Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It House or Home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I think it changes over time.

I rented for most of my 20's, typically house shares but over all I genreally had a good experience in them. Over time, they would begin to feel comfortable and I'd feel quite at home, but my parents house was always Home. I never changed my bank details or other important things (car tax, my vote, etc) to any of my rental addresses, I always have my post sent "home" and I'd get it at the weekends. I always maintained a bedroom there too but over time my stuff thinned out any my mam started using the room more for storage but it wasnt until I bought my own place that I really let go.

Back then I used to love nothing more than decamping to my parents house (or "home" as I used to call it) for 10 days at Christmas. Now I probably only stay 2 nights, and honestly it feels long.

Bought 4 years ago, and honestly still haven't changed over much stuff. Looking to buy again to what will be the forever house and will probably only then move everything to that address. Its not like where I live now doesn't feel like home, it does, but it was never the long term plan. We even have a pet at my current address, so I think things like that help you feel a greater sense of ownership.

This next house is absolutely the forever home. That said, I've no doubt it will feel weird for the first few weeks/months, and it will take time to achieve that "home" feeling, even though we never intend to move again. That feeling has to be earned over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I just call it me Gaff. Typical Dub but saves all the confusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when you have moved a few times... home is where the light switches are at night... which side of the bed you get out of.. simple things ;)

Been here nearly 2 years and still when I wake I sometimes have to struggle to think what is outside the door, ie road, garden etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A house is specific type of building ,semi or detached .
    It usually has 4 walls and a roof .
    A Home is where you live, you can live in a cottage, apartment ,flat ,house
    or a cave or a mobile home .
    Each house has a front door which only the owner or resident / tenant has acess to .
    gaff = dublin slang for where you live .

Advertisement