Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Moan Again, Naturally: Liveline 18/07/2019 to date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

There will be a lot of game pie in Mayo next month.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

RTE has done it's bit on the racism. Now on to it's "BREXIT is a really really really bad thing" agenda now.

Would you, perhaps, care to point out how in any way, it might be a really, really good thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

only a 2 week breakeen , a Brendan Grace tribute week incoming ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Well that was a truly ****e show. Have a good weekend callers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thank you for your service Katie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There was another similar case this week in the courts.

https://www.accidentclaimsdirect.ie/schoolgirl-who-fractured-her-ankle-jumping-off-trampoline-settles-case-for-e35k/

35K for a kid fracturing her ankle coming off a trampoline. A year's wages for an accident that was nobody's fault. But the father cashed in. It's going to get to the stage that you wont be able to organise a sponsored walk without somebody suing for a 5 figure sum.

Maybe the solution is for local community groups and small businesses to have no insurance. Little point in suing groups and people who don't have the assets to pay the inflated awards. Most of these claimants think it's a victimless exercise - sure aren't they getting the cash from big rich insurance companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Call Josepha Maddigan caller,she'll fix you up.
    Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts caller.
    Swings and Fall-Abouts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

sligojoek wrote: »
    De Big Man is back to work next week is he?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

withless wrote: »

We should have a drinking game for everytime he mentions Brendan Grace

She said Joe would be back on Monday

• Advertisement

She said Joe would be back on Monday
    Hallelujah shrieks the Grim Reaper . A Loyal Listener of Joe’s . Doesn’t get quite as much out of it as Joe , but its the the Reapers relaxing time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why were

The omen

And voucher haze

Rejected ahead of herself??

Philip is busy making anti Trump pieces for drivetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Why were

The omen

And voucher haze

Missed Thursday & Friday’s shows. I’d prefer Katie to the other stand-ins. She seems to have a good personality (like Damian, can’t stand Philip). Think she has lots to learn though-heard her on Drivetime also and she lets guests talk for ages without intervening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

honeybear wrote: »
    Missed Thursday & Friday’s shows. I’d prefer Katie to the other stand-ins. She seems to have a good personality (like Damian, can’t stand Philip). Think she has lots to learn though-heard her on Drivetime also and she lets guests talk for ages without intervening.

Letting people talk is a good thing

Davis did it The Omen did it

Lord Range Rover of Wicklow was as bad as Duffy for jumping all over a caller to turn the conversation towards their own agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Cut to the chase, all Irish are racists.
    All immigrants are lovely people - we get it RTE

Now get back to trying to get ISIS Terrorist Lisa Smith back to Ireland.

Hope she gets back in time for Dancing With the Stars next January

BPKS wrote: »
    Off topic but did I hear Varadker say he wouldnt make representation to the USA about the lad from Cork who is going to be deported because its an "individual case" but he moved heaven and earth for the Ibhraham whateverhisnamewas fella.

Trinners gave him free college fees, I'm sure they'll do the same for Lisa Smith's PhD in International Diplomacy next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BPKS wrote: »
    I make it 3 of the ads in total today were not RTE ads - this BS that advertising pays for Duffys salary is laughable.

Some of us have been saying that for years caller....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I enjoy this thread.
    It's funny; it's like a psychological mystery thriller - trying to understand whats going on on the program; getting an inkling without having to listen to the whole long drawn out thing.
    yes, I'm cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I enjoy this thread.
    It's funny; it's like a psychological mystery thriller - trying to understand whats going on on the program; getting an inkling without having to listen to the whole long drawn out thing.
    yes, I'm cheating.

Drink some of this Michael

Why were

The omen

And voucher haze

I think it's because RTE is either trying to try-out different voices, or because they don't want any presenter to feel as though they're going to inherit the role (like Miriam O'Callaghan with Today SOR, I imagine)

Worth noting that all of the stand-ins have been given almost an equal share of programes -- 10, 11 and 10 for PBH, D'OR and KH respectively

(If anyone else is keeping count, the total number of Joe holidays when you include public holidays and Good Friday, is 37, 32 excluding the public holidays)

I think it's because RTE is either trying to try-out different voices, or because they don't want any presenter to feel as though they're going to inherit the role (like Miriam O'Callaghan with Today SOR, I imagine)

Worth noting that all of the stand-ins have been given almost an equal share of programes -- 10, 11 and 10 for PBH, D'OR and KH respectively

Yeah because the incumbent is unlikely to give up his €400-500K role that demands about 6 hours of his time a week for 40 weeks a year anytime soon so to speak...........

90be81268fdfdd00d61d82f54dd6922429fa09ecea962ec075cef4727e383229.jpg

Yeah because the incumbent is likely to give up his €400-500K role that demands about 6 hours of his time a week for 40 weeks a year anytime soon so to speak...........
    He must be in his mid-60s by now, and I'm sure Antibes or Cap Ferrat are beckoning

He must be in his mid-60s by now, and I'm sure Antibes or Cap Ferrat are beckoning

Think he’s 62, but he strikes me as the type of individual who won’t give up that extremely cushy number easily. I can imagine him there when he’s 70 and beyond - it’s not exactly physically or even mentally work.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I enjoy this thread.
    yes, I'm cheating.

imagine it's the year 3000 and nothing has survived of 21st century Ireland except these threads. what could historians make of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Why de F isn't Joe Duffy presenting the De Landing on de Moon show?????

Rte is a disgrace.

Ooh maybe it will be remenising about de time "i listened to the moon landing" all next week

Think he’s 62, but he strikes me as the type of individual who won’t give up that extremely cushy number easily. I can imagine him there when he’s 70 and beyond - it’s not exactly physically or even mentally work.

But if he's a contractor and not direct staff? Couldn't they decide tomorrow if they liked that his contract will not be renewed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

But if he's a contractor and not direct staff? Couldn't they decide tomorrow if they liked that his contract will not be renewed?

But hes attracting a fortune in advertising revenue :), from the likes of The ray farcy show--wonder how much two ads per interlude that pays,also The SoR show and drive time not forgetting the RTE concert orchestra and the concerts around the country sponsored by Rte.!!

Hes a money magnet....for Cladaghgreen ;);)

The TV licence crowd are big spenders too.

Lol x infinity + 1 recurring. Contract not renewed? In RTE? :pac::pac::pac:

NOBODY GETS FIRED IN OR FROM RTE!!!!!

He's part of the RTE Golden Circle (jerk). He might as well be the bastard love child of Gerry Ryan and Tubbs he's so untouchable there.

This is the place that gave Lottie Ryan a job I strongly suspect gifting her in excess of six figures annually FFS for reading the gossip pages from the Daily Fail.

I need a drink after reading your comment Dave! And you're not new here, you should know better so to speak.

• Advertisement

The whole contract nonsense is a way of avoiding tax, plain and simple. He's a full time employee except in terms of remuneration - only in this case not being an employee gifts him substantially more than he would earn as a "mere" employee. He doesn't pay PAYE, he pays corporation tax at 12.5% on his fees. It's just another way RTE indulges Duffy and his ilk. His "company" is a "one man band" set up for almost no other purpose than to avoid paying tax - something which revenue have for many years talked about tackling but haven't actually done anything about it yet.

I've written extensively on this in the past on here, as have some journalists in print media and it has been raised by some politicians. I'd link some of my posts but I'm upset now so to speak after your post and I need a drink for me nerves and dat.......

But hes attracting a fortune in advertising revenue :)

When I read this line the first thing to pop into my head was that bloody "love your orchestra" jingle.:eek:

No joke :D:D

The whole contract nonsense is a way of avoiding tax, plain and simple. He's a full time employee except in terms of remuneration - only in this case not being an employee gifts him substantially more than he would earn as a "mere" employee. ....

I am alas a mere innocent civilian unversed in the ways of rte.

Unfortunately I do have experience of paye and contracting type work and have seen Businesses keep contractors very much on their toes.

"Chop chop" fairly brutally when the contractor puts foot wrong or becomes surplus to requirements so to speak.

Why de F isn't Joe Duffy presenting the De Landing on de Moon show?????

Rte is a disgrace.

Ooh maybe it will be remenising about de time "i listened to the moon landing" all next week
    Joe has an Orbit all of his own . It dips into dodo in his own dodo way .

I am alas a mere innocent civilian unversed in the ways of rte.

Unfortunately I do have experience of paye and contracting type work and have seen Businesses keep contractors very much on their toes.

"Chop chop" fairly brutally when the contractor puts foot wrong or becomes surplus to requirements so to speak.
    I don’t think you understand the Privileges that are Bestowed on RTE Royalty:eek::eek:

The whole contract nonsense is a way of avoiding tax, plain and simple. He's a full time employee except in terms of remuneration - only in this case not being an employee gifts him substantially more than he would earn as a "mere" employee. He doesn't pay PAYE, he pays corporation tax at 12.5% on his fees. It's just another way RTE indulges Duffy and his ilk.
    In fairness to Joe Duffy, he isn't here to defend himself, but a contractor who is paid a salary from their limited company does pay income tax on that salary, and in most circumstances the company pays income tax on their behalf, if they borrow from the company as a way of avoiding personal income tax.

There's also the issue of close company taxation, which levies additional taxes on companies established by contractors qua 'employees'
    https://www.pearse-trust.ie/blog/bid/67162/irish-taxation-for-close-companies-explained

Ah lads it's 7 am and I am talking about accountancy and defending Duffy, I reckon I've finally lost it.

Regaining my sanity, it is of course only logical and fair to observe that nobody would forego a substantial semi-state pension were it not for some major tax advantages, so clearly there is tax avoidance happening, and rightly or wrongly, that is not illegal.

In fairness to Joe Duffy, he isn't here to defend himself, but a contractor who is paid a salary from their limited company does pay income tax on that salary, and in most circumstances the company pays income tax on their behalf, if they borrow from the company as a way of avoiding personal income tax.

There's also the issue of close company taxation, which levies additional taxes on companies established by contractors qua 'employees'
    https://www.pearse-trust.ie/blog/bid/67162/irish-taxation-for-close-companies-explained

Ah lads it's 7 am and I am talking about accountancy and defending Duffy, I reckon I've finally lost it.

Regaining my sanity, it is of course only logical and fair to observe that nobody would forego a substantial semi-state pension were it not for some major tax advantages, so clearly there is tax avoidance happening, and rightly or wrongly, that is not illegal.

He's not doing it to pay more tax.

You're also omitting the very generous expenses and other tax write-offs (company vehicle, rent (office space for example) etc. that such an arrangement facilitates.

And whilst you're correct in what you say on one level, do you not find it somewhat hypocritical of a man who portrays himself as not just a man of the people but the man of the people and who regularly talks of his heroes Larkin and Connolly to engage in such blatant avoidance?

With Mr. Duffy it appears to be a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

He's not doing it to pay more tax.

You're also omitting the very generous expenses and other tax write-offs (company vehicle, rent (office space for example) etc. that such an arrangement facilitates.

And whilst you're correct in what you say on one level, do you not find it somewhat hypocritical of a man who portrays himself as not just a man of the people but the man of the people and who regularly talks of his heroes Larkin and Connolly to engage in such blatant avoidance?

With Mr. Duffy it appears to be a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

train.jpg

train.jpg

Would you happen to have a recording of his voyis caller?

Would dat be Jim Larikin dere in de blue short, an' dat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I remember I posted that the Liveline play back was filmed in his kitchen and he and crew would get paid for this.
    Then it changed.

But hes attracting a fortune in advertising revenue :), from the likes of The ray farcy show--wonder how much two ads per interlude that pays,also The SoR show and drive time not forgetting the RTE concert orchestra and the concerts around the country sponsored by Rte.!!

Hes a money magnet....for Cladaghgreen ;);)

just wondering , does RTE invoice itself for the advertising, for the appearance of generating revenue ? To justify the wages for its 'stars'

2smiggy wrote: »
    just wondering , does RTE invoice itself for the advertising, for the appearance of generating revenue ? To justify the wages for its 'stars'

No, they don’t. The ads are used as filler to give the appearance of there being a full demand for ads, rather than have a one ad break so to speak.

Btw - and again i’ve pointed this out in the past - these are not free per say, they cost money to make, not least in production and creative costs. And you’d think with all that “talent” in RTÈ they’d be doing these in house, but oh no, not RTÉ! They use outside contractors and companies for the ads.

So rather than being a source of revenue, it actually costs RTÉ money to make them! Your money!!!!!

No, they don’t. The ads are used as filler to give the appearance of there being a full demand for ads, rather than have a one ad break so to speak.

Btw - and again i’ve pointed this out in the past - these are not free per say, they cost money to make, not least in production and creative costs. And you’d think with all that “talent” in RTÈ they’d be doing these in house, but oh no, not RTÉ! They use outside contractors and companies for the ads.

So rather than being a source of revenue, it actually costs RTÉ money to make them! Your money!!!!!
    RTE are a shower ! A shower you don’t feel clean after !

Can’t link it but the great one is on the twitter machine with a tweet about de wind in Clontarf and dat. Were I bold (and obviously not blocked from his account) I’d take inspiration from one Charlie Lansborough and tweet back asking

“Wat colour is de wind, Fateen?”

- Shane Lowry , a tribute. Any songs/poems in honour of the great man :eek::(
    - Boris Johnson , the horrors to come , call us with you opinions :eek::(

2smiggy wrote: »
    - Shane Lowry , a tribute. Any songs/poems in honour of the great man :eek::(
    - Boris Johnson , the horrors to come , call us with you opinions :eek::(

Joe talking about sport is always a good bet so to speak for some particularly uninformed commentary and unintentional comedy. Wikipedia will be open on both of De EyePads this afternoon and the hyperbole and exaggeration will be in full flow. The area licking will likely reach stomach turning levels.

You have been warned.

He sounded fairly worked up and campy in the promo.
    The Lowry laaaahne is open naaaaooow.

Lowry singing Fields of Athenry = good.

John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell = bad.

Joe talking about sport is always a good bet so to speak for some particularly uninformed commentary and unintentional comedy. Wikipedia will be open on both of De EyePads this afternoon and the hyperbole and exaggeration will be in full flow. The area licking will likely reach stomach turning levels.

You have been warned.

Trouble is there’s a similar vacant space in my brain when it comes to sports so I will miss the unintentional comedy and will have to be assisted in my understanding, so to speak.

• Advertisement

You have been warned.

Trouble is there’s a similar vacant space in my brain when it comes to sports so I will miss the unintentional comedy and will have to be assisted in my understanding, so to speak.
    Maybe so but we won't hear you spoofing and pretending to know all about it.

First guest will be Shane Ross

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement