Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyances On The Course

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

Both sides of the cart part are within the rules as long as it is not nearer the hole.

There is only ever one nearest point of relief

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Both sides of the cart part are within the rules as long as it is not nearer the hole.

There is only one nearest point of relief. You don't have a choice where to drop. You must take full relief including stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    There is only one nearest point of relief. You don't have a choice where to drop. You must take full relief including stance.

And just to add, the NPOR can be in a Bush or shrub, it's a set point and you're not entitled to a nice place to drop hence the saying, nearest point of relief not the nicest point of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    And just to add, the NPOR can be in a Bush or shrub, it's a set point and you're not entitled to a nice place to drop hence the saying, nearest point of relief not the nicest point of relief.

Ah, in a Bush or shrub would be an unplayable lie. You're not entitled to pick a place because it has a nice lie or line to the green. In fact you're not allowed any choice at all. But you're not supposed to take a drop where you're next shot will be a penalty drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    Ah, in a Bush or shrub would be an unplayable lie.
    Indeed it might and thems the breaks.
    But you're not supposed to take a drop where you're next shot will be a penalty drop.
    Where are you getting that from?
    You are obligated to take complete relief from the obstacle/scenario/etc that you are taking relief from but not any other obstacle.
    If your NPR is in a bush then you take that drop and start the process again from with the bush OR you choose not to take the initial relief in the first place (assuming thats an option open to you)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I hate it when I play with different members on a weekend and just because I might hit a few decent drives or a good approach, you get the usual “ahh you won’t be long playing off that handicap” or “you’re hitting it too well to be off that high an handicap”
    I’m off the dam thing because no matter how hard I try or practice I can’t get it down. Get over it, I’m not minding it. I want to get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

blue note wrote: »
    Ah, in a Bush or shrub would be an unplayable lie. You're not entitled to pick a place because it has a nice lie or line to the green. In fact you're not allowed any choice at all. But you're not supposed to take a drop where you're next shot will be a penalty drop.

Why do you think pros sometimes hit off the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I hate it when I play with different members on a weekend and just because I might hit a few decent drives or a good approach, you get the usual “ahh you won’t be long playing off that handicap” or “you’re hitting it too well to be off that high an handicap”
    I’m off the dam thing because no matter how hard I try or practice I can’t get it down. Get over it, I’m not minding it. I want to get it down.

you are a bleedin bandit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Playing partners constantly checking their phone

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Seen what I can only describe as a father being a complete and utter knob to his teenage daughter last week on the course.

I was in the practice area and could see the 10th tee from my vantage point.
    The course looked packed throughout. The father was waiting on tee for group ahead to move on fairway. His daughter standing on woman's tee about 50 yards ahead. He shouted at the top of his voice at her that when he's teeing off she needs to stand out of his F#€@ing way.
    Now maybe she was in his line if he hit a poor drive but shouting and language was absolutely no way to talk to someone.

So tempted to let him know as such but he was so thick I probably would of lost my temper too.
    Gonna remove his nomination for father of the year list. Would of liked to of seen him say it to a fully grown adult.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

agree, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Some players use their phone as a gps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Players that say 'your head was up on that one'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm guilty of that TBH but I have no choice. I'm on call 24hrs a day for work. I couldn't play golf otherwise. I check it discretely every couple of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

If you were that way intentioned, you could have some craic on the next boards outing with this minefield of bugbears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

OEP wrote: »
    There is only ever one nearest point of relief

Not necessarily, there could be a point where it is the same distance to go either side of a path. Unlikely the ball would happen to rest in that place though as it would be one single point where it could happen.

Edit: Could you drop on the nicer side of the path if you intend to swing left handed? so switching from right handed to left handed for that swing to not drop in a bush?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »

Edit: Could you drop on the nicer side of the path if you intend to swing left handed? so switching from right handed to left handed for that swing to not drop in a bush?

I don't think so.
    my reading is that you can only do something like that if it would be reasonable to be playing left handed anyway.
    e.g. you are against a wall and wouldnt have a normal swing, you line up left handed and then you have interference from something to which you get free relief.

It wouldnt be normal for you to play left handed in your scenario, you are only doing it to move the NPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

The pre-mature "Good Shot" guy
    & The 6 hour long round guy.

:D:D from 3.28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

davegilly wrote: »
    Some players use their phone as a gps?

Nothing worse than people on their phone on the course. People texting or checking social media outlets while on the course is just ridiculous.
    The group in front of me here now has a guy who hasn’t had his phone out of his hand the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

ForeRight wrote: »
    Nothing worse than people on their phone on the course. People texting or checking social media outlets while on the course is just ridiculous.
    The group in front of me here now has a guy who hasn’t had his phone out of his hand the last hour.

:D

• Advertisement

:D very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Member who take 2 mins to line up the 1ft putt they have taken about 100 times before.
    Lads who continue to line up their putt walk around the green as you are about to hit your putt.
    Players in stableford comps continue to play their ball to the end despite scratching it early in hole. Watched one lad last week who had lost 2 holes by 14th duff his way up a par 5 and still about 200ms short of green. Kept playing till the end though.

Advertisement