Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Giant, TCR ADV2, TCR ADV2 Disc, Propel ADV2?

Options
  • 17-07-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any advice on these 3 bikes, very similar specification and very close on price.

PROPEL ADVANCED 2 2019

TCR ADVANCED 2 2019

TCR ADVANCED 2 DISC 2019

I'm leaning towards the propel for no other reason all the reviews say it's a rocket. It sounds like it rides much the same as the rest besides that.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only decision between the two TCRs is whether you want discs, and are happy with the €200 price difference for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't know if I need them, have them on my mountain bike but that's for barrelling down the side of mountain at speed on loose ground.
    Where do you think the propel fits in, i'm not seeing much difference over the TCR just that it's a bit more aerodynamic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in terms of geometry/riding position, they're essentially identical; the TCR has a lower top tube/standover height but apart from this all measurements are identical, including stack and reach.
    i guess it'd just be down to comfort, the propel blurb speaks more about race advantage and stiffness, the TCR more about being an all-rounder.

You had to say the comfort word, the marketing spin seems to bill the Defy as the comfort model like this one https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-2
    It's not going to be used for commuting but it will end up on long enough road spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

All lovely bikes. My money would be on the tcr non disc. Lightest of the three. A lot lighter than the propel certainly.

However I would say, if you know your size, to have a look 2nd hand. Donedeal is full of nearly new giants and you could pick up an advanced pro that was 3600 new for around 1800. Better wheels, frame and groupset.

• Advertisement

I'm using the bike to work, business is paying for it so I just need to pay the bik on anything over 1k, so the 2k price point will mean I just need to pay 500ish. Some nice ones there used but I need an invoice for a new bike for the bike to work.
    The TCR non disk was my choice until yesterday, seemed like the best bang for buck. Was just a little concerned it might get a bit shaky on high speed decents or will I bottle it before the bike does?

You had to say the comfort word
    from bikeradar's review of the propel from a bit over a year ago (albeit the more expensive ultegra/disc model):
    Pros: Dazzling speed, looks and all-round performance
    Cons: The firm ride, and it’s not a bike for cruisers

I'm using the bike to work, business is paying for it so I just need to pay the bik on anything over 1k, so the 2k price point will mean I just need to pay 500ish. Some nice ones there used but I need an invoice for a new bike for the bike to work.
    The TCR non disk was my choice until yesterday, seemed like the best bang for buck. Was just a little concerned it might get a bit shaky on high speed decents or will I bottle it before the bike does?

Fair 'nuff. I've a 2018 TCR (advanced pro) and had the 2016 one before it. Handles great, very comfy, no high speed shakes wherever you got that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

TCR non disc of for non racing road spins, in use mine for racing and its a savage machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

The brakes on the Propel are rubbish . Any bike at that level needs to be disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

The brakes on the Propel are rubbish . Any bike at that level needs to be disc

does any bike need disc brakes racing if not at pro level. very little take up in bunches this year, one puncture and you're goosed

fat bloke wrote: »
    Fair 'nuff. I've a 2018 TCR (advanced pro) and had the 2016 one before it. Handles great, very comfy, no high speed shakes wherever you got that idea.

It was from some review, I've read so many at this stage not even sure it's the TCR they were referring to. It's what made start looking at the propel though as there more or less the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Which bike do you like the look of the best? They are all good bikes. All have positives and negatives. If you were on a propel and a TCR went past would you think 'i should have bought one of them?'

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

TCR advanced pro for me, super bike, the propel just "feels" a lot heavier

joey100 wrote: »
    Which bike do you like the look of the best? They are all good bikes. All have positives and negatives. If you were on a propel and a TCR went past would you think 'i should have bought one of them?'

I think the Propel looks better (faster) but the TCR handlebar isn't as flustered looking cable wise.
    If one overtook me I might think maybe I should have went for the faster straight line bike, probably just think I need to pedal harder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I've an older TCR Advanced, great bike. Also have a Contend for knocking about on/ carrying my daughter in a child seat on, and the TCR is so much more comfortable. Would love disc brakes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It all depends on what you want the bike for.
    I've owned a standard rim braked Propel,.and it was a lovely fast machine, with no issues stopping if the brakes were set up correctly. Fiddly to work on though compared to standard calipers.
    The Propels are stiffer if using the integrated seat post. I didn't find it harsh to ride without ISP.
    I currently ride a disc braked Defy, and it's beautiful to ride, certainly no slower than the Propel, cos I don't ride fast enough to benefit from the aero designs. I attribute comfort to wider tyres (28mm on my Defy) and thicker bartape!
    The TCR is the more race orientated, especially in rim brake option, and is usually specced with the ISP at pro level. The disc TCR was introduced to appeal to the masses who wanted just that - discs.
    Are discs better? Yes. Are they needed? Is anything needed?

I think the Propel looks better (faster) but the TCR handlebar isn't as flustered looking cable wise.
    If one overtook me I might think maybe I should have went for the faster straight line bike, probably just think I need to pedal harder though.

Any good giant dealer should be able to offer you a test ride on both

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

TRC rim brake model would be my pick of the bunch.

Am I the only person who thinks the Propel is a real ugly bike? A mate of mine has one, thinks it’s 2016/17 model with DuraAce and he fitted Boras (50mm) abc I think it’s such a pig ugly bike. I wouldn’t have one even if I were offered one for free.

TRC rim brake model would be my pick of the bunch.

Am I the only person who thinks the Propel is a real ugly bike? A mate of mine has one, thinks it’s 2016/17 model with DuraAce and he fitted Boras (50mm) abc I think it’s such a pig ugly bike. I wouldn’t have one even if I were offered one for free.

They're not pretty, that's for sure. And they're getting progressively more ... angular.
    Personally I'm sick of the identikit, same 'ol, same mould aero-frame silhouette. I think things are going to back to the lighter svelte-ier, elegant climbing bikes, and judging by the pro-peloton the experts agree with us! :)

• Advertisement

If the silver TCR pro disc here comes with an invoice could be a contender..asked my 5yr old opinion he said get the blue one.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-bicycles/22244750

If the silver TCR pro disc here comes with an invoice could be a contender..asked my 5yr old opinion he said get the blue one.

A wee man with great taste !!!!

Yep pop into Gary you will get a good deal there :)

mamax wrote: »
    Yep pop into Gary you will get a good deal there :)

He better, it's a long enough drive and the Mrs doesn't want to hit the beach this weekend.

Have the older TCR. Responsive, loves downhills and bends. Flicks easily through corners. A lovely bike to ride. I actually want another :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Not a fan of the Propel, ugly bike, fiddly brake set up etc. Hired a TCR over in Fuerteventura a couple of years back and it was a lovely bike, comfortable yet happy at speed, got up to 80kmh on descents and never felt twitchy, I think you couldn't go far wrong with a TCR. As for rim brake vs disc, personally I don't see the need for disc but that's a whole other discussion.:):)

Ended up with the discs in the end and an empty tank of petrol after the day :)

The silver TCR pictured above?

Crackin bike. Well done.

Yea that's the one. Still a few nice ones left there but a lot sold. Stickers are still on the discs and not a scratch on it. Just need to fine tune it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement