Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a laptop for Masters student

Options
  • 17-07-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to buy a new laptop in the next few weeks. I will need it mostly for the internet, watching webinars and typing up essays/coursework/thesis etc.

Ideally I would like to spend no more than €450. I have a subscription for windows office on my old laptop so I won’t need to purchase that as I can have it on a number of devices.

Finally, would I be mad to consider getting a 14 inch screen? Is it much harder to type things up etc on the smaller laptops? I have never seen one in the flesh.

Thanks

Olivia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What college / institution will you be with?
    See if they have any deals with PC shops.

As you're a student, check if you can get student discount.
    I think Dell do 20% off?

I'm sure the more tech minded will guide you, but sounds like you need just a basic laptop.
    A budget of €450 is more than enough and if you are really watching the pennies (you're a student now!) you could get something for a lot less.

Any reason you need to replace your old one?
    If it's for more power / storage / style etc... maybe let us know here to give options.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks for the replies so far. The laptop I have is a HP elitebook 8540P. It weighs a tonne and it’s old enough. I’d say maybe 2010. I got it from my old employer. It was a wiped laptop that wasn’t being used anymore by my employer. I will need to bring the laptop to lectures/teaching practice etc so I would prefer something lighter.

Advertisement