Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Here you go. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/qa-households-who-use-too-much-water-are-facing-fines--heres-everything-you-need-to-know-937670.html

“What if I don't have a meter? How will they measure my use?

Irish Water says that 55% of domestic premises are metered. Through the analysis of water balances, leak alarms and other means, Irish Water says they can identify areas where there appears to be excess use.

If an area is identified, a leakage and pressure investigation crew will be dispatched to measure supply at different points. This investigation crew can then determine the households that may have excess use.

And if I still don't have a meter?

Irish Water will offer you one. If your property can't be metered, a flow monitoring device will be connected to the service pipe to monitor usage and determine if the household has excess use.”

Would a flow measuring device also be known as a meter and if not why not?
    You genuinely seem to believe every press release IW has issued todate. Your total acceptance of what they say is touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Here you go. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/qa-households-who-use-too-much-water-are-facing-fines--heres-everything-you-need-to-know-937670.html

Irish Water says that 55% of domestic premises are metered. Through the analysis of water balances, leak alarms and other means, Irish Water says they can identify areas where there appears to be excess use.

If an area is identified, a leakage and pressure investigation crew will be dispatched to measure supply at different points. This investigation crew can then determine the households that may have excess use.

Irish Water will offer you one. If your property can't be metered, a flow monitoring device will be connected to the service pipe to monitor usage and determine if the household has excess use.”

IW sure are definite, and precise in their statements about this potential debacle.

Those with meters already installed will not tolerate this fudge. I will be one of them. Aux Barricades!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

I think we all know what IW have "said". But now let's return to the real world. If IW feel that Estate X is using too much, how do you suppose that they will know which home or homes are using too much? "Through the analysis of water balances, leak alarms and other means" - what does that mean? Even if they creep up and look in your kitchen window using a periscope and establish that a tap has been left running, that won't prove the tap is running every day?

It's no use quoting IW. Just tell us how YOU think they'll find out that No 157 is guilty of using too much per annum and how much over the quota they are using.

We're listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Lads does anyone think middle Ireland won't be stiffed again?

I think I'm hearing it in my sleep at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Lads does anything think middle Ireland won't be stiffed again?

I think I'm hearing it in my sleep at this stage

I do.

Let me reassure you.

Middle Ireland won’t be stiffed again.

Stiffed once...will not be stiffed twice

Codhladh samh a chara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fanny **** wrote:
    Lads does anything think middle Ireland won't be stiffed again?

Not only will middle Ireland be stiffed, so to will be the lower classes

Oh.... in what way.... I’m getting worried now, or able to relax.

IW are banking on the fact that there are gullible people out there who will actually believe that homes with no meter can be billed for using excessive amounts. The fact is that that cannot happen. IW cannot legally send a bill to No 157 Anywhere Road for an extra 50 litres of water if No 157 does not have a meter because IW cannot know that No 157 has used an extra 50 litres. The homeowner can simply say "I didn't use an extra 50 litres, show me the evidence". And since there will be no evidence, they will not have to pay. That is the basic, simple, legal reality.

If Marianne84 - or anyone else - can say how IW can say to No 157 "You've used an extra 50 litres" if No 157 doesn't have a meter, then would you please tell us. We would all love to know!

It seems to be quite plain that a house with no meter cannot be accused of using a specific amount of water.

IW spent 50 million Euro on consultants already and they really need now to spend another few quid in order to solve this conundrum because any fines they collect under this farcical system will eventually have to be returned.

Benedict wrote: »
    IW are banking on the fact that there are gullible people out there who will actually believe that homes with no meter can be billed for using excessive amounts. The fact is that that cannot happen. IW cannot legally send a bill to No 157 Anywhere Road for an extra 50 litres of water if No 157 does not have a meter because IW cannot know that No 157 has used an extra 50 litres. The homeowner can simply say "I didn't use an extra 50 litres, show me the evidence". And since there will be no evidence, they will not have to pay. That is the basic, simple, legal reality.

If Marianne84 - or anyone else - can say how IW can say to No 157 "You've used an extra 50 litres" if No 157 doesn't have a meter, then would you please tell us. We would all love to know!

It seems to be quite plain that a house with no meter cannot be accused of using a specific amount of water.

IW spent 50 million Euro on consultants already and they really need now to spend another few quid in order to solve this conundrum because any fines they collect under this farcical system will eventually have to be returned.

Correct, and that’s why I say that Middle Ireland won’t be stiffed twice.

Soz if it interfered with any bodies sleep.

I have said all along that realistically IW cannot establish usage of a home with no meter and therefore cannot charge it with excessive usage. Also, if the plan is that only around 50% of homes are threatened with excessive usage charges, then the plan cannot work in a democracy.

So therefore, the plan is dead - and no contributors to this thread have shown otherwise.

If IW are following this thread, they should be thankful to it for showing before they go any further that they are on a journey to nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not only will middle Ireland be stiffed, so to will be the lower classes

We should all pay for water usage. NO Waivers either. So called lower class need to pay also. Every one. Water is precious.

Chinasea wrote: »
    We should all pay for water usage. NO Waivers either. So called lower class need to pay also. Every one. Water is precious.

We already do. Ever heard of tax?

Chinasea wrote: »

Are you aware that under the current plan, nearly half of IW customers will have a waiver?

Are you aware that under the current plan, nearly half of IW customers will have a waiver?

Change the record. Anyone who wastes water WILL have to face the consequences. Though, the majority of people are civic minded and will conserve. After all, we have to consider our children and grandchildren’s futures and care for the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Change the record. Anyone who wastes water WILL have to face the consequences. Though, the majority of people are civic minded and will conserve. After all, we have to consider our children and grandchildren’s futures and care for the planet.
    Water isn't oil, or lithium, or helium. We're not pumping groundwater in this country. Once we don't go nuts, it's a renewable resource. This talk of conservation annoys me. We teach little kids about the water cycle. Blessington and Roundwood won't be empty for our grandchildren. It feels like Irish Water are so desperate to avoid infrastructural investment that they're a dry month away from issuing stillsuits and advising us to drink our own piss.

With respect M84, it's you who needs to change the record.
    You still have not explained exactly how any person without a meter (let alone all people without meters) who waste water will be forced to pay.
    You have already been challenged to explain, now I challenge you again.
    Tell us exactly how a person with no meter in the middle of hundreds of houses also with no meters will be forced to pay?
    No broad statements or spoof - say EXACTLY how.
    You won't though, because even IW can't answer that one!

With respect M84, it's you who needs to change the record.
    You still have not explained exactly how any person without a meter (let alone all people without meters) who waste water will be forced to pay.
    You have already been challenged to explain, now I challenge you again.
    Tell us exactly how a person with no meter in the middle of hundreds of houses also with no meters will be forced to pay?
    No broad statements or spoof - say EXACTLY how.
    You won't though, because even IW can't answer that one!

By process of elimination. Do you think that people are going to be willing to pay for the water being wasted by their neighbours?? I know that I certainly wouldn't.

By process of elimination. Do you think that people are going to be willing to pay for the water being wasted by their neighbours?? I know that I certainly wouldn't.

Middle Ireland were stiffed once on this issue

They will not be stiffed twice.

This one won’t get legs.

Meter one
    Meter all

You clearly can't answer the question which was asked. Better just to say so.

This one won’t get legs.

Meter one
    Meter all

Thousands of dwellings can't be metered.

• Advertisement

We already do. Ever heard of tax?

Great I pay f*ckloads of tax - does that mean I can get a free passport when mine expires too?

Great I pay f*ckloads of tax - does that mean I can get a free passport when mine expires too?

Free nope , but charged for it twice absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

This one won’t get legs.

Meter one
    Meter all

The taxpayer has been stiffed once already with over a Billion euro wasted on FG`s wet dream of a stealth tax on water with all the shady deals and cronyism that was involved.
    Are some here really looking for another Billion euro to be wasted on metering on the basis of some households overusing their allocation. Especially many apartments cannot be individually metered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Which can be achieved by district metering for a lot less than wasting yet another Billion euro on individual household water meters.

Free nope , but charged for it twice absolutely not.

But I already pay for my passport

But I already pay for my passport

Was it a lifetime passport or has it an expiry date?( If you want to make stupid analogies I'll indulge you for a little while).

Was it a lifetime passport or has it an expiry date?( If you want to make stupid analogies I'll indulge you for a little while).

How is it stupid?

Water: can't pay a charge for that, I already pay for it (taxes)

Why doesn't it apply to passports, birth certs, drivers licences etc?

Serious question? I genuinely don't see the difference

My son's birth certificate (that I was charged for) doesn't have an expiration date (though I'm not in anyway seeing how an expiration date is relevant)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Eh I pay taxes and thousands for my own well and pump house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

From memory, back in the day, I think I advised Irish Water that there were two adults living in my household. This has now changed......How will this work?

• Advertisement

How is it stupid?

Water: can't pay a charge for that, I already pay for it (taxes)
    You can if you wish. Send a cheque or cash to IW. Their corporate address is on their website
    Why doesn't it apply to passports, birth certs, drivers licences etc?

Serious question? I genuinely don't see the difference

My son's birth certificate (that I was charged for) doesn't have an expiration date (though I'm not in anyway seeing how an expiration date is relevant)
    Think i'm done indulging in stupid analogies, they were stupider than I thought they'd be.

Advertisement