy. And terrible reasoning skills.

She didn't 'refuse', she said she'd have a statement later.

Why are you so outraged and snowflake-y about that?

Am I doing this right?

No, you're not. My interest in politics is anti-Brexit and anti-hysteria. I'm not a snowflake. One should not need time to release a statement regarding a terrorist attack. It's incredibly partisan in this case, and posters here are extremely biased. Derailment for so many posts and I'm just trying to bring it back to the thread's topic.

Advertisement