Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorley Park - take care

Options
  • 16-07-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just a word of warning to anyone letting their children down to Doorley Park on their own - and for anyone walking/ running through on their own. There is a crowd of youngsters that have been causing trouble there over the last few days - both boys and girls aged 10-13 or so. Attacking kids, intimidating runners, intimidating families, taking footballs. I'm aware of a number of calls to the Gardai that have already been made - but hasn't made an ounce of a difference. There were there again today, punched one kid and kicking balls away from families playing with their children - they take the ball and kick it over into the canal area (regardless of whether parents are there.) I know the post above may sound like an over reaction, but if you're anywhere near them you'll know exactly what I mean. They have the run of the place and have cleared Doorley park on several occassions. I just hope enough people make enough of an issue of it to stop them turning what is a fantastic amenity into a no go area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

At those ages the Guards can do very little until they actually assault someone. (Reactive rather than proactive)
    Maybe if everyone reported them & informed councillors highlighting of this black spot they might try do something?

It's what can be done is the problem....(Esp if their parents are just as bad)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

noticed this morning that one of the new signs beside the new jetty has had its glass screen smashed

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I was down there yesterday with my 4 year old and 9 year nephew. My nephew quickly made friends with a kid on his own and both started to play basket ball at one end of the court. Other kids were playing soccer at the opposite end.

These "children" came in and a girl about 12 took the basketball off my nephews new friend and proceeded to kick it across the green field. I saw this and started walking over, at this point they started to bully and try to start a fight with the kids playing soccer.
    I could hear them telling one kid they wanted a fight. I looked around to see if any parents were with them and none were to be seen.

One of them told my 4 year old to get away or they would spit at her. They moved on shortly afterwards, I kept a keen eye on them to ensure they did not get physical with the kids. Really annoyed me and had to keep cool not to face slap them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Bluejet wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to anyone letting their children down to Doorley Park on their own - and for anyone walking/ running through on their own. There is a crowd of youngsters that have been causing trouble there over the last few days - both boys and girls aged 10-13 or so. Attacking kids, intimidating runners, intimidating families, taking footballs. I'm aware of a number of calls to the Gardai that have already been made - but hasn't made an ounce of a difference. There were there again today, punched one kid and kicking balls away from families playing with their children - they take the ball and kick it over into the canal area (regardless of whether parents are there.) I know the post above may sound like an over reaction, but if you're anywhere near them you'll know exactly what I mean. They have the run of the place and have cleared Doorley park on several occassions. I just hope enough people make enough of an issue of it to stop them turning what is a fantastic amenity into a no go area.

I saw them a few days back - didn't think anything of it at the time.

Just sounded like some loud mouth young kids acting billy-bad-ass to impress the young girls with them.

Didn't hang around long enough to see what was what but, yeah - interesting to hear they're actually up to no good.

It's funny no grown up was assertive enough to put manners on them.

Maybe we need to get Billy Bob Thornton on the case;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theyl soon get bored when it starts getting wet again or may even pick on the wrong kid and get a bloody lip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Sligo Gardaí should be more proactive with gangs of little sh*ts like these roaming around the town unsupervised, any nonsense from these guys should be brought right back to the front doorstep of the parents, 3 strikes and bring in social services, word will soon spread.

Black Bart wrote: »
    Sligo Gardaí should be more proactive with gangs of little sh*ts like these roaming around the town unsupervised, any nonsense from these guys should be brought right back to the front doorstep of the parents, 3 strikes and bring in social services, word will soon spread.

The Gardaí are a reactive not proactive force..(Limited resources & hands are tied dealing with under age)
    We have judges that don't give long enough sentences
    We have politicians they don't change the laws quick enough
    We have a prison service that can't cope the people already convicted
    We have some irresponsible parents that don't know how to raise a child but yet know how to get every state support going ....
    None of the above are communicating in any constructive way....

Bringing them to the doorstep will make no difference to the parents that don't give a damn (They just wasn't them out of their hair)

This has been the same in Sligo for the last 30 years.....so nothing will change only the bullies....

BronsonTB wrote: »
    The Gardaí are a reactive not proactive force..(Limited resources & hands are tied dealing with under age)
    We have irresponsible parents that don't know how to raise a child but yet know how to get every state support going ....

Bringing them to the doorstep will make no difference to the parents that don't give a damn (They just wasn't them out of their hair)

This has been the same in Sligo for the last 30 years.....so nothing will change only the bullies....

Cliff notes:

A Billy Bob Thornton stunt double is looking more and more appealing (and practical).

Problem is not confined to Sligo of course.

Rode the Luas through Tallaght?

The "runts" basically own it and clear out carriages.

No one does a damn thing, cause no one wants to beat down a kid - or is assertive enough to deal with them.

There's a pervasive trash culture in Ireland.
    I'm curious as to where exactly this glorified "trash" idea originated initially though?

Any one have any speculations?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

BronsonTB wrote: »
    We have irresponsible parents that don't know how to raise a child but yet know how to get every state support going ....

I don't think it's fair to assume that all thugs belong to families who claim state supports, but I strongly agree that bringing them back to Mammy and Daddy with a bill for damages caused will drive the message home, when Mammy and Daddy have to fork out for any vandalism caused then it should soon stop, forget the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think it's fair to assume that all thugs belong to families who claim state supports, but I strongly agree that bringing them back to Mammy and Daddy with a bill for damages caused will drive the message home, when Mammy and Daddy have to fork out for any vandalism caused then it should soon stop, forget the courts.

Mammy and Daddy will just say they are too poor to pay and that'll be the end of it.

Fair enough, not assuming ALL but you can be damn sure it does applies to some of the Bullies!

Advertisement