Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling fron the U.S to Canada and back

Options
  • 16-07-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi we are going to Florida in August, myself wife and 2 adult kids. All ESTA's in order. My eldest son has now decided to fly from Florida to Canada to meet up with his college friends, he will then fly back to Florida and home with us. Is there any issue with his ESTA about leaving the States then coming back.
    He will only be there a week or 10 days. He has also gotten a Canadian "ESTA" many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No etsa is valid for a couple of years and can be used multi times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

discostu1 wrote: »
    Hi we are going to Florida in August, myself wife and 2 adult kids. All ESTA's in order. My eldest son has now decided to fly from Florida to Canada to meet up with his college friends, he will then fly back to Florida and home with us. Is there any issue with his ESTA about leaving the States then coming back.
    He will only be there a week or 10 days. He has also gotten a Canadian "ESTA" many thanks

The ESTA is just an authorisation to travel, the CBP agent will make the ultimate decision about whether to admit. There's no issue with what your son wants to do, he will probably get one stamp entering the US the first time and that should be valid for re-entry from Canada. He may get another stamp on re-entry, depends if the border agent notices that he already has a stamp.

Note that most airports in Canada have pre-clearence too, so customs/immigration will be before he boards his flight in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Thank you both very much didn't realise the pre clearance thing

To clarify I think that when he submitted the ESTA he didn't specify he was going to Canada would that make any difference ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

To clarify I think that when he submitted the ESTA he didn't specify he was going to Canada would that make any difference ??

No problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My eldest son has now decided to fly from Florida to Canada to meet up with his college friends, he will then fly back to Florida and home with us. Is there any issue with his ESTA about leaving the States then coming back.

No problem, the visa waiver system allows this. The 90 day travel permit your son will get on entering the US permits him to leave the US to travel to Canada, Mexico and 'the adjacent islands' (basically the Caribbean, excluding Cuba) and return under the original permit.

The clock on the 90 day permit continues to run while he is outside the US but he can return to the US under the original 90 day permit i.e. when he returns from Canada, it will not be considered a new trip and he won't need a current ESTA.

So in the most extreme scenario, you could enter the US on the day your ESTA expires, get a 90 day travel permit stamped in your passport and during those 90 days, you could travel to Canada and back and there wouldn't be any issues.

Thanks you very much guys you have put my mind at rest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

As an Irish Passport holder, you will need to complete an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada by air as a tourist (including transiting through Canada). An ETA is not required if travelling by land or sea.

will be doing the same but by car so will not need the eta

As an Irish Passport holder, you will need to complete an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada by air as a tourist (including transiting through Canada). An ETA is not required if travelling by land or sea.

will be doing the same but by car so will not need the eta
    Thank you he has arranged the eta , enjoy your holiday

Advertisement