Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 15 MacBook Air

Options
  • 17-07-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭

I have a vanilla Macbook Air 13". Been great for the last few years, mainly browsing, email, google apps, etc.
    (Cross post from Apple Devices)

I am now putting more demands on it:
    using excel heavier (2-3 windows), outlook and teams and mac mail simultaneously, more tabs and browser instances, two monitors, occasional VPN use, regular time machine and online replication.

As a result, fan is going a bit more loud more often.

Do I need to upgrade to a MBP? I love the small little airs and the now defunct macbook 12 (I also travel for work a lot)... but don't want to "upgrade" to something that is underpowered for my needs.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you can afford it, it definitely sounds like you'd benefit from the extra oomph of the MBP, especially if you are using a second display a lot. But at the same time I think you'd probably still be fine with another MBA. You could also consider getting the Air BTO with extra RAM. Keep in mind as well that the Air has 2 hours of extra battery life than the MBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm going to be in Australia in a couple of weeks, and it seems I can get this lad for 1885 euro (3k AUD).

13"
    2.4GHz quad-core processor Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
    512GB storage
    Touch Bar and Touch ID
    2.4GHz quad-core eighth-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
    8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    512GB of SSD storage1
    Retina display with True Tone
    Touch Bar and Touch ID
    Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

If you can afford it, it definitely sounds like you'd benefit from the extra oomph of the MBP, especially if you are using a second display a lot. But at the same time I think you'd probably still be fine with another MBA. You could also consider getting the Air BTO with extra RAM. Keep in mind as well that the Air has 2 hours of extra battery life than the MBP.

The MBP seems only a tiny bit heavier these days than the air, and now it is my main work machine as well as personal machine, I want to ensure it has all the oomph I need. The logic used to be to get a 1-2 year old refurb medium spec, or get a brand new fully loaded. Is that still where the best relative value is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd be concerned about losing OS support down the road, so even if it's only a year or two old, I still wouldn't go for an older model personally. I always go for the latest model but as low end as I need. That tends to be the best value. Definitely consider getting a refurb or if you can avail of the edu discount get the free Beats headphones and sell them if you don't want them.

Keep in mind that that if you purchase in Australia you won't be protected by Irish consumer law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3DataModem wrote: »
    The MBP seems only a tiny bit heavier these days than the air, and now it is my main work machine as well as personal machine, I want to ensure it has all the oomph I need. The logic used to be to get a 1-2 year old refurb medium spec, or get a brand new fully loaded. Is that still where the best relative value is?

Have a look in Dixons at the airport, you can get it tax free. When I went to Oz, prices at the airport were the same.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Have a look in Dixons at the airport, you can get it tax free. When I went to Oz, prices at the airport were the same.

I am thinking of getting in Oz and getting AppleCare. Basically gets me a fully loaded Mac plus 3 years warranty and insurance, available internationally, for 2070 Euro or so, compared to 2249 to get one here with no AppleCare. I already have a USBC charger from another MacBook so conversion not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

It sounds like you are doing light work on the laptop, but that you may need more RAM than what you have. Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop with less than 16GB, I see it as far more valuable than a 512GB SSD, as I can also pop in an external USB driver if I really need more space. I can't pop in more RAM.

If you are using a lot of tabs, I would really recommend 16GB of RAM.

Now that the Air has the better display, and you are not doing development, or video editing, it should be just fine for you.

I have 31 tabs currently open on an 4k external display, with another 7 on the laptop display of a 2015 MBP (w 16GB of RAM) and there isn't a sound of the fan. I understand that the new MacBook Airs are more powerful than my 2015 MBP.

If you buy in the EU, you automatically get two years warranty. Apple got into a lot of trouble a few years back for selling apple care as if it was three years cover when it was really only one year extra on top of what you already got. The EU cover does not cover accidental damage, not sure if Apple care covers that!

However, if you buy the laptop in Oz, you probably do not get the two years that you would get in the EU.

It sounds like you are doing light work on the laptop, but that you may need more RAM than what you have. .

Yeah it's nothing special. Basically:
    Mac Mail open
    Outlook open (two windows)
    VPN on and off periodically
    Discord open and constantly in use
    Excel and Word always open (local and online)
    Google docs, sheets, and slides
    MS Teams open and constantly in use, including VCs and calls
    A small number of browser windows TBH
    Omnigraffle
    Second monitor
    plus all the standard stuff (whatsapp, messages, time machine, notes, etc)
    A QT or online video running all day.

Maybe an air with more RAM would be fine. My air currently has 4GB.

I see I can get the following for 2919 AUD

Customise your 13‑inch MacBook Pro — Space Grey.
    1.4GHz quad-core eighth‑generation Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    512GB SSD storage
    Retina display with True Tone
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Touch Bar and Touch ID

Seems like a better bet than the one I have listed above. I can do a BYO on the Apple store in Oz and pick it up when I get there.

If you bought in Australia you'd get the same 1 year worldwide manufacturer's warranty as in Ireland and be covered under Australian consumer law which does allow claims up to 24 months at least (vs 6 years in Ireland). But it might be awkward making claims from Ireland. Outside the 1 year warranty, I'm not sure how Apple would deal with someone in Ireland who bought a Mac from them in Australia.

• Advertisement

If you bought in Australia you'd get the same 1 year worldwide manufacturer's warranty as in Ireland and be covered under Australian consumer law which does allow claims up to 24 months at least (vs 6 years in Ireland). But it might be awkward making claims from Ireland. Outside the 1 year warranty, I'm not sure how Apple would deal with someone in Ireland who bought a Mac from them in Australia.

If I'm getting it in Oz, I'll get applecare, which works worldwide for 3 years.

I travel a fair bit too (including UK, which will be outside EU soon enough) so having local support a boon, as I cannot be machineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

3DataModem wrote: »
    If I'm getting it in Oz, I'll get applecare, which works worldwide for 3 years.

I travel a fair bit too (including UK, which will be outside EU soon enough) so having local support a boon, as I cannot be machineless.

If you are not saving good money by getting it in Qz (with apple care), I would get it in the EU. Apple stand by the original warranty regardless of where you currently are. And as someone mentioned, if you can in anyway way say you are a student, or you are getting it for a friend that is a teacher, you will get something like 5% off and I think you get free beats headphones at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you buy in the EU, you automatically get two years warranty. Apple got into a lot of trouble a few years back for selling apple care as if it was three years cover when it was really only one year extra on top of what you already got. The EU cover does not cover accidental damage, not sure if Apple care covers that!

However, if you buy the laptop in Oz, you probably do not get the two years that you would get in the EU.

Not in Ireland, you don’t. We use the Sale of Goods Act. There is no automatic 2 year warranty.

if you can in anyway way say you are a student, or you are getting it for a friend that is a teacher.

Not possible alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It sounds like the OP isn’t in any immediate need of a new machine at the moment. While acknowledging there’s always something better around the corner (that’s often been a long corner with apple in recent times and with little pay off) I really think the OP could have regrets early next year if they purchase from the current crop now.

It sounds like the OP isn’t in any immediate need of a new machine at the moment. While acknowledging there’s always something better around the corner (that’s often been a long corner with apple in recent times and with little pay off) I really think the OP could have regrets early next year if they purchase from the current crop now.

I'm the OP, and I am in need. My current machine (2015 air, vanilla other than 256G SSD) has gone from being a super-light use personal machine to a personal and everyday work machine, and is showing the strain (loud, laggy under heavy multi-app use).

It seems my issue is RAM, but I do need the 512 SSD at least (I currently am close to bursting a 256 SSD plus a 256 always-in SD card). That means

I am considering (on the advice above) whether an air with 16GB RAM would suit better than a pro, but TBH they are not a whole lot cheaper or lighter.

My basic desire is to buy a machine that will last 5-6 years, and a budget of 400e per year is fine for something that will get 3000 hours of use or so per year.

So based on the 16GB ram and 512GB SSD I'm looking at a 2,289 pro or a 2,019 air, the difference between them being the pro is quad core, the pro display's a tiny bit better, the pro has a touch bar, and the air is a tiny bit lighter... oh and I can get the air in a pretty colour.

That seems to be the choice... unless anyone suggests otherwise?

You are expecting another MBA/MBP refresh early next year? I very much doubt it. The Air and the 13-inch Pro were just updated. The Air is a relatively new design and just got a price drop. The keyboard is the only outstanding issue with it and it's still apparently more reliable than the one on my second gen 12-inch MacBook which I've had no problems with. It'll probably be 10-14 months until the next update, so I think now is an ideal time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You are expecting another MBA/MBP refresh early next year? I very much doubt it. The Air and the 13-inch Pro were just updated. The Air is a relatively new design and just got a price drop. The keyboard is the only outstanding issue with it and it's still apparently more reliable than the one on my second gen 12-inch MacBook which I've had no problems with. It'll probably be 10-14 months until the next update, so I think now is an ideal time to buy.

I think Apple need to cycle out all models with butterfly keyboards ASAP. They’re proving extremely expensive to repair and the issue is wider than acknowledged. Production costs are high and yields are poor on even the newest design. As for the new machines, I’ve not heard anything myself, but fairly decent sources seem to indicate we’re in for a significant transition.

I think Apple need to cycle out all models with butterfly keyboards ASAP. They’re proving extremely expensive to repair and the issue is wider than acknowledged. Production costs are high and yields are poor on even the newest design. As for the new machines, I’ve not heard anything myself, but fairly decent sources seem to indicate we’re in for a significant transition.

Just saw Macrumors has a rumour from the supply chain suggesting another update in October, but I don't believe it for a second. While it wouldn't be unheard of it, it's pretty rare to get an early Mac refresh these days.

Just picked up the Mac in Australia.

Got the 13" quad core with upgrade to 16GB RAM and 1GB SSD, plus the applecare.

Saved 600 euro total (80 of that saving is the AppleCare difference).

Got another 300 AUD (180 euro) in a VAT refund when leaving the country.

That's a saving of 780 total on a 3k machine.

And more importantly, I am now running all my stuff and the difference is huge.

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement