Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S60 V Toyota Camry

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just drove the 508 and it's a lovely car to drive,steering is great and it felt pretty fast. Only downside is the cabin feels a bit small for the size of the car and it's very dark inside as well. Doesn't feel as well put together as the Toyota either. Materials didn't feel as nice to the touch and everything is black so nothing stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just drove the 508 and it's a lovely car to drive,steering is great and it felt pretty fast. Only downside is the cabin feels a bit small for the size of the car and it's very dark inside as well. Doesn't feel as well put together as the Toyota either. Materials didn't feel as nice to the touch and everything is black so nothing stands out.

I presume it was the 180bhp petrol 508 you drove? How would you compare it to driving the hybrid Camry with its CVT gearbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bazz26 wrote: »
    Grasping at straws? That's truly ironic coming from yourself judging by some of your postings on here. :D

If the government kite flyers are to be believed then hybrid cars will be hit in the budget too but I truly do hope diesel resale values drop as there will be great value in buying them but I've yet to find these cheap diesels as predicted.

But do carry on.

running two diesels at the moment (distance requirement), And im under no illusions as to these being long term. Diesels will be banned from city areas within the next 10 years or they will carry a surcharge to do so. Anyone thinking this wont happen needs to look at the trends.

Yearning for cheaper diesels. There will be no such thing it will cost you in the pocket someway or another.

Frankly being a motorcyclist i cant wait to see the back of them. Dirty disgusting machines including the newer ones. Amount of crap they pump out is incredible. You can taste it in the air.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I presume it was the 180bhp petrol 508 you drove? How would you compare it to driving the hybrid Camry with its CVT gearbox?

It was actually the 1.5 diesel, no petrols available anywhere, and it felt pretty nice when shifting from 40-80 approx. At very low speeds it was pretty noisy in comparison to the Camry. Going to take the camry out on the m50 to get a real feel for it because I can't truly compare right now. Current feeling is the Peugeot feels a little sportier but mainly due to driver position not necessarily anything to do with the engine.

Throwing a spanner in the works here. Anyone got any thoughts on this https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series-520i-M-SPORT-PETROL-AUTOMATIC-CALL-PETER-086-77928/201906279458765
    I know very little about cars so if anyone knows why this wouldn't be a good buy I'd be interested to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Throwing a spanner in the works here. Anyone got any thoughts on this https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series-520i-M-SPORT-PETROL-AUTOMATIC-CALL-PETER-086-77928/201906279458765
    I know very little about cars so if anyone knows why this wouldn't be a good buy I'd be interested to hear

They have a hybrid 5 series

Apart from that I reason not to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Looks like the 5 series is on a dummy plate - so possibly an import.

A dealer with a TAN number registers the car when someone buys it - so it wont have an Irish reg plate yet.

Dealers will often use a dummy plate like that one or simply a plate with the year on it - ie 2018 or 181 on its own.

It's NOT a reason not to buy but still worth noting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Japanese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Japanese

As in Japanese import??????.

What makes you think that

• Advertisement

That's interesting, would that make it lesser quality if it was a Japanese import? Is it a better buy than the new cars I was looking at? Seems a reasonable price to me.

Old diesel wrote: »
    As in Japanese import??????.

What makes you think that

All cars are imports. I mean Japanese cars are better, more reliable, cheaper to run, fix etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All cars are imports. I mean Japanese cars are better, more reliable, cheaper to run, fix etc etc.

And the import camrys from Japan have a great info screen in Japanese!

Referring back to Toyota vs Volvo

ELM327 wrote: »
    And the import camrys from Japan have a great info screen in Japanese!

The imports from Japan might, but not the one I was looking at in Sandyford :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

What do guys think the new camry would depreciate next year say a 191 is down to 39k now would it drop another 4k in January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ofcork wrote: »
    What do guys think the new camry would depreciate next year say a 191 is down to 39k now would it drop another 4k in January?
    They don't just depreciate on the 1st.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't they start at around 39k brand new? Aren't Toyota pushing them with a scrappage discount too?

Top spec platinum is around 44k new.

Top spec platinum is around 44k new.

I test drove one of those today. I loved it.

Are you taking the plunge?

• Advertisement

Are you taking the plunge?
    No. I was shopping for old mother Ba. She purchased a CHR. I know the garage owner and he has seen me licking the windows ofthe Camry several times so gave me the keys and said to take it out for a spin.

The acceleration at 100kmh took me by surprise. I will be buying one to replace the Avensis whenever that happens.

Love to get into one out of reach price wise at the moment hoping a 191 will drop another few k next year as to finance one at 39k now is over 640 a month for 5 years.

Advertisement