Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

PommieBast wrote: »
    Seems that Noonan said "possibility of introducing water charges should be explored". While not officailly on the agenda I doubt someone in his positon would say something like that if it was firmly off the agenda.

He can say whatever the jaysis he likes, it's converting the folk who recognised the conjob it was last time - and I include those hordes of subservient folk, who quickly demanded a refund while pocketing the conservation grant that was in no way shape or form a bribe.

I note he (Noonan) is also suggesting a referendum on to ensure Irish water is kept in public ownership and never privatised.

If only someone had suggested that idea in the past.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

PommieBast wrote: »
    Seems that Noonan said "possibility of introducing water charges should be explored". While not officailly on the agenda I doubt someone in his positon would say something like that if it was firmly off the agenda.

If the greens were that bothered then why is it not in the programme for government ?

No need to give it much thought really.
    That article also says it would require a referendum before any consideration could be given to it, and hasn`t blanch152 been telling us with his vast constitutional knowledge, in this thread and in other incarnations, that a referendum is impossible to even word let alone hold a referendum on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

McMurphy wrote: »
    I note he (Noonan) is also suggesting a referendum on to ensure Irish water is kept in public ownership and never privatised.
    Noticed that as well. Guessing being a Green party minister he had to slot in some virtue-signalling somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

blanch152 wrote: »
    Was delighted to read the article in the Sunday Independent where Malcolm Noonan said that water charges would be back on the agenda during this government’s lifespan. I voted Green expecting this to happen, well done to them.

No magic money tree needed.

Yes, but the Green Party bloke didn't specify how he could introduce water charges in a fair and just manner. He just suggested "Ugh ugh, let's get charges back ugh ugh".

He didn't see any reason for addressing the fact that if you introduce charges, metered house will be hammered while apartments and non-metered houses will be subsidised by the eejits who have to pay.

Just ugh ugh bring in charges ugh ugh what's de problem ugh ugh.

Nobody on this thread has EVER explained how non metered homes can be assessed for usage (although one person knows a plumber who knows - but she won't tell us how).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Benedict wrote: »
    Yes, but the Green Party bloke didn't specify how he could introduce water charges in a fair and just manner. He just suggested "Ugh ugh, let's get charges back ugh ugh".

He didn't see any reason for addressing the fact that if you introduce charges, metered house will be hammered while apartments and non-metered houses will be subsidised by the eejits who have to pay.

Just ugh ugh bring in charges ugh ugh what's de problem ugh ugh.

Nobody on this thread has EVER explained how non metered homes can be assessed for usage (although one person knows a plumber who knows - but she won't tell us how).

We have the excess use charge coming in May. I guess we will see then. New houses and apartments should not be allowed to be built with individual meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Water charges haven’t gone away, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

So metering will be reintroduced as well?

We have the excess use charge coming in May. I guess we will see then. New houses and apartments should not be allowed to be built with individual meters.

Sorry now, but in a democracy you simply cannot say "You have a meter, so you pay, they house next door doesn't have a meter so they don't pay".

And unless there is a way of measuring usage without a meter, the house next door will not be paying.

You cannot charge for "excess usage" if the house doesn't have a meter and nearly half the homes in the country don't have meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Everyone should get meters. Cant reccomend them enough. Reluctance to get them is based on greed and privisation conspiracy theories.

Everyone should get meters. Cant reccomend them enough. Reluctance to get them is based on greed and privisation conspiracy theories.

In England, people were given the choice of meter or fixed charge. Those on a meter are much more likely to conserve. It’s the way to go.

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here.

439.gif

It's over folks, they had their chance, but they well and truly fcuked it up for an entire generation at the very least.

No amount of polishing won't disguise the turd they keep wanting to revisit.

In England, people were given the choice of meter or fixed charge. Those on a meter are much more likely to conserve. It’s the way to go.

Yet the metered average household in England uses more water than the average household in England so how do you explain that Mary ?
    Cold it possibly be that nationally we do not waste water.

You know as well as I do from all your time on these threads that English metered water is supplied and charged for by private companies where in the vast majority of cases any savings in water usage do not result in lesser charges. Conserve water and the price per liter goes up.
    This "conserved water" is then offered by these private companies to business at reduced bulk prices.
    Is that what you are advocating should be applied here Mary ?

Btw, I dont think there is anything stopping people applying to IW to have a meter installed. I very much doubt IW are being ran off their feet complying with request though :)

Water charges haven’t gone away, you know.

In a national survey you would in all likelihood find the same percentage believing the same about fairies.

You're forgetting that people who were willing to have meters couldn't get them! IW stopped installing them. If you try to get a meter installed today, you can't. So what are you talking about "Everyone should get meters"?

They can't get meters.

C A N ' T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fantastic to see water charges for excessive usage back on the agenda.

Having worked for IW in a previous role I can assure am everybody that I have seen agricultural premises that have a domestic element where the Bill's have not crossed the threshold. The vast vast majority of people will not have to pay an extra cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Benedict wrote: »
    You're forgetting that people who were willing to have meters couldn't get them! IW stopped installing them. If you try to get a meter installed today, you can't. So what are you talking about "Everyone should get meters"?

They can't get meters.

C A N ' T

I work out on the ground for an IW contractor and I'm installing meters / locating & repairing leaks every day. If you want a new meter installed you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

But people living in free houses need to have the human right to run the taps all winter to stop them freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Joe Kane wrote: »
    I work out on the ground for an IW contractor and I'm installing meters / locating & repairing leaks every day. If you want a new meter installed you will get it.

Of course you are, I’ve read some of your post history. It seems to contradict what you have said here.

Complete spoofery as well you know - unless of course you have some kind of source to compare what the metered brits are conserving v us unmetered Paddy's, and not merely talking complete nonsense hoping it goes unchecked?

Na - didn't think so.

Complete spoofery as well you know - unless of course you have some kind of source to compare what the metered brits are conserving v us unmetered Paddy's, and not merely talking complete nonsense hoping it goes unchecked?

Na - didn't think so.

Lots of spoofery on this thread, seems to emanate from just a few though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

IW a total joke for first fix free. We got letters about excess usage and called them numerous times. They came out eventually and told us the problem was on our side, we had to fix. We ended up having to dig our whole yard up, and low and behold the leak was on their side on an old brittle piece of piping. We told them as much as our yard would have been full of water with the amount of water we were “using”. we literally had to do their job for them, and I don’t think it’s right to penalise people when the excess usage is not their fault.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Fantastic to see water charges for excessive usage back on the agenda.

Having worked for IW in a previous role I can assure am everybody that I have seen agricultural premises that have a domestic element where the Bill's have not crossed the threshold. The vast vast majority of people will not have to pay an extra cent.

Were you the man that sent out the bribes by any chance? Or the lad who dreamt up the PowerPoint presentation slides about Citizens/consumers/customer's?

20201230-113502.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

screamer wrote: »
    IW a total joke for first fix free. We got letters about excess usage and called them numerous times. They came out eventually and told us the problem was on our side, we had to fix. We ended up having to dig our whole yard up, and low and behold the leak was on their side on an old brittle piece of piping. We told them as much as our yard would have been full of water with the amount of water we were “using”. we literally had to do their job for them, and I don’t think it’s right to penalise people when the excess usage is not their fault.

More details needed, you dug up your yard and found the leak before the meter, or you dug up your yard and found the leak outside your property before the meter?

Can IW even dig up private property like that? (regardless of where the meter is)

Joe Kane wrote: »

If if there are 2000 houses on an estate which has no meters (and lots of entire areas have not a single meter) and I phone IW and say "I live in X estate, house No 359. Will you install a meter please?". IW will say "Of course, we'll get the diggers and engineers out there by the end of the week.".

Will you get real for heaven's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'll just leave this here.

439.gif

It's over folks, they had their chance, but they well and truly fcuked it up for an entire generation at the very least.

No amount of polishing won't disguise the turd they keep wanting to revisit.

Silly gifs won’t change fundamental truths,

Water charges haven’t gone away, that is why we are talking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pkiernan wrote: »
    But people living in free houses need to have the human right to run the taps all winter to stop them freezing.

So much bollocksology in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We always paid. Changing the method to save face is not a return to crooked water metering and billing. But the deluded can try convincing themselves and that's hunky dory.

The poster probably could not find a gif the dead cat Michael Noonan described water charges were. That said I thought flogging a dead horse said it just as well as an example of some here.

For myself it`s more a case of amusement than talking about water charges.
    Sure if you didn`t laugh you would cry.

1 Bullion euro wasted on the damn things, that not only never raised a red cent, but are now at the end of their lifespan. Meanwhile that waste of space and taxpayers money, IW, and their supporters are making noise about collecting charges without apparently a clue that for over half the country there is no way of determining usage.
    Although Maryanne seems to know how, but for whatever reason she is not telling.

You could not make it up .It`s mad Ted .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I can just say one thing, as someone who has a meter.... if they charge for excess usage based on my meter, where others don't have one, I will refuse to pay and probably go to jail.

How the heck can they decide what non metered households use?

Nope.

• Advertisement

The important thing is have we learnt the difference between a referendum and a plebiscite?

Advertisement