Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

charlie14 wrote: »
    At this stage you are just throwing out the first rubbish that crosses your mind attempting to keep the FG wet dream alive in nobody`s head but your own.

Flat rate charges do not encourage conservation.

Exactly. There’s be a mad rush for meters then!

The rest of your post is just rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

What on earth is M84 talking about. IW don't install meters anymore. If I begged IW for a meter I couldn't get one. If I offered to pay them for a meter I couldn't get one. They DON'T DO METERS ANY MORE!

The meters options is gone, gone, gone!

Benedict wrote: »
    What on earth is M84 talking about. IW don't install meters anymore. If I begged IW for a meter I couldn't get one. If I offered to pay them for a meter I couldn't get one. They DON'T DO METERS ANY MORE!

The meters options is gone, gone, gone!

Just because they aren’t actively installing meters at the moment doesn’t mean that in the event of customers being offered a choice between metering or flat rate, that they cannot install them on request at some date in the future. Irish Water is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Exactly. There’s be a mad rush for meters then!

The rest of your post is just rubbish.

You really are still living in dreamland.
    Metering is gone and it is not coming back for at least a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just because they aren’t actively installing meters at the moment doesn’t mean that in the event of customers being offered a choice between metering or flat rate, that they cannot install them on request at some date in the future. Irish Water is here to stay.

In the UK there is a flat high flat rate. Houses with meters pay less than the flat rate. There is an incentive there to opt for the meter. None of this nonsense of so many litres free per person. Also if you want to sell your property it must have a meter. Your solicitor cannot move forward without a meter. Homeowners who were anti meter people then have to pay to have a meter installed before they can sell their home.

Long term we can have metered water if a government has balls and goes about it in the right way. Revenue collecting for the first few years would definitely be required though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In the UK there is a flat high flat rate. Houses with meters pay less than the flat rate. There is an incentive there to opt for the meter. None of this nonsense of so many litres free per person. Also if you want to sell your property it must have a meter. Your solicitor cannot move forward without a meter. Homeowners who were anti meter people then have to pay to have a meter installed before they can sell their home.

Long term we can have metered water if a government has balls and goes about it in the right way. Revenue collecting for the first few years would definitely be required though

That makes sense.

One of the reasons it would never happen in this country.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Relatives living in the Uk are mostly paying per meter reading now. It does lead to conservation. It’s one of the main reasons why I am in favour of water charges. When people get something for nothing, they’ve no regard for it or it’s source.

The people of Ireland said "No" to meters and once it was possible to prevent installations, the war was over. At that point, IW should have realised that they had lost the battle and they should have gone back to the drawing board. Instead, they kept applying patches to the plan and each patch was worse than the last. They finally decided to start pretending that they could measure usage of non-metered homes as well as metered ones and this was, perhaps, the daftest patch of all because everybody knows they can't do that and if they could, why would they have bothered installing meters in the first place.

Benedict wrote:
    The people of Ireland said "No" to meters and once it was possible to prevent installations, the war was over. At that point, IW should have realised that they had lost the battle and they should have gone back to the drawing board. Instead, they kept applying patches to the plan and each patch was worse than the last. They finally decided to start pretending that they could measure usage of non-metered homes as well as metered ones and this was, perhaps, the daftest patch of all because everybody knows they can't do that and if they could, why would they have bothered installing meters in the first place.

I'm in favour of paying for water usage but the whole process of bringing in water charges here was probably the worst implication of any government policy in the history of the state. It turned Gardai against law abiding citizens. I know there were some scumbag protesters but I also say many who hold full time jobs and have mortgages. The damage done to the reputation of the Gardai, courts and even the DPP will take a long time to recover.

Relatives living in the Uk are mostly paying per meter reading now. It does lead to conservation. It’s one of the main reasons why I am in favour of water charges. When people get something for nothing, they’ve no regard for it or it’s source.

Rich from someone who claimed the hilariously titled "conservation grant":rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rich from someone who claimed the hilariously titled "conservation grant":rolleyes:
    I'm neither rich nor a fool. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm neither rich nor a fool. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Neither were those that refused to "engage" with IW.
    They recognised a con when they saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Neither were those that refused to "engage" with IW.
    They recognised a con when they saw it.

Nah ! In the main they was cheap scrotes who don't want to pay for anything !

Egged on by that baldy cnunt with the megafone ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

1.7 million dwellings in the state, just over 900k engaged with IW.
    Your comment for want of a better description is nothing but a piece of 'dog whistle' BS tbh.

FG and Labour must have had a large number of cheap scrote voters with the fear of God it put into their TD`s when they saw them in such huge numbers on the protest marches .....

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

1.7 million dwellings in the state, just over 900k engaged with IW.
    Your comment for want of a better description is nothing but a piece of 'dog whistle' BS tbh.

Look lad ...grow up will you ?

Everybody knows there is a large cohort of people in Paddyland who will pay for nothing and expect everything for free.

This is actively encouraged by SF and the leftie TD'S but it will come back to bite them when they realise they cannot pay for their fantasies .

Nothing is free my friend ...potable water is a valuable expensive resource and needs to be conserved.

It will happen...maybe not now ...but it will happen ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Everybody knows there is a large cohort of people in Paddyland who will pay for nothing and expect everything for free.

This is actively encouraged by SF and the leftie TD'S but it will come back to bite them when they realise they cannot pay for their fantasies .

Nothing is free my friend ...potable water is a valuable expensive resource and needs to be conserved.

Another nonsensical rant tbh.

This nonsense has been going around boards for years now. The non compliance came from people from all walks of life. The same people will have you believe that people in socal housing or on the waiting list are all unemployed wasters. Obviously this is not so in the vast majority of cases

You can't introduce a stupid law which targets only half the users and then say those who don't want to comply are at fault. There are countless homes which would pay up no problem if the law was fair - but it simply isn't.

Once IW backed off from installing meters in every home, they had lost the war. But instead of ripping up the plan, they decided that those who had accepted the meters would be charged and those who refused to accept them would be rewarded with free water at the expense of those who had accepted the meters.

Only a complete idiot would accept this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Benedict wrote:
    Once IW backed off from installing meters in every home, they had lost the war. But instead of ripping up the plan, they decided that those who had accepted the meters would be charged and those who refused to accept them would be rewarded with free water at the expense of those who had meters.

War?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    War?

Okay.... battle?

Benedict wrote:
    Okay.... battle?

War, battle, WTF! Installing public infrastructure is neither of these

Benedict wrote:
    Only a complete idiot would accept this nonsense.

Totally agree.

I'm happy to pay for water usage when everyone pays. No household allowance or child allowance or OAP allowance. Water should be metered and a small price per letter charged. Once you introduce free litres for children and OAPs what you are doing is making others pay more for these free users.

Simplest formula is everyone pays a low price per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It already happens through our taxes. FG's dream of getting people to pay twice is dead.

BanditLuke wrote:
    It already happens through our taxes. FG's dream of getting people to pay twice is dead.

For the moment anyway, but this will continually return until implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

BanditLuke wrote: »

The idea is that you pay once through water charges. This would allow a reduction in income tax or VAT.

Suggesting that it was, or is, FG's dream of collecting tax twice is a simplistic argument and doesn't hold true. If you believe otherwise please reference your source.

Every other European country charges for water. Are those countries taxing their citizens twice?

Source: https://www.thejournal.ie/what-countries-in-europe-have-water-charges-facts-3002075-Oct2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

As someone who can't stand FG and everything they stand for and stood with others to stop IW placing meters in our estate I hope they come back for a second go at charging twice when they get back in with FF in a few weeks. It will be the final nail in their coffin and should see them end up where labour is now in terms of seats.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    As someone who can't stand FG and everything they stand for and stood with others to stop IW placing meters in our estate I hope they come back for a second go at charging twice when they get back in with FF in a few weeks. It will be the final nail in their coffin and should see them end up where labour is now in terms of seats.

What a pathetic argument. You despise a political party and that’s your only reason to despise water charges. What about conservation? Fairness?

In some other jurisdictions, apparently, they offer you a meter and if you refuse, you get hit with an annual fixed charge. This could work in Ireland but for the fact that they can't offer you a meter because they do do installations any more. Also, the only way to get people to pay the fixed charge would be to let the Revenue go after it and this would ruin the privatisation plan (which we all know is the ultimate aim).

• Advertisement

Benedict wrote:
    In some other jurisdictions, apparently, they offer you a meter and if you refuse, you get hit with an annual fixed charge. This could work in Ireland but for the fact that they can't offer you a meter because they do do installations any more. Also, the only way to get people to pay the fixed charge would be to let the Revenue go after it and this would ruin the privatisation plan (which we all know is the ultimate aim).

Ah with the increasing push back to privatisation, I'm not convinced it would actually happen here, but I can see metering occuring

Advertisement