Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Benedict wrote: »
    Just because they're "allowed" to put them into apartments, doesn't mean they will install them? They can't because they can't figure out how to do it!

Don't forget there are many homes which were willing to accept meters but IW eventually got fed up installing them and just decided to stop! These home-owners were out at their front gates saying "Give us a meter" and IW said "Sorry, we're not installing them any more".

IW went home in a sulk. The whole thing is mad!

There are crews the lenght & breath of the country installing meters for those that request a meter as well as replacing / upgrading fire hydrants and identifying / repairing leaks on domestic properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think the first fix sheme is a great service. The customers that have leaks on their property do as well. Especially if the leak is near the boundary wall of their houses which a large majority of them are, at the point of entry.

In this instance, it is not their property.

The "customer" for the first fix scheme is the local authority.

If it is a struggle to fix their properties then we might as well give up.

Boggles wrote: »
    In this instance, it is not their property.

The "customer" for the first fix scheme is the local authority.

If it is a struggle to fix their properties then we might as well give up.

It won't be a struggle. But not everything is straight forward. People & certain situations can make things more difficult. It's pretty much the same in every job.

There are crews the lenght & breath of the country installing meters for those that request a meter as well as replacing / upgrading fire hydrants and identifying / repairing leaks on domestic properties.

It was my understanding domestic metering was suspended completely?

It won't be a struggle. But not everything is straight forward. People & certain situations can make things more difficult. It's pretty much the same in every job.

A Local Authority house would be far more straight forward than an awkward private dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    New legislation is being brought in which will allow Irish Water to install meters in apartments. Not sure how that works.

Really? Have you a link for that? Don't see why they would need legislation.

Did the regulator not tell Irish Water to cease metering and make it voluntary as it was costing too much and taking needed revenue away from fixing the actual problems?

Was this ignored?
    If you Google 'Water meter apartments ' it will bring you to the Irish Water website which refers to the legislation.
    The utilities regulator has approved the proposal for charging for excessive usage so that is probably why there is no issue with metering apartments

It was my understanding domestic metering was suspended completely?

There are plenty of people requesting that they have a metered supply installed. Especially those that are on shared supply as in one meter measuring the water consumption for several different dwellings / properties.

You'd be surprised how many people monitor their own water usuage via the meter. As they don't want water being wasted via leaks etc.

Like I said before if there are no plumbing issues in your house and there is no leak between the boundary box and the point of entry well then you'd have absolutely nothing to worry about re: charges.

Internal plumbing issues / external leaks between the boundary box and the point of entry will be flagged pretty much at a drop of a hat via what's called a CFA (constant flow alarm) Customers will be contacted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    New legislation is being brought in which will allow Irish Water to install meters in apartments. Not sure how that works.

Internal meters can be attached to the mains / pipe that supplies the cold water tap.

Many commercial businesses have internal water meters.
    Yeah, I imagine that they will only install individual meters for apartments where a bulkmeter shows serious usage in the apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In the words of Conor McGregor 'you'll do nothin'.

How do you come to that conclusion, at a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How do you come to that conclusion, at a matter of interest?

The lack of protest around the majority of austerity measures imposed, you march against the water charges B or did you take to Social Media and sneer the protesters as many did?

• Advertisement

The lack of protest around the majority of austerity measures imposed, you march against the water charges B or did you take to Social Media and sneer the protesters as many did?

There are more ways to tackle issues than by ‘marching’ my friend.

What ‘austerity measures’ do you feel we’re not adequately opposed as a matter of interest?

True, non payment was infinitely far more effective.
    What ‘austerity measures’ do you feel we’re not adequately opposed as a matter of interest?
    The only measure I saw that was opposed was the household charge. I don't remember any other protests maybe you could enlighten if I'm incorrect. It seems to me middle Ireland just rolled over as they will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The main reason for the water charge protests from a few years ago was the blatant corruption and cronyism that was going on. People were not going to pay for that.

It was never about paying for water for the majority of the protesters most of whom would have no issue paying for usage. I was proud that day over 100,000 people walked through the city centre.

Hmmm, so how come the protests stopped once having to pay for water stopped? Did the "blatant corruption and cronyism" stop once bills were not longer being issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ah, good. That's okay I already do. I thought they were looking for money for something I already pay for. Phew.

Where do you think the money for replacing the water pipes should come from?

A Local Authority house would be far more straight forward than an awkward private dwelling.

Doesn't make a difference really if the occupier makes threats as into what will be done to you if set foot inside the boundary wall. Like I said that was the only time that has ever happened me in approx 2000 jobs to date. People are always polite and helpful. Partuculary the farming community as they are actually paying for what they use / flows through their metered feed.

Put Ireland's water is owned by the people of Ireland, and will never be privatised in the Constitution, then I'll pay.

Until then, not a penny.

You'd imagine that would be a high priority given it was one of the key recommendations of the Water Committee back in 2017.

For some reason though Fine Gael decided that our Blasphemy laws needed amending before it.

Strange one.

Doesn't make a difference really if the occupier makes threats as into what will be done to you if set foot inside the boundary wall. Like I said that was the only time that has ever happened me in approx 2000 jobs to date. People are always polite and helpful. Partuculary the farming community as they are actually paying for what they use.

The farming community are a commercial enterprise just like any other for profit business.

The farming community are a commercial enterprise just like any other for profit business.

Your're a wealth of knowedge again today.

The only measure I saw that was opposed was the household charge. I don't remember any other protests maybe you could enlighten if I'm incorrect. It seems to me middle Ireland just rolled over as they will again.

I was wondering what other “austerity measures” did you think should have been opposed.

Sorry if I was unclear on that.

Your're a wealth of knowedge again today.

Almost as relevant as your comment yesterday. Farmers are a business or do you disagree with one sector paying commercial charges. Which are an allowable business expense.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make a difference really if the occupier makes threats as into what will be done to you if set foot inside the boundary wall.

In terms of getting it fixed, of course it does.

IF the property is owned by the local authority, they have the legal right to fix it.

IF the property is owned privately and that person won't let Irish Water in, then that is in all likely hood have to go to court, therefore far more awkward.

Sorry if I was unclear on that.

I answered what you asked, no point reframing the question if you didn't like my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

The fact remains that if you are one of the following IW customers: (1) Protestor who wouldn't allow installation (2) No meter because they stopped installing before they got to you (3) Live in an apartment complex.

None of the above 3 categories will have a quota imposed.

All other categories will have a quota imposed on penalty of a fine or jail if you don't pay the fine.

This is unfair and legally unsustainable and will be challenged in the courts.

It discriminates against one section of the community in favour of another section which will benefit at their expense.

IW are wasting time and money on this plan because it cannot succeed.

I answered what you asked, no point reframing the question if you didn't like my reply.

I afraid you didn’t, but if you can’t name any that’s fair enough

Benedict wrote: »
    The fact remains that if you are one of the following IW customers: (1) Protestor who wouldn't allow installation (2) No meter because they stopped installing before they got to you (3) Live in an apartment complex.

None of the above 3 categories will have a quota imposed.

All other categories will have a quota imposed on penalty of a fine or jail if you don't pay the fine.

This is unfair and legally unsustainable and will be challenged in the courts.

It discriminates against one section of the community in favour of another section which will benefit at their expense.

IW are wasting time and money on this plan because it cannot succeed.

Yes indeed Mr B, like we said, this one in its present state will…not…run.

As Alex Ferguson used to say.”.make no mistake aboot thaa”

I afraid you didn’t, but if you can’t name any that’s fair enough

I answered to what I felt you asked, not my fault if you wish to revisit my answer and revise your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Household charge was opposed until it was handed to revenue. Then the people who claimed they'd never pay, would go to prison etc did pay

Same will happen if water charges are reintroduced. There'll be noise until there's actual consequences of not paying. Then people will pay

If it really was a "protest" that "enough was enough" then people also would have stopped paying motor tax etc.

Irony was that most people I know who complained "I already pay for water" are huge net benefactors of the state

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Household charge was opposed until it was handed to revenue. Then the people who claimed they'd never pay, would go to prison etc did pay

Same will happen if water charges are reintroduced. There'll be noise until there's actual consequences of not paying. Then people will pay

If it really was a "protest" that "enough was enough" then people also would have stopped paying motor tax etc.

Irony was that most people I know who complained "I already pay for water" are huge net benefactors of the state

Revenue have all ready stated they will not touch "utilities". Why would they?

Irish Water have an agreed funding model going forward.

Charges are not coming back for the foreseeable and if they do it won't have anything to do with Revenue.

The stick of charging for excess is based on conservation and not revenue raising, but is probably unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Revenue have all ready stated they will not touch "utilities". Why would they?

Irish Water have an agreed funding model going forward.

Charges are not coming back for the foreseeable and if they do it won't have anything to do with Revenue.

I never said Revenue would - I said *if* charges are reintroduced there will be consequences of non-payment and people will pay.

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote:
    I never said Revenue would - I said *if* charges are reintroduced there will be consequences of non-payment and people will pay.

What consequences?

Advertisement