Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I never said Revenue would - I said *if* charges are reintroduced there will be consequences of non-payment and people will pay.

Sure there was "consequences" the last time, fines and imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Boggles wrote: »
    Sure there was "consequences" the last time, fines and imprisonment.

Nope, zero consequences

What consequences?

Reduced water pressure maybe?

Fines that will actually be collected

*if* charges are reintroduced the government will not just adopt the former "shur pay of you like" attitude. There will be measures to ensure the actual cash is collected

And people will pay. It may not be this year or the next but water charges of some form will be reintroduced in the future IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fanny **** wrote:
    And people will pay.

Heard that before, how'd it work out? Also heard the one about water down to a trickle. Political suicide tbh or the clown suggesting it would have to be shipped off somewhere, maybe Europe. ;-)

Reduced water pressure maybe?

Fines that will actually be collected

*if* charges are reintroduced the government will not just adopt the former "shur pay of you like" attitude. There will be measures to ensure the actual cash is collected

And people will pay.

Brave government who will try reintroduce that Ghost.

• Advertisement

Heard that before, how'd it work out?

It didn't because there were zero consequences of not paying

As soon as there are all the heroes who pay their motor tax etc and didn't pay property tax til revenue took charge will

You don't appear to be reading my posts

To summarise my opinion is:

- government introducted water charges. There was no punishment for not paying. People didn't bother. A lot dressed it up as an ideological reason - I don't believe this to be the case (as I've already posted)
    - *If* they are reintroduced I believe the government of the time will have enforceable penalties for non payment. Similarly to property tax - people will pay

By all means disagree

It didn't because there were zero consequences of not paying

As soon as there are all the heroes who pay their motor tax etc and didn't pay property tax til revenue took charge will

You don't appear to be reading my posts

To summarise my opinion is:

- government introducted water charges. There was no punishment for not paying. People didn't bother. A lot dressed it up as an ideological reason - I don't believe this to be the case (as I've already posted)
    - *If* they are reintroduced I believe the government of the time will have enforceable penalties for non payment. Similarly to property tax - people will pay

By all means disagree

groundhog-day-driving.jpg

Fanny **** wrote:

Which makes you wonder why FG/Lab never handed collection to Revenue, any thoughts as to why?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they want to treat it as a tax and be collected by Revenue, they can't have Irish Water even as a semi-state.

Remember one of the main reasons FG went with the company structure originally, it was an attempt to pass EU Market Capitalization tests and so could borrow money in its own name and it's debts would not appear on the government's balance sheet (and it would then provide government with more fiscal space when it comes to debt-GDP ratios and deficits). To pass EU Market Capitalization tests, I think it has to have a majority revenue stream outside government subsidy (and tax would count as government funds).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Tell me why is it that our water network is red rotten today then?

Simple question...

Under funded for decades. This is a government, cross party, LA and Irish Water accepted fact. It was all the LA's could do to maintain it. No money to over haul and no plans to do so. IW praised the LA's for their work 'despite decades of under funding'. This is accepted, common knowledge, I thought.

As for why it's still like that? Because FG/Lab lied and said they'd over haul the system before getting into home metering, when in fact they lost interest because home metering wasn't popular and there was no (more) money to be made for Dinny and the FG cronies. I believe it's happening albeit slowly now.

• Advertisement

Contractors have numbers & targets to hit when it comes to leak reduction. That's something the CC's / LA's never had to worry about.

Questions will have to answered every Friday if there isn't a certain amount of jobs closed out or completed.

The leaks are there we all know that, IW want the contractors to do what they are being paid for and that's identify & repair them.

You are very misinformed. I've a feeling you're guessing and making things up because you didn't get that information from reality.
    The LA's have been using contractors for all works for decades. The tenders come in, they are vetted, a contractor wins the contract. If they don't deliver they don't get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I'll explain the irony of your comment.

Water maintenance and supply was/is funded through general taxation. However, the service was let go so crappy, (see where this is going?) rather than tackling it they created a quango with crony appointments and a still under investigation Sitserv deal.

IW is FG/Lab's answer to how to deal with...are you ready?.....a crappy public service our taxes pay for.

It's 'the fix' people have issue with, not improving poor service.

The 'fix' as you call it is paying for water as a Utility, like every other western nation on earth. But we Irish seems to have a different way about it.

On one hand, you give out about crappy services but refuse the reform or the tax needed to fund said services.

You have been well and truly found out for your doublespeak.

Under funded for decades. .

Hence why we should fund water services as they do in every other mature nation. Pay for its use.

markodaly wrote: »
    The 'fix' as you call it is paying for water as a Utility, like every other western nation on earth. But we Irish seems to have a different way about it.
    On one hand, you give out about crappy services but refuse the reform or the tax needed to fund said services.

Well other nations seem to be able to set up efficient & competent utility providers, so not so surprising they have the public support of their citizens who can see where their tax or bills are going.

FG had a chance here to do that and they blew it, making numerous unforced own goals because their primartuy focus wasn't on delivering a competent efficient utility provider and improved water services infrastructure, it was all about the financial side of it (see
    EU Market Capitalization).

That has now poisoned the well for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Household charge was opposed until it was handed to revenue. Then the people who claimed they'd never pay, would go to prison etc did pay

Same will happen if water charges are reintroduced. There'll be noise until there's actual consequences of not paying. Then people will pay

If it really was a "protest" that "enough was enough" then people also would have stopped paying motor tax etc.

Irony was that most people I know who complained "I already pay for water" are huge net benefactors of the state

That's the whole point - if the excessive-use charge is unfair, Revenue won't take it on. A charge that targets half the people in Ireland and turns a blind eye to the other half is a joke. So Revenue wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There are plenty of anomalies in the Irish system of charges and taxes. VRT is a tax that seems has no comparison in many other countries. Just because everyone else in Europe pays a different way from Irish people for water does not mean we dont pay.

If only it were that simple.

This is my "favorite" one from the past couple of years.
    Comptroller and Auditor General Seamus McCarthy found that the Department of Children squandered €16m renting new headquarters it left empty for almost a year and a half because staff were squabbling over the layout of the accommodation.

Of course that pales in comparison to the "conservation grant". How many examples do you need?

But you see Mark, when you talk of services and funding in other Countries and compare them to Ireland, you have to divide it by the acting the bollix factor.

You are not getting a balanced view if you don't.

No it's the crony appointments, questionable sweet deal of Siteserv still under investigation. That's the fix I'm talking about. How did you not get that? I laid it out in the post you quoted. Did you not read it?
    Hence why we should fund water services as they do in every other mature nation. Pay for its use.

Once again you are gone a ways from the context to drive home your own agenda. The poster asked why it was in such a bad state. I explained. Seriously read before you quote. If you want to make your own point no need to quote mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I answered to what I felt you asked, not my fault if you wish to revisit my answer and revise your question.

Not correct, the question is as quoted same as the original, listen, no big deal, we all make mistakes, be better if a person bigs up and stops digging though.

I have much more respect for that kind of approach.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If they want to treat it as a tax and be collected by Revenue, they can't have Irish Water even as a semi-state.

Remember one of the main reasons FG went with the company structure originally, it was an attempt to pass EU Market Capitalization tests and so could borrow money in its own name and it's debts would not appear on the government's balance sheet (and it would then provide government with more fiscal space when it comes to debt-GDP ratios and deficits). To pass EU Market Capitalization tests, I think it has to have a majority revenue stream outside government subsidy (and tax would count as government funds).

Correct.

• Advertisement

MacDanger wrote: »
    Where do you think the money for replacing the water pipes should come from?

Taxation.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Can you imagine what would have happened if it were given free reign borrowing on the open market?

Absolute carnage.

Not correct, the question is as quoted same as the original, listen, no big deal, we all make mistakes, be better if a person bigs up and stops digging though.

B throwing a hissy fit because you didn't get the answer you wanted is a bit immature. You do realise no one myself included is under any obligation to respond in the manner you wish to dictate. Welcome to life.

Taxation.

And commercial water rates, which everyone seems to be forgetting about but which is still collected by Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And who arrives on after only Paul Murphy, he must be nearly creaming himself that his favourite subject is back in the news.
    Murphy &Ruth Coppinger are too busy protesting against Clare Dalys jobs for the boys carry on! (NOT!)

B throwing a hissy fit because you didn't get the answer you wanted is a bit immature. You do realise no one myself included is under any obligation to respond in the manner you wish to dictate. Welcome to life.

I didn’t throw any hissy fit.

If you can’t answer the question, I’ll say it again, that’s fine.

You need to stop digging.

If you can’t answer the question, I’ll say it again, that’s fine.

I did answer just not to your liking. You need it grow up a d move on.

Boggles wrote: »
    If only it were that simple.

Other countries also waste money. I know, that might be surprising to hear, but that should not detract from the fundamental point that water is a utility and should be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Taxation.

Taxation only taxes the decent people who work and contribute tax.

In fairness, property tax and water tax are trying to "tax" everyone equally and avoid directly dropping the generous social welfare payments.

• Advertisement

Taxation only taxes the decent people who work and contribute tax.

Everyone pays tax, income tax is not the only form of tax we pay.

Advertisement