Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyances On The Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

GreeBo wrote: »
    People who very slowly take a sweet or crisp out of the packet while you are getting ready to hit.
    Either wait the 30s for me to hit or hurry the frick up!

I agree. It's sort of like the whispering, its more noticeable because they're trying to be discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i'm sure there are plenty of things that peeve me on the golf course but I get over most of them.

But the one thing that really annoys me is the fella who throws clubs around in anger and bangs them into the ground damaging the course. Probably won't play with them lads again. I will always say something to them if they do stuff like that where the other stuff thats annoying will just go to the back on my mind and I'll concentrate on my own game.

In front of the person hitting is the place to stand, that's what i was always taught. It's just good etiquette. Standing behind someone is just a bit unnerving.

agree
    Dbu wrote: »
    We differ then, couldnt give a sh1te where they stand. I played of match play as a young fella, so have seen most tricks in the book as regards where guys try and stand to put you off.
    Them starting to walk just as you start your backswing was always one that used to grind me years ago.

possibly you are the type of person who stands in the wrong place with our realising it.

i remember asking someone to move on the green one time, they were holding the flag but their shadow was over the hole, i asked them to stand the other side so i could see the hole better. well every time i held the flag for him for the rest of the round he asked me to stand the other side. i don't think he even knew why i asked him to move, just a smart arse!

regularly fellas will stand very close to hole and right in your line when you are putting. i think its just a case of bad education. most of the time i don't bother saying anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads who take multiple practice swings.

Lads who call a good shot in the air when you know it wasn't and it's going into the bunker.

Lads not knowing basic rules despite playing for years.

Slow play

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Answering the phone in a comp.

Club throwing.

Starting a conversation in the middle of a swing. I can take a continuous sound but it's the ones that start mid swing.

Not raking bunkers repairing divots/pitch marks.

It's been mentioned already and disputed but if I ask you not to tell me my score and you tell me straight after I finish talking or the same with swing advice **** you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

People that stand behind me when I'm hitting:mad:

Nothing like a Jason Day stance with a good exhaust of the previous nights curry to sort that.

Seve OB wrote: »
    agree

possibly you are the type of person who stands in the wrong place with our realising it.

i remember asking someone to move on the green one time, they were holding the flag but their shadow was over the hole, i asked them to stand the other side so i could see the hole better. well every time i held the flag for him for the rest of the round he asked me to stand the other side. i don't think he even knew why i asked him to move, just a smart arse!

regularly fellas will stand very close to hole and right in your line when you are putting. i think its just a case of bad education. most of the time i don't bother saying anything anymore.

Had a lad, only a few weeks ago, get down on his hunkers right behind me as I was putting. His putt was closer and on the same line. Had to tell him to move. He's was down low ready for the perfect view.

i really don't get how people can not know their own score.
    the one time i wouldn't know exactly is if it was raining and i'm heading for a score of less than 20. why? because if im heading for less than 20 its not worth knowing and if i was going half decent i would always know my score in my head anyway & because i always mark it on the card im marking, as everybody should. if its raining heavy and cards getting ruined, marking might stop and would just have to make mental notes to fill in later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

I'm one of those who don't like to know my score particularly. Tell me and I have no problem with it but if im going well i prefer to just concentrate on what im doing well and not think about scores. keeps me from overthinking which is a killer for me.

Standing behind someones tee shot will be something i do too but only after asking. Usually just for drives that are played later in the day when sun is in your face and you need another set of eyes.

Any player who damages the course is unforgivable though. Throw your clubs if you want or curse the world if you are having a nightmare but if you are ruining the course because you are having a bad day then you need to be called out on it there and then.

'You lifted your head on that one' guys are also a pet hate but usually its well intentioned, even if not welcome, so usually i brush it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pakman wrote: »
    I'm one of those who don't like to know my score particularly. Tell me and I have no problem with it but if im going well i prefer to just concentrate on what im doing well and not think about scores. keeps me from overthinking which is a killer for me.

Standing behind someones tee shot will be something i do too but only after asking. Usually just for drives that are played later in the day when sun is in your face and you need another set of eyes.

Any player who damages the course is unforgivable though. Throw your clubs if you want or curse the world if you are having a nightmare but if you are ruining the course because you are having a bad day then you need to be called out on it there and then.

'You lifted your head on that one' guys are also a pet hate but usually its well intentioned, even if not welcome, so usually i brush it off.

Anyone who throws a club is a twat - there is no other version of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Had a lad, only a few weeks ago, get down on his hunkers right behind me as I was putting. His putt was closer and on the same line. Had to tell him to move. He's was down low ready for the perfect view.

Not only annoying, but I think that's also against the rules isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

When you say "behind" you I presume you mean he was to your right, as in behind the line of your putt? Because being behind you wouldn't really help him surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

etxp wrote: »
    Not only annoying, but I think that's also against the rules isn't it?

I think it's just mentioned in the Etiquette section so has never been against the rules.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

People that stand behind me when I'm hitting:mad:

Where would your preference be - I guess to the left and slightly behind for a right hander so they are totally out of sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

I don't keep track of my score either. I know if I'm going well obviously but I never tot up the score in my head. Sometimes knowing my score can make me take on more aggressive lines which never ends well. Doesn't bother me if person marking card tells me, but most people ask do you want to know.
    Most annoying thing is someone giving a putting tip when you're putting well. I had a case when holing everything, then miss one and playing partner will criticise my putting stroke and tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's funky, it works, leave it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Where would your preference be - I guess to the left and slightly behind for a right hander so they are totally out of sight?

As a right hander then in front of me and anywhere in a line backwards from the right hand tee marker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

What bugs the hell out of me is if i'm going kinda ok in a round a playing partner will tell me "you won't be off xx handicap for long hitting the ball like that" I'm 10 years playing and still inconsistent so am off this damm handicap for a reason.

I'm doing my best to get it down but its just not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

charlieIRL wrote: »
    What bugs the hell out of me is if i'm going kinda ok in a round a playing partner will tell me "you won't be off xx handicap for long hitting the ball like that" I'm 10 years playing and still inconsistent so am off this damm handicap for a reason.

I'm doing my best to get it down but its just not working.

I get that regularly as well as being called a bandit. 20+ points on one of the nines followed by <10 points for the other nine is a regular occurrence for me.

There is a reason I'm a 19 handicapper. And it's not because I'm brilliant. Some day, maybe but just not now :)

davegilly wrote: »
    I get that regularly as well as being called a bandit. 20+ points on one of the nines followed by <10 points for the other nine is a regular occurrence for me.

There is a reason I'm a 19 handicapper. And it's not because I'm brilliant. Some day, maybe but just not now :)

This also annoys me, last round out I was +15 on front nine -2 on back nine. Haven’t a clue what was wrong but yet I will be off 3 or 4 in no time according to my playing partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This also annoys me, last round out I was +15 on front nine -2 on back nine. Haven’t a clue what was wrong but yet I will be off 3 or 4 in no time according to my playing partners.

-2 for 9 holes haha to be fair I can see where your playing partners are coming from

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    -2 for 9 holes haha to be fair I can see where your playing partners are coming from

Haha maybe a bad example, but the front nine included 3 duff chips and 3 duff putts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Haha maybe a bad example, but the front nine included 3 duff chips and 3 duff putts!!!!

If you get rid of those 6 duffs, you'll be off 3 or 4 in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

1. Club throwers
    2. Medium handicap golfers who get annoyed when they don’t hit good shots every time.
    3. Rangefinders, I despise playing with people who take these out for every shot, it delays the pace of play and few golfers can hit a ball accurately enough to make them useful. I recently played on my home course with a guy who has been a member for over 20 years, he was using one of these when hitting wedges to greens and never once got the ball within 20 yards of the pin.

Just another thing that's annoying me lately more than usual is the amount of golfers who don't know the very basic rules of golf, some have been playing their entire lives and still don't know how to take a correct drop.

Playing club comp last Saturday. One of my FC landed on the cart path. One side of the path was nice short grass and the other heavy rough, guess which side he dropped it all though it wasn't anywhere near the NPOR? when I corrected him he said "sure that's not fair, that's in the rough". Nearest point of relief not the nicest point.

Another. Lad hit ball into pond, last point of entry was 40 yards back and he proceeded to drop out to the side down where his ball landed in the drink. I don't like having to correct them as it makes the rest of the round a bit frosty but these boys have been playing like this for years and god only knows how many thing they've won along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Just another thing that's annoying me lately more than usual is the amount of golfers who don't know the very basic rules of golf, some have been playing their entire lives and still don't know how to take a correct drop.

Playing club comp last Saturday. One of my FC landed on the cart path. One side of the path was nice short grass and the other heavy rough, guess which side he dropped it all though it wasn't anywhere near the NPOR? when I corrected him he said "sure that's not fair, that's in the rough". Nearest point of relief not the nicest point.

Another. Lad hit ball into pond, last point of entry was 40 yards back and he proceeded to drop out to the side down where his ball landed in the drink. I don't like having to correct them as it makes the rest of the round a bit frosty but these boys have been playing like this for years and god only knows how many thing they've won along the way.

Both sides of the cart part are within the rules as long as it is not nearer the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Both sides of the cart part are within the rules as long as it is not nearer the hole.

I don't think that's the case. You have to go to NPOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bunkers not being raked really pisses me off.

It's even more of an insult if the attempt is so miserable that it makes things even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think that's the case. You have to go to NPOR.

It's within 1 clublength of the nearest point of relief not nearer the hole. So it's occasionally the case that that will be on the side of the path nearer to the hole, but you'll be going horizontally across so that you're not nearer to the hole. And a mistake people sometimes make is thinking it's a clublength from the edge of the path. It's not, it's the nearest point where your stance and swing are not impeded by the path. But importantly, you don't have a choice where this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

Most of these are very funny and true. I'll add the person who gets annoyed because you wait for people ahead to clear when they wouldn't have to. A par 5 for example where you're 220m to the middle of the green. Most wouldn't make it. But it's probably 210 to the front of the green. Take wind and run into consideration and that's well within range for a lot of people. It's then a sickener to not make it, even though you were right to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Bunkers not being raked really pisses me off.

It's even more of an insult if the attempt is so miserable that it makes things even worse.

I love the people who rake their foot prints but somehow always seem to leave the gouge their club made...:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement