Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nintendo Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Will GameStop refund a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just had a call to advise delivery won't be in for tomorrow for preorder. Gamestop hope to have it early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gamestop website now says 13-9-19 (changed from 6-9-19) for the Switch 1.1.

Has anyone gotten theirs today yet?

I've not been called so have some small hope for when I head to collect mine tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rhyme wrote: »
    Gamestop website now says 13-9-19 (changed from 6-9-19) for the Switch 1.1.

Has anyone gotten theirs today yet?

I've not been called so have some small hope for when I head to collect mine tomorrow morning.

I rang today - they said there is a slim chance of tomorrow but more than likely Tuesday

Make sure your number is correct on your Gamestop account - mine was not

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I rang today - they said there is a slim chance of tomorrow but more than likely Tuesday

Make sure your number is correct on your Gamestop account - mine was not

Just called there and confirmed, nothing in today. They said that today was a soft release and that Nintendo haven't sent out the consoles yet. Very apologetic and understanding. They took my name and number and will give me a ring when they come over the next few days. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Just called there and confirmed, nothing in today. They said that today was a soft release and that Nintendo haven't sent out the consoles yet. Very apologetic and understanding. They took my name and number and will give me a ring when they come over the next few days. Ah well.

Argos have them since Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lucas1980

Amazon is selling the new version for £279: https://tinyurl.com/y4q2eey8
    The 3 available reviews confirm it is the new version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Surprised people can even specifically pre-order the new unit. I guess retailers got enough calls about it and are making the different SKU a specific entry. They would want to hope they can quietly shift their existing units to parents at Christmas time. Smyths shelves are stacked with OG's and they said they want those gone first before selling the new ones, at least that's what a clerk told me, dunno if that is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lucas1980

PostWoke wrote: »
    Surprised people can even specifically pre-order the new unit. I guess retailers got enough calls about it and are making the different SKU a specific entry. They would want to hope they can quietly shift their existing units to parents at Christmas time. Smyths shelves are stacked with OG's and they said they want those gone first before selling the new ones, at least that's what a clerk told me, dunno if that is the reality.

I was hoping to buy the new version at Smyths in that bundle offer for €350 + a game (current offer for the old version). I am a parent and IMHO Christmas is too far away. With that strategy other stores will be selling the new version and they will be stuck with the old models. If it is not available by the end of the month I will buy it somewhere else.

That offer from Amazon.co.uk is pretty good price. Does anyone knows if there is any downside buying the UK version?

lucas1980 wrote: »
    I was hoping to buy the new version at Smyths in that bundle offer for €350 + a game (current offer for the old version). I am a parent and IMHO Christmas is too far away. With that strategy other stores will be selling the new version and they will be stuck with the old models. If it is not available by the end of the month I will buy it somewhere else.

That offer from Amazon.co.uk is pretty good price. Does anyone knows if there is any downside buying the UK version?

I mean parents who have no idea about this stuff. ;)

tbh you can expect all deals running in Smyths to vanish when the new unit comes out. A standalone Switch right now is only 300, 20/30 off RRP. I would be amazed if anyone got a red box for that. Plus Gamestop are reportedly done, closing shop soonish, so they have less need to compete this Christmas. Or maybe more, if Gamestop go in to liquidation mode during this time. For the first time ever I saw a poster in their Henry Street window looking for store staff, despite the fact corporate has slashed half of corporate and district manager staff. Something strange is going on with Gamestop atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

lucas1980 wrote: »
    Does anyone knows if there is any downside buying the UK version?

There are none. Plus you get the much renowned Amazon gold standard customer care to give you peace of mind....instead of the 'against statutory rights' approach of Smyths which is "30 days warranty with us, then after that you have to deal with Nintendo" bs. I'd go Amazon all day long, especially now with the favorable exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If someone wanted to buy the old model, the old model which stuff can be done to it (hint hint) how would one know?

Is it a certain bundle or model number or?

If someone wanted to buy the old model, the old model which stuff can be done to it (hint hint) how would one know?

Fairly sure those were hardware patched a while ago & haven't been on shelves in a while?

Inviere wrote: »
    Fairly sure those were hardware patched a while ago & haven't been on shelves in a while?

Balls.

Balls.

You'll get one on Adverts and the like though, but be prepared to pay close to retail for one. Don't buy from anyone with poor/negative feedback though, you'll want a well looked after example.

The model number would tell you I'm sure, I got mine at launch so I presume it has a different number to the new ones coming out this week.

"Alternatively, the updated Switch with the better battery may go by the model number HAC-001(-01). The original Switch model number is simply HAC-001."

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/13/20803700/nintendo-switch-new-model-number-release-date-battery-how-to-find-guide

I would wait for a new exploit for custom firmware/homebrew/emulators. It's only a matter of time until a more convenient one arrives. Too much to be enjoying on the Switch right now that requires internet activity, it's not the time IMO. I leave hacking my devices till the end of the device's life cycle. Hacking a device in its prime isn't worth it IMO, it's a ballache to get things working because the exploits are at such an early stage, and you lose online access these days. Not worth it to lose F2P titles like Warframe, Fortnite, Paladins, or online games like Splatoon 2 and Rocket League, not to mention the online service just added some very decent SNES games if you want your retro fix. Third party sales are also decent. CFW is a poor value proposition right now. Would be different if they didn't run sweeps for CFW machines.

Cheers guys.
    I get what you're saying PostWoke too. But from the sounds of it the newer Switch seems to just stop any modication that was possible in the older model. Guess they learned their lessons.

Hmm. Would be hard to get a look at the box to check for a serial in certain shops. Argos is a no go. GameStop just pull a fresh box out the back. Same goes for Smyths. Maybe online is the way to go.

Cheers guys.
    I get what you're saying PostWoke too. But from the sounds of it the newer Switch seems to just stop any modication that was possible in the older model. Guess they learned their lessons.

Hmm. Would be hard to get a look at the box to check for a serial in certain shops. Argos is a no go. GameStop just pull a fresh box out the back. Same goes for Smyths. Maybe online is the way to go.

Gamestop and Smyths staff might be okay to chat with to ask. They are used to unusual requests around games eg. "can I get this Mario game for my sons PS4?" etc.

Gamestop and Smyths staff might be okay to chat with to ask. They are used to unusual requests around games eg. "can I get this Mario game for my sons PS4?" etc.

True.
    Even if they know what my intentions are who cares as I would be looking to buy it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I mean parents who have no idea about this stuff. ;)

tbh you can expect all deals running in Smyths to vanish when the new unit comes out. A standalone Switch right now is only 300, 20/30 off RRP. I would be amazed if anyone got a red box for that. Plus Gamestop are reportedly done, closing shop soonish, so they have less need to compete this Christmas. Or maybe more, if Gamestop go in to liquidation mode during this time. For the first time ever I saw a poster in their Henry Street window looking for store staff, despite the fact corporate has slashed half of corporate and district manager staff. Something strange is going on with Gamestop atm.

That's all in the US not Europe.

Cheers guys.

Serials aren't going to help you even if you can see them, Switch packaging has never worked that way. You will need to resort to second hand online markets. It's not only the new revision that is hack-proof, it is all models going back about a year as well.

Serials aren't going to help you even if you can see them, Switch packaging has never worked that way. You will need to resort to second hand online markets. It's not only the new revision that is hack-proof, it is all models going back about a year as well.

Balls.
    Was doing my homework and so many people said you can see the serial on the outside box.

I would wait for a new exploit for custom firmware/homebrew/emulators. It's only a matter of time until a more convenient one arrives. Too much to be enjoying on the Switch right now that requires internet activity, it's not the time IMO. I leave hacking my devices till the end of the device's life cycle. Hacking a device in its prime isn't worth it IMO, it's a ballache to get things working because the exploits are at such an early stage, and you lose online access these days. Not worth it to lose F2P titles like Warframe, Fortnite, Paladins, or online games like Splatoon 2 and Rocket League, not to mention the online service just added some very decent SNES games if you want your retro fix. Third party sales are also decent. CFW is a poor value proposition right now. Would be different if they didn't run sweeps for CFW machines.

Not everyone likes online gaming though, and I'd be one of them. I do accept it a big draw for many, but I prefer single player, offline games with a solid story. Re the exploits being a ballache, where did that idea come from? It's done in seconds. I know the retro games added to Switch recently have online play and leaderboards etc, but the selection is laughable compared to something like the Wii's Virtual Console, truly laughable at this stage. A modded Switch has access to entire libraries of retro systems, so that's very debatable whether you're better off online or not for retro gaming.

I feel strongly about modded consoles just not belonging online, so Nintendo has got that part right - either use your Switch as intended and enjoy online, or mod your Switch, do what you will, but stay offline. I don't think its fair that people who pirate games, get to play online with people who've paid for their games, so there should be a divide.

Apart from the obvious 'benefits' of a modded Switch, which, lets face it the majority use for piracy (I don't consider it a benefit, I do prefer to support devs, but let's not beat around the bush on the point...it happens). There's a growing list of reasons why hacking your Switch is a benefit to many people, and there's new stuff coming out fairly regularly (dual booting Android OS, streaming PC games to Switch, RetroArch, fan translations, game mods, the list goes on). I don't regret doing it, I don't use my Switch a lot, but even if I did, online would have zero appeal to me.

Regards waiting for a new exploit, here's some wise words from SciresM, a very well known hacker in the Switch scene...
    It will surprise me if we manage to hack Mariko. Our hacking Mariko is not something that I’d expect. I expect that we will glitch it and get the keys but I am not expecting for users to have the ability to run Atmosphere on Mariko. If we can, that would be awesome, but I don’t think we will.”

It probably will happen, I'm sure it will, but as to when that'll be, that's anyone's guess really....the message above suggests not to hold one's breath though...

Source

That's true, it's not just the new model that is hardware patched...retail units have been hardware patched for a good while now. I highly doubt you'd find a Switch that's vulnerable to hacking on the shelves today. As I said above, you'd really need to look at the used market. When the original exploit came out it was claimed that Nintendo couldn't patch it in software, but many people read that as Nintendo couldn't patch it, full stop. There was a hardware revision about a year ago that patched the RCM hack, and otherwise had no changes.

Don't worry, I have no faith in nVidia, they'll cock something up again soon, it's just a waiting game.

A cart solution of some kind would be best, turn on airplane mode, stick it an and enjoy retroarch or whatever, but Nintendo read exactly what we read, you can be sure they have staff that visit gbatemp daily, so its' getting harder for these exploit groups to outsmart them.

Don't worry, I have no faith in nVidia, they'll cock something up again soon, it's just a waiting game.

A cart solution of some kind would be best, turn on airplane mode, stick it an and enjoy retroarch or whatever, but Nintendo read exactly what we read, you can be sure they have staff that visit gbatemp daily, so its' getting harder for these exploit groups to outsmart them.

Truthfully I'm glad they've got a handle on it. The Switch was hacked waaaaaay too early in its life, and we seen how that affected the DS etc. Nintendo deserve to enjoy the fruits of their success with this one, even if it was a monumental cock up to use off the shelf-well documented components for its design...the RCM bug isn't even a bug, it's a documented feature of the X1 :rolleyes:

I am also glad. There's so much to be enjoyed for free or very reasonable on the device. Smyths drops physical prices very quickly. They really pulled off the concept with the Switch, and its' too early in it's lifecycle for shenanigans. There's bundles around too, with discounted games and even free 35 euro eshop vouchers. It's not a reasonable ask at the moment, frankly. If you desperately need to play your rips on the go, get a vita on 3.71 or lower. Otherwise it's very easy to manage, even with Nintendo famously keeping their games at RRP. I wonder if we'll see a budget line soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Assuming no-one has heard from Gamestop today on the new Switch?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They said last week it wont be available until the 13th didn't they?

• Advertisement

Nope, nothing yet. I've double-checked that they have my number right on their system too so I guess no delivery. They are still set on the 13th on the website so hopefully that will stay true.

Advertisement