Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Moan Again, Naturally: Liveline 18/07/2019 to date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I don't begrudge that auld lad getting a free plug for the Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Joe was never cool caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BPKS wrote: »
    I thought she was going to say they were all dead

Joe was disappointed that they weren't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Theres a smokers voice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

First RTE story you've covered since 1946 as well Joe.

I was in a little club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Theres a smokers voice
    Marian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

The Spanish Nuns , Finglas, Shure it wasn't The Drake Inn missus ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭shearforce

is this a smoking lifesaving cross-over story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

A nun that was not abusing somebody - RTE don't want to hear this, cut the call Fungus, cut the call .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I get the feeling that this one tells the story within three minutes of meeting someone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Serial Saver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

there were six lifeguards there but i saved the child! should have got a meddle.

Liveline Calls Back Season sorted.x

I saved dogs’ lives by giving mouth to mouth resusitation when dey were newborn puppies, I know what amniotic fluid tastes like. I might take a call.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did you get a rub of the relic?

My dad started smoking the butts at a very young age, hence a lifetime of lung issues, so to speak.

3000k! no baggage allowance back then caller

Researcher getting the head taken off them now.

• Advertisement

Some highlights for those of you podcasting later:

Tell us about the hole in your Dad's neck.

I'm sure you've saved many lives since, in many ways, God bless.

Long life, long life, long life, long life.

Was someone recording that? Missed most of Daithi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,949 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You can go and call the show
    Anytime you know and talk to Joe
    If trouble fits
    Puttin' on da Ritz

Dressed up like a million Euro Bowsie
    We never see the red velour trousers
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Some highlights for those of you podcasting later:

Tell us about the hole in your Dad's neck.

I'm sure you've saved many lives since, in many ways, God bless.

Long life, long life, long life, long life.

You forgot to mention the gold where Joe absolutely lost his shizzle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

How many people have been kicked and punched over the weekend in Ireland and that makes the news?

Now now, i'm sure if a white Irish teenager was beaten up by "non-nationals" it would be all over every channel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

pc7 wrote: »

Roughly how far in was this? So I cant give it my undivided attention later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Roughly how far in was this? So I cant give it my undivided attention later!

Listen from 20 minutes in until 30 minutes in. Was pure gold.

Something about Dáithí just doesn't sit right with me. I'll have to listen back, but I think Bláthnaid was the one who originally contacted the programme on this issue, even though Dáithí was the one who 'kicked off' the discussion.

Because in fact, if Bláthnaid had just come on the programme and gave her spiel, there'd be no fireworks (no reasonable person can disagree with her points about smoking around sick people). The call would have passed off unremarkably. Daithí was staged, whoever it was.

Even Joe's tone when he was admonishing Dáithí, I don't know, sounded a bit contrived. He didn't sound like he'd genuinely lost the plot - he never adapts that 'quiet authority' voice when he's truly mad. Strange.

I actually don't think Liveline would be so stupid as to plant a caller, but I think Joe understood on some level it wasn't a serious call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Something about Dáithí just doesn't sit right with me. I'll have to listen back, but I think Bláthnaid was the one who originally contacted the programme on this issue, even though Dáithí was the one who 'kicked off' the discussion.

Because in fact, if Bláthnaid had just come on the programme and gave her spiel, there'd be no fireworks (no reasonable person can disagree with her points about smoking around sick people). The call would have passed off unremarkably. Daithí was staged, whoever it was.

Even Joe's tone when he was admonishing Dáithí, I don't know, sounded a bit contrived. He didn't sound like he'd genuinely lost the plot - he never adapts that 'quiet authority' voice when he's truly mad. Strange.

I actually don't think Liveline would be so stupid as to plant a caller, but I think Joe understood on some level it wasn't a serious call.

Not sure I agree with your conspiracy theory caller.

On the bit I've highlighted, Joe told Daithi to stop shouting. Joe then adopted what was, for a few sentences, a calm hushed tone before he then exploded and started shouting himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He wasn't able to keep calm

BPKS wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with your conspiracy theory caller.

On the bit I've highlighted, Joe told Daithi to stop shouting. Joe then adopted what was, for a few sentences, a calm hushed tone before he then exploded and started shouting himself.
    Aha! But I forgot to mention Exhibit B, the laughter in the background on Daithí's line. If we could hear that through radio, Joe certainly heard through his headphones. He knew he was dealing with a joker.

Daithí made one big mistake, he went too far and lost credibility. I reckon he's a friend of Bláthnaid (all of whom love Joe, she says) I'm just gonna say it - NOT GOLD!!

• Advertisement

Aha! But I forgot to mention Exhibit B, the laughter in the background on Daithí's line. If we could hear that through radio, Joe certainly heard through his headphones. He knew he was dealing with a joker.

Daithí made one big mistake, he went too far and lost credibility. I reckon he's a friend of Bláthnaid (all of whom love Joe, she says) I'm just gonna say it - NOT GOLD!!

Not sure what I believe really, except that it was a very strange interaction.

Surely there isnt anybody that would actualy genuinely hold Daithís opinion?

Think I heard 'guff' lobbed in there a few times while Joe was at maximum vexation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

sligojoek wrote: »
    The fakeness of Joe shining through.

Are you new here...

Oh wait :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

They left it in. :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21607129

8.35 until after 15 minutes.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    You can go and call the show
    Anytime you know and talk to Joe
    If trouble fits
    Puttin' on da Ritz

Dressed up like a million Euro Bowsie
    We never see the red velour trousers

Yer on next Funny Froyday, dja hear?

Not sure what I believe really, except that it was a very strange interaction.

Surely there isnt anybody that would actualy genuinely hold Daithís opinion?

Think I heard 'guff' lobbed in there a few times while Joe was at maximum vexation.

If these two were fake callers they are actor colleagues taking the p1ss at Joe. Whoy? Were they two of us?

I had missed it! Just listened, fecking gold callers!

I'll have to listen back. I only got the end of it.

In fairness Joe kind of had a point but mishandled the situation and lost his temper. I guess because of the interview style nature of the show now he has lost his edge on dealing with trolling/blowhard callers. Stick to history Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Just listened back. The martial law bit was class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

withless wrote: »
    In fairness Joe kind of had a point but mishandled the situation and lost his temper. I guess because of the interview style nature of the show now he has lost his edge on dealing with trolling/blowhard callers. Stick to history Joe.

Joe Duffy..interview style. Sorry that doesn't compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I have a big issue with this. The hospitals made a big mistake with this making the whole campus smoke free. Smokers are going to smoke no matter what you do so the old system where they had a smoking area worked. Smokers went there, non-smokers didn't.

Now you're not "allowed" to smoke anywhere so why not just go ahead and smoke right outside the door if you can't make it outside the "campus".

It's a load of bollix. If I'm going to die in a few days I'm going to smoke and drink all a want and fcuk the begrudgers. If they provide an area I'll go there, if they don't I'll just do it where I want.

I'm with Daithi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

SNIP - Mod

the same happened in Churchtown, the media was all over an attack on some Afghans - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/nutgrove-properties-searched-after-attack-on-afghan-family-1.2642224 - until it emerged that that they were Connorses and the story was dropped to page 94 - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/two-men-jailed-for-attack-on-three-afghani-nationals-1.3335582

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I have a big issue with this. The hospitals made a big mistake with this making the whole campus smoke free. Smokers are going to smoke no matter what you do so the old system where they had a smoking area worked. Smokers went there, non-smokers didn't.

Now you're not "allowed" to smoke anywhere so why not just go ahead and smoke right outside the door if you can't make it outside the "campus".

It's a load of bollix. If I'm going to die in a few days I'm going to smoke and drink all a want and fcuk the begrudgers. If they provide an area I'll go there, if they don't I'll just do it where I want.

I'm with Daithi.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. A certain number of the population smoke. Some of them will be in hospitals or nursing homes either as patients or visitors. It is unreasonable to ban smoking on the entire campus. Within the building the ban is quite rightly justified on health grounds. The only reason for banning smoking out in the open air is just vindictiveness.
    In complete contrast the policy towards heroin users is to provide, from public funds, places for them to indulge in their habit.

Ive listened back again and Daithi's opening line is right off the bat rehearsed in my opinion. Maybe he was on hold for a while and came up with it or maybe he has a turn of phrase, I dont know but I'm just not 100% convinced he called in with genuine purpose.

As per the below there is form for a urine taking caller to somehow end up being back up from subsequent earnst callers showing how things can get legs of their own sometimes.

https://youtu.be/_PX7FSaBZW8

Ive listened back again and Daithi's opening line is right off the bat rehearsed in my opinion. Maybe he was on hold for a while and came up with it or maybe he has a turn of phrase, I dont know but I'm just not 100% convinced he called in with genuine purpose.

As per the below there is form for a urine taking caller to somehow end up being back up from subsequent earnst callers showing how things can get legs of their own sometimes.

https://youtu.be/_PX7FSaBZW8

Yes, yes, yes indeed. He is in “rehearsed” mode. It’s likely enough to be a broadcast audition for this year’s Christmas panto an dat. Luvvies will day “there, he can convince de peepul, he’s with €20K for his appearance as a hologram.Wow!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with you. A certain number of the population smoke. Some of them will be in hospitals or nursing homes either as patients or visitors. It is unreasonable to ban smoking on the entire campus. Within the building the ban is quite rightly justified on health grounds. The only reason for banning smoking out in the open air is just vindictiveness.
    In complete contrast the policy towards heroin users is to provide, from public funds, places for them to indulge in their habit.

This is what made me quit in 1995. I imagined, what would I do were I to land in a place or situation where one could just not smoke at all? Then I would feel not in control of the situation, and gasping for the next ciggie. Therefore I must be one step ahead, and have given up in my own volition. That’s what a trip to Singapore did for me, as it is illegal to smoke there. They won’t let you drink either without food. I remember I g ordering a drink at the bar and the waitress came with lots of sticks of hot satay to soak it up.

When I was in Caritas after the disastrous knee replacement, the very nice lady sharing my room was a smoker, and at least she was able to sneak out for smokes to a little shelter they have provided for the purpose, similar to the one at the hospice where they wheel people out for a well-deserved smoke.

withless wrote: »

Joe sounds just like my original surgeon when he loses his temper, and by that I mean the style rather than the accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Just catching up on Tuesday's show.

Gutted to hear how getting expelled and deported from Irish college has been so hard on poor Alex and has made him cast down. Terrible that he is now sleeping in the woods and hiding out from the authorities. Can sort of understand why he mightn't want to go back home due to the difficulties at home - his Mam must be tough to live with for sure.

Sad case!

In 1987 After waking in hospital after a serious motorcycle accident , the first thing my father said is "Do you want a fag?" After they left a nurse said to me, "Those things will kill you." Not a word about driving around like a lunatic on a high powered killing machine.

I'll never forget the day my brother flew for the first time. Dublin to Glasgow on a propeller plane. The second he got outside the door on the top rung of the ladder he sparked up. There was war between him and one of the hostesses. I can say that because that's what they were called at the time. As soon as we got into the building the Prevention of terrorism crowd kept us busy for another two hours.

• Advertisement

Conor84 wrote: »
    Just catching up on Tuesday's show.

Gutted to hear how getting expelled and deported from Irish college has been so hard on poor Alex and has made him cast down. Terrible that he is now sleeping in the woods and hiding out from the authorities. Can sort of understand why he mightn't want to go back home due to the difficulties at home - his Mam must be tough to live with for sure.

Sad case!

Alex from the gealtacht? That was a month ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement