Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expectations for England heading into next year's Euro's?

• 17-07-2019 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

So I was looking at the betting odds for next years Europeans Championships, and noticed England are clear 2nd favourites (assuming they qualify which they should):

France - 7/2
    England - 9/2
    Belgium - 7/1
    Spain - 7/1
    Germany - 8/1
    Netherlands - 9/1
    Italy - 14/1
    Portugal - 18/1
    Croatia - 25/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2020/winner

Quite short price for England, although a lot of this is likely to do with the semi finals and finals being played at Wembley, and although not entirely relatable, we've seen how England recently have been able to utilise home advantage in sports like Cricket, particularly in the later stages when they have momentum, so I do if England did reach the semi's, their chances would increase signficantly.

But the expectations game is definitely different for Southgate this time. Coming into 2018 WC, England benefited from low expectations, the country couldn't have gotten any lower coming off the Iceland debacle in 2016, and many people lost interest in the national team entirely. I remember the conversations 2 years ago people were just happy to get out of the group stages! That they didn't embarress themselves etc. Then of course they exceeded expectations (with the help of a kind draw), the nation fell in love with the team once again etc.

But they wont go in as plucky underdogs this time, the nation has hope, and England are a serious contender (which IMO is right). I think for me the absolute minimum is the quarter final, and if England are serious to show things are actually different under Southgate compared to previous era's and consolate progress, the semi's should be the target.

Of course though if England get out of the groups and crash out to the first half decent side, then England are back to square 1, and it will feel momentum is lost. What do you think the expectations for England should be following the progress under Southgate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Weird one... don't think I'd have England ahead of Belgium, or even Germany or Spain. They had major issues scoring from anything other than set pieces at the last world cup - they were bloody good at set pieces, but that will only get you so far... And even though they got to the semi's, they did it without really ever beating anyone you wouldn't expect them to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have a chance if they have an Irishman and Allah on their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

England were second favourites going into Euro88 in West Germany.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Are they UK bookies? I can't imagine punters in Germany, Holland and France lumping loads of cash on England
    Law of averages are with them I mean even Greece won one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Are they UK bookies? I can't imagine punters in Germany, Holland and France lumping loads of cash on England

Punts wouldn't really effect the odds that much yet. Marginally yes but not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Punts wouldn't really effect the odds that much yet. Marginally yes but not enough.

but UK bookies would take in enormous money in the UK on bets on England which would drive down the odds there. It's why Liverpool have been second favourites to win the league the last 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

WC semi finalists
    Nations League A winner
    Nations league Finals 3rd place.

They should be expecting semi finals of the Euros 2020 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

gimli2112 wrote: »
    but UK bookies would take in enormous money in the UK on bets on England which would drive down the odds there. It's why Liverpool have been second favourites to win the league the last 25 years.

Not a year before the event, also plenty of bookies offer online betting around the world so odds wont fluctuate that much. https://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2020/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Host nations are always very short with the bookies so in a way I can see why England are second favs even though they are definitely not the second best team - if they do manage to make it to the semis then they'll fancy themselves with a great chance to push on having home advantage.

That said, this England team is probably getting overhyped. They only got to the semis of the WC because of an absurdly kind group and draw. If you think about it the only decent teams they faced in the WC were:

- Belgium - lose
    - Colombia (a tier 2 side really, not a giant) - draw
    - Croatia - lose

Their performances and results were basically par, just so happened the way the draw fell all they needed was par to reach the semis.

So I would say again it depends on how the draw falls, but getting to the semis should be seen as a very good achievement. I would say quarters is more so on par for them, as they are in the top 8 sides of Europe imo, but not in the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I thought the Netherlands were a decent bet but recent results have been fairly mixed and the price has come in a bit, so it's hard to know. They have to get it right soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭lorcand1990

Definitely surprised they're so far ahead of Belgium considering Belgium beat them twice in the WC & have a better squad.. Croatia @ 25/1 seems harsh too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

FitzShane wrote: »
    WC semi finalists
    Nations League A winner
    Nations league Finals 3rd place.

They should be expecting semi finals of the Euros 2020 again.

They had a handy run in the World Cup. Lost to Belgium in the group stage, barely beat Colombia on penalties and then beat a very poor Sweden side. They then blew it big time in the semi final against Croatia after going a goal up. I would be surprised if they got to the semi final of the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They had a handy run in the World Cup. Lost to Belgium in the group stage, barely beat Colombia on penalties and then beat a very poor Sweden side. They then blew it big time in the semi final against Croatia after going a goal up. I would be surprised if they got to the semi final of the Euros.

Croatia barely beat Russia and Denmark, and their form has fallen off a cliff since the tournament. Theirs and England's side of the draw was far easier after Spain choked. Sometimes just works out that way.

With a decent draw, think semis is possible. Aside from Belgium and France, all the other main teams are either re-emerging (Italy, Netherlands) or in transition (Spain, Germany).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I thought i saw it said that if England make the semi finals then they will play their semi final and final at Wembley. Could go some way to explaning the odds.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They have a chance if they have an Irishman and Allah on their side.

Appoint Eoin Morgan as captain?

:)

Advertisement