Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issue with plumbing fittings

Options
  • 17-07-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

The plumbing fittings are by rtec (Not the real name). They have failed a number of times and caused leaks and all have to be replaced. I tried to find the manufacturer and have established that they are made in the far east. The product rtec brand is owned and distributed by a Irish company. They wont take any responsibility as they say they took only took over the rtec brand in 2013. They are saying other people owned the brand previously. I asked multiple times how long is the warranty on the fittings. They also tried to blame the pipes. Question if another person takes over a brand does that void the warranty on a product? I have no details of the previous owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's the person who sold you the goods that has the responsibility in consumer law, there is no point in chasing the Irish distributor.

Were the fittings purchased by you from a retail supplier or did you buy them as part of an installation package i.e. you paid someone to 'supply and install' the kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

What kind of fittings are they. Can you throw up a few pictures.

emeldc wrote: »
    What kind of fittings are they. Can you throw up a few pictures.

This isn't the plumbing forum. OP's fittings are leaking, that's all we need to know. We don't need photos of his bathroom to discuss the consumer issues involved.

He's enquiring about whether he has a warranty or not and if he does, who has the responsibility to honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they're pre-2013 your statutory rights have expired basically. Presumably they were sold with some longer-term or "lifetime" warranty? You'll need to get the paperwork for that to see who provided it.

If you've no paperwork and the fittings are that old... going to have to bear the replacement cost yourself realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

My plumber was contracted to supply and fit. The plumbing providers has gone out of business as I recall him dealing with a specific provide at the time. Hense why I was looking for the manufactures details and I understand the distributed contracts a firm in the Far East to manufacture the products and then distributes in Ireland. The specific fittings are itec branded and that what is failing . I would of presumed the manufacturer/ distributer would bare some responsibility. Technically these fittings are faulty so they will need replacing

• Advertisement

P2C wrote: »
    My plumber was contracted to supply and fit.

In relation to faulty goods, the 'supply' part of that arrangement is what matters under consumer law. You purchased the fittings from the plumber so if they are faulty, you have to pursue him.

Moving on to the 'fit' part of the arrangement..... if the leaks are as a result of poor workmanship, that is also an issue between you and the plumber.

So one way or another, you have to chase the plumber, not the manufacturer or the Irish distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

coylemj wrote: »
    This isn't the plumbing forum. OP's fittings are leaking, that's all we need to know. We don't need photos of his bathroom to discuss the consumer issues involved.

He's enquiring about whether he has a warranty or not and if he does, who has the responsibility to honour it.

Wind your neck in. Maybe there is no consumer issue. For all we know they may have been fitted by a cowboy plumber. A few pictures can tell a lot but crack on, continue to speculate on whether there's a warranty or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

How old is the product?
    Unless a parts manufacturer states otherwise, a supplier will usually only provide a one year warranty.
    Supply and fit may only be a year or two, I think in some aspects of building it may go to five, but that's it. You can't expect to be able to hold the installer responsible indefinitely.
    If its over 10 years ago you are not going to have any luck whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think you need to first review the contract with the plumber.
    Did the contract specify the brand of fittings to be fitted?
    If so, then it is not so clear cut, if indeed the products are faulty.
    A different issue if they were not fitted properly.
    Ultimately the issue is between the parties to the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

P2C wrote:
    My plumber was contracted to supply and fit. The plumbing providers has gone out of business as I recall him dealing with a specific provide at the time. Hense why I was looking for the manufactures details and I understand the distributed contracts a firm in the Far East to manufacture the products and then distributes in Ireland. The specific fittings are itec branded and that what is failing . I would of presumed the manufacturer/ distributer would bare some responsibility. Technically these fittings are faulty so they will need replacing

You say that the agents changed in 2013 but you don't say when you got the job done? If the answer is pre 2013 then you don't have any case or rights. Any "lifetime" promise was made by the manufacturer & not your plumber. Even many of the leading brands say 10 years but they have to be used according to the manufacturer instructions.

If the job was done in the last few years then you can bring your plumber to the small claims court

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the reply’s much appreciated. The plumbing was done by a very reputable plumber and have no issue with his work or have had any issues over 25 years. He has plumbed extensively for my family. I am not sure I would chase him for a manufactures defect. Although I have no doubt he will do the labor for nothing. The house was newly built in 2011 and my issue is I am
    now going to have to replace all of these fittings from the itec brand because they keep failing. I don’t want to come home some day with a flood in the house. I don’t think you should have to replace plumbing fittings after 8 years and some were failing after five years. I could find no detail but I could on rival brands such as tectite (irish company) who show and clearly advertise a 25 year warranty. Anyway this is life. Move on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks for all the reply’s much appreciated. The plumbing was done by a very reputable plumber and have no issue with his work or have had any issues over 25 years. He has plumbed extensively for my family. I am not sure I would chase him for a manufactures defect. Although I have no doubt he will do the labor for nothing. The house was newly built in 2011 and my issue is I am
    now going to have to replace all of these fittings from the itec brand because they keep failing. I don’t want to come home some day with a flood in the house. I don’t think you should have to replace plumbing fittings after 8 years and some were failing after five years. I could find no detail but I could on rival brands such as tectite (irish company) who show and clearly advertise a 25 year warranty. Anyway this is life. Move on

As a plumber, I’d be interested to see these dodgy fittings. Would you mind posting a picture, so I know what to avoid in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're push-fit fittings. These have apparent rated lifespans, always vastly below what compression fittings or brazed fittings have. You seem to have been very unlucky but they're going to fail at some point and I wouldn't have them in my house at all as a result.

I've a feeling that push-fits failing is going to be the house damage scandal of the day in a few years time - they became common in the late 1990s and 25 year life is normal enough.

I agree with your last post on a major issue to come. I have had five fail since 2015. My ones are all leaking in the area of the hot water tank upstairs, solar panels etc. I say about 30 ish fittings in that area. I thankfully have more traditional fittings on the manifolds and rads. I have had a neighbor who had to pull up floors etc. Lucky I was in the house when I have had the leaks. I am paranoid now about future ones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve replaced a number of these myself over the years, not sure about brands but certainly fitted originally by different plumbers, mostly fitted to under counter sinks/dishwashers/electric water heaters, none to rads where water pressure may be lower than mains.

I agree with your last post on a major issue to come. I have had five fail since 2015. My ones are all leaking in the area of the hot water tank upstairs, solar panels etc. I say about 30 ish fittings in that area. I thankfully have more traditional fittings on the manifolds and rads. I have had a neighbor who had to pull up floors etc. Lucky I was in the house when I have had the leaks. I am paranoid now about future ones

Unusual that tectite leaked. They’re not supposed to be fitted near the hot draw off point of a cylinder/boiler and certainly not on solar

No the tectite did not leak it was the itec

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Unusual that tectite leaked. They’re not supposed to be fitted near the hot draw off point of a cylinder/boiler and certainly not on solar

No the tectite did not leak it was the itec

Have you any pictures of the itec?

Edit. I see the pics. Those are identical to tectite. I’d imagine the same rules apply to itec though. We’re they used on solar or close to the cylinder/boiler?

Only one fitting direct to the top of cylinder. The rest are on the network of pipes. They are identical looking to tectite looks like Chinese copies. Not sure where tectite are manufactured. They both carry certs. I added a picture

Have you any pictures of the itec?

Edit. I see the pics. Those are identical to tectite. I’d imagine the same rules apply to itec though. We’re they used on solar or close to the cylinder/boiler?

Is the positioning on cylinder etc specified on the product or is this info from your own experience? I have a couple of tectite t’s , one on top of the cylinder. No signs of any leaks. Installed end of 2008. Should I be concerned?
    TIA

Mods: maybe more appropriate in the plumbing & heating forum ...

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote:
    Is the positioning on cylinder etc specified on the product or is this info from your own experience? I have a couple of tectite t’s , one on top of the cylinder. No signs of any leaks. Installed end of 2008. Should I be concerned? TIA

They will be fine until the thermostat on the immersion fails. When it fails the water will exceed the maximum temperature specified by the manufacturer. The same goes for Qualpex pipe.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They will be fine until the thermostat on the immersion fails. When it fails the water will exceed the maximum temperature specified by the manufacturer. The same goes for Qualpex pipe.

Thanks for that Sleeper.. only use immersion occasionally but I will need to get sorted out.
    Could potentially happen with boiler too, but less likely, I expect.
    Cerco

Cerco wrote:
    Thanks for that Sleeper.. only use immersion occasionally but I will need to get sorted out. Could potentially happen with boiler too, but less likely, I expect. Cerco

My comment was more tongue in cheek but in the short term you should be OK. Long term replacing the fittings is the best way forward

Advertisement