Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity clothes - twins

Options
  • 16-07-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Ladies,

I’ve just found out I’m pregnant with twins and already my mind is gone into overdrive with how I will dress the impending bump that will be coming my way (touch wood all things going well) and I need some help!

So I’m living abroad and there is absolutely no maternity stores on island...online shopping is an option but packages take 3-4 weeks and we get charged a 40% tax on all goods coming in.

So my mum is going to visit in late August and will bring over a maternity wardrobe for me ( and save me
    A fortune in tax and shipping costs)...I’m currently wearing a size 8 (jeans are struggling to close already) but how many sizes up should I go? Should I order ASOS maternity in a 12 or even go up to a 14 as I expect my bump is going to be a lot bigger than standard single pregnancy! Day to day stuff I’m thinking stretchy dresses and T-shirt’s but work trousers and dresses are a concern.

This post screams of first world problems but it’s the little things that stress us out right :-)

Thanks ladies!

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

Congratulations, you must be very excited! :)

I have only ever been pregnant with singletons, and I am a few sizes larger than you anyway, but I just wanted to say that maternity clothes in general can be very large. And they are designed to accommodate a bump up to 42 weeks. Chances are that, if you carry to full term (hopefully), you won't start to look any bigger than a 40 week singleton pregnancy until you're over 32 weeks. You are normally supposed to stick with your pre-pregnancy size, but if you're worried I'd go up to a size 10, but no more for now. H&M do great maternity jeans and trousers that are comfy. Specific maternity clothes always look better than buying large or stretchy ordinary clothes, which often just look frumpy.

I hope this helps!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not sure where you are but could you get your mother to post you a few bits, marked Gift or something?To tide you over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you size up too much with jeans, etc, they’ll be massive on your legs. And generally not comfortable!
    As regards tops, they usually do accommodate quite the large bump! I’ve just had my fourth baby, and my bump was way bigger than on my previous pregnancies, but my maternity clothes saw me through nonetheless!

Your Mum could order some stuff in two sizes, and you could try them on and take back whichever you think won’t suit? It’s a bit of a faff though!
    Next sizes are quite generous. As are Dorothy Perkins (only online in Ireland I think). New look tend to have a good selection, but would be on the small side

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

Thank you! My first pregnancy and I made the mistake of googling...I’m off to do some H&M online shopping!

shesty wrote: »
    Not sure where you are but could you get your mother to post you a few bits, marked Gift or something?To tide you over?

Ohh I wish shesty....customs open everything here and charge tax on price and cost of postage.....they taxed me 40% and cost of shipping on a 6 pack of taytos at Christmas!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you size up too much with jeans, etc, they’ll be massive on your legs. And generally not comfortable!
    As regards tops, they usually do accommodate quite the large bump! I’ve just had my fourth baby, and my bump was way bigger than on my previous pregnancies, but my maternity clothes saw me through nonetheless!

Your Mum could order some stuff in two sizes, and you could try them on and take back whichever you think won’t suit? It’s a bit of a faff though!
    Next sizes are quite generous. As are Dorothy Perkins (only online in Ireland I think). New look tend to have a good selection, but would be on the small side

Thanks for the size tip....It didn’t even enter my mind that maternity sizes could run big or small!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

Congrats Kayay. How exciting!!! I reckon H&M are your best bet for maternity. They do excellent leggings, jeans and dresses and are mostly true to size. I found Next tough size wise. They always seem too big or jeans are too short. Its definitely a great idea to get your mum to buy two sizes and bring back the ones you don't need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lousy!

I bought my jeans in Topshop.They only do underbump, but they were very comfy for most of the pregnancy.H&M didn't suit me at all.
    I splashed out one pair of really good jeans in my last pregnancy on Seraphine.com.Their skinny black jeans were great for work, and they were over the bump.

Actually OP just thinking-my third baby was 10lb6oz but my regular maternity size was still ok.I just was really uncomfortable towards the end and mainly lived in mat tracksuit bottoms.So I wouldn't worry too much about going up sizes.Twins are often induced early (here anyway), so if you reached that weight of baby, you would be almost done I would imagine!!!!Your regular size should fit fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Congratulations OP! I'm 23 weeks today and have been in maternity wear since week 13 (I got big quick!)

I've gotten maternity wear from a few different places as it's my first baby. H and M - jeans and a couple of tee shirts. With the tees, I'd go with whatever you'd normally get size-wise. With the jeans, the cut seems to dictate some of how their fitting. I'd say I'll have grown out of a pair of skinnies in the next two weeks but a pair of straight cut are absolutely fine. I went with my usual size.

A brand that aren't maternity but actually are pretty great as I get bigger are Cos. Their designs tend to be flowey (think teepee dresses, circle shirts, a line). Got a lot their and it's showing no signs of getting tight on me.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Congratulations! You must be so excited.

I found I could go up a size for a while in jeans and tops but they only fitted for about 4 weeks before they got too tight again! Also like others said the legs in the trousers as you go up a size are massive and don't fit properly.

I am finding the maternity clothes very comfortable and still have loads of room in them. I'd say they are your best bet. Some of them can be poor fitting though and make you look alot bigger than you are but I have picked up a few nice bits and pieces that are a lovley fit. I bought alot from Next Online and a few things from H&M.

Happy shopping!

• Advertisement
Advertisement