Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Summerslam 2019 (Spoilers)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The main card has been a pretty reasonable length. I'm pleasantly surprised. Also good main event. Probably the match they wanted to have at Mania

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No attempted murder of Roman?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Who's ready for G1 finals in 3 and a half hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A pancake throwing gowl as the World Champion and this crying dork as Universal champion. Kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Meh enjoyed it

The crowd will turn against seth like they did pre roman leaving sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Wow a reasonable length for Summerslam, by God it's been a while. Pretty good one too.

-Becky vs Nattie.
    Submissions matches do nothing for me really, Sharpshooters looked dreadful, was just glad they didn't do any Screwjob references because Canada/Hart etc. Right result at least.
    -Goldberg's spear looked good, Dolph's selling was great. Ziggles becoming the Black Knight was actually funny. If old talent has to come back and bury people, I'm kind of okay with it being Dolph.
    -AJ vs. Ricochet, great match. I actually liked Ricochet's gear but maybe it was a bit much, going for a Nightwing look. Maybe lose the top when wrestling. Excited to see where Ricochet and AJ go next, this was the best match so far.
    -Bayley v Ember. Bayley is getting booed a lot lately and I'm not entirely sure why. Okay match, both are capable of better. Came alive a bit towards the end. Was expecting Sasha to pop up but looks like she really is gone. Bayley is in need of saving as a champ.
    -Owens vs. Shane. Nonsense match, all that ref stupidity ruined it. Same spot as Adam Cole yesterday too. Owens is crazy over, hope this means less Shane and more KO.
    -Charlotte vs. Trish. Trish looked great, don't think she has the stamina for a full match maybe but she gave it her all. Charlotte is generally only as good as her opponent but this was a good match even if it took a while to get there. Could have done with more heat.
    -Kofi vs. Randy. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. What a rubbish end. Oh and last years Summerslam also ended with the WWE Championship match ending without a conclusive winner and therefore the title stayed with the incumbent champ and also involved family heat. WWE really insult your intelligence To give a match that amount of time and then no finish is a slap in the face.
    -Bray vs Finn, Right. The Good; The Fiend is terrifying, that lantern is gonna give nightmares, moveset is different enough, dominant win. The Bad; I know most people like the theme, I don't. It needs a bit more edge, doesn't suit the horror tone. The Rest; This is something WWE have been missing but I have no confidence in them pulling off. Is the Fiend like the Demon, only for special occasions? When will we see Bray Wyatt and how. If he's forever the Fiend it will get old quick, there's still a big disconnect between Mr. Rogers Bray and Fiend IMO and could do with blurring those lines a bit. Hope, they don't run this into the ground as I think it could be a winner. Also minor note, Bray needs to keep his mouth closed a bit more while in mask the double mouth looks silly.
    -Rollins vs. Brock. Really great match, this should have been the Mania match. An injured Rollins beating Lesnar though, hmm. I've been put off Rollins as champ partly due to booking and partly due to his attitude online lately. I'll take it over Lesnar though and what would probably have been another Reigns/Lesnar WM. Let's hope this reign is better.

Overall, good event. Lot of talent left off, expected a surprise Reigns match. Mostly glad the show wasn't a slog (although I skipped the pre-show), it was very predictable but some interesting possibilities moving on, especially for Bray Wyatt and hoping that Clash of Champions isn't just another rematch-apalooza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

cian68 wrote: »
    Who's ready for G1 finals in 3 and a half hours?

Thank fcuk for the G1, that was a distinctly average Summerslam. The Fiend part was cool, thought Charlotte/Trish was really good too. Double countout finish in the WWE title match is laughable though, so bad. Expected way more this time from AJ/Ricochet too, and Ricochet's attire looked horrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

|The thing that struck me going into the show, and during the show itself, was quite how many "gimmee" matches there were, where the booking very clearly was "Give X wrestler a hard fought win over someone less valuable to extend their reign on".

Bayley with Ember, Becky and Nattie, Goldberg vs Ziggler, Bray vs Finn......every match looked set up to give the very obvious winner a bit of momentum by defeating someone who never really looked like someone who could have won. Charlotte vs Trish could have gone either way, but the legend going out on their back is a time honored trope. AJ/Ric and Brock/Seth were the only matches where I felt the winner wasn't blatantly obvious going in. Even Kofi vs Orton felt an obvious redemption story for Kofi too (even if they've delayed that end a bit).

And I think you can have one match like that. But you absolutely cannot have 6 or 7 on Summerslam. You can get away with it on B and C shows, but not one of the big four. There was so little tension right through the show, and that made it a weak show for me.

In terms of positives, Bray is awesome. Just a step beyond anyone else, character wise. And while I'm frustrated by Seth on TV, I'm way happier with him being champ than Brock. Just feel he needs a real and proper threat that isn't the overdone Brock.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Bray has had two great gimmicks and nothing to show for them. I can't envisage him winning the big one with this current one. I can't see The Fiend going on Good Morning America with the WWE Title slung over his shoulder or hanging out his mouth.

If characters like the Undertaker and Mankind were world champions, then the Fiend character can.

Also when was the last time you saw Brock Lesnar on Good Morning America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Bret Hart wishing good luck to Seth Rollins must be Hart's punishment for showing up on AEW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If NJPW done that Bray Wyatt segment the Internet would explode but as it’s WWE the reaction is very tame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If NJPW done that Bray Wyatt segment the Internet would explode but as it’s WWE the reaction is very tame

What are you talking about? The internet has exploded for it, it's all over Reddit with a bunch of the top posts. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Officer999 wrote: »
    If characters like the Undertaker and Mankind were world champions, then the Fiend character can.

True about the Undertaker or Mankind, but both the Undertaker and Mankind could cut a promo in the ring against their opponents. Imo the fiend should never ever speak a word whatsoever, let weird muscle man Bray do the talking for him so it's probably gonna be hard to book a championship feud with someone who doesn't speak or when the person that speaks for him only does so in recorded promos. You could compare him to mute Kane but he had Paul Bearer to do his talking for him.

Will the fiend be like the demon just appearing now and again

Think we will see the demon play mind games with the fiend/Wyatt leading to finns return. Prob return at Hell in a cell leading to a survivor series match

Officer999 wrote: »

Undertaker and Mankind were a totally different era. A much grungier time. Not the happy, clappy, smiley of today.

Brock Lesnar has a unique contract.

Reigns, Rollins, Cena, The Miz, Balor, Bellas, Becky, Charlotte etc all make fairly frequent appearances on morning/day time tv.

One thing is for sure, he won't be champion going into or coming out of Mania.

Reckon we will see a lot of 'fiend' costumes for the Halloween season

This will be a big merch seller I think

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is Alexa face now? Corey seemed to turn against her.

As good as I thought Trish did, Charlotte did seem to help her a lot. Though I think that's mainly in part to Charlotte being so gangly at times. I think because of her long legs the figure 4/8 doesn't look too painful.

As for Bayley getting booed, I think it's simply due to her character. One minute she's all nice then she supposedly gets edgier before going right back to being all nice. She's likeable but the "Aw shucks" character doesn't work for a lot of people.

I think showing the Roman attack video package was to keep people watching expecting him to turn up. Of course that would've been more likely if anyone else involved with that story was on the show, but outside Rowan and Buddy on the preshow, that wasn't happening.

Mean to say after Takeover, I see long haired guy grew a beard.

Owens vs McMahon will end in shenanigans

Orton vs Kofi will end in shenanigans

Are you happy now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are you happy now?!

More disappointed no one tried to murder Roman again I was hoping 3rd time lucky after the two previous murder attempts.

Well he wasn't there, so maybe they succeeded and it just wasn't caught on camera this time. They didn't mention it due to the fact they don't want to pi$$ off Fox

• Advertisement

Just going through the Watch along on youtube now. I'm wondering has anyone heard from Mat Riddle today? :) He was brilliant to watch.

Nikki entered while Street Profits were on yet she didn't seem to hear her name being mentioned. Angelo is a brave man. Not only because Nikki is crazy, but also she's married to Killian Dain.

Liked Matt calling back to curing Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

d00mk1n wrote: »
    Ciano 316 sucks

Long term booking. 7 years in the making.
    A guy I sat beside at wrestlemania 28 made that sign to say hello to me.
    I couldn't stop laughing when I seen it. He also said security took it off him soon after the first match. So random.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ciano316 wrote: »
    He also said security took it off him soon after the first match. So random.

Because even security knows you do not suck ;)

Nah. It's WWE pushing ciano316 down our throats even though the fans have turned on him

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Decent enough show better than I thought it would be..the 4 singles champions tho christ they are just so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Double count-out in a main title match at a big ppv is absolute horse manure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ShaneU wrote: »
    Double count-out in a main title match at a big ppv is absolute horse manure.

You got worked bro.

came across a thing on After hours of the UCD rugby team been thrown out of the blue jays stadium last night. Is that common to have the Summerslam/wrestling festivites on the same timeframe as baseball games. Going by google maps the stadium and arena are very close to each other

Dublin would shut down if 2 major events were going on at the same time ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesus that crowd was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Whoever put together the Nattie/Becky match deserves credit

Actually playing into the stip using an array of submissions that make the match memorable (turnbuckle sharpshooter)

working an opponents prior injury to set up your future finisher

playing off the crowd and the whole SCSA/Bret Hart submission links.

commentators were actually focused on the match and it had enough spots to keep attention, big superplex, Becky uses Nattie's own move on her etc, they were also given enough time and on early enough before the audience is burnt out. Got a this is awesome chant too.

I'm not always a fan of her farting cat lady character but when given a decent story Nattie can wrestle. Despite tapping she comes out of this much better than she went in and once Becky got her disarmer in she won and went over strong with the fans in Canada happy about it.

Continuing the start going straight into Trish makes sense and Damn that women always looks amazing, not much for a promo still though, they have to space out those matches though so next is Goldberg! really! cool these first two matches have my interest - this should be fast and hopefully I like Ziggler more afterwards and talk about him bumping like a boss.

Happy to see Dolph get offence in but this is going to be fast, near fall from the first move.

That was a proper Goldberg match and Dolph was interesting afterwards ha, how to have Goldberg go long, make him do a squash match 3 times in a row. Job done, crowd happy

Decent Night of champions AD but can't help but imagine it will be a more frustrating B PPV... but AJ vs Ricochet next, nice! Thought it might be something to make me lose interest but they are keeping me with the card order so far.

International announce teams... I now want Funaki to win the 24/7 title, oh and there is Drake... anyway they still have my attention and it'll probably not be too long a match now with Gallows and Anderson out there or at least different than a standard singles match of which they have many tonight.

AJ kind of has to win here. A loss won't hurt Ricochet but AJ with the rest of the OC at ringside and his opponent supposedly injured . Liked seeing the Anaconda vice being used and the announcers actually naming it. Like the last time these two fought it was a good enough match but somehow I expected more. I like seeing the vicious OC with all the belts attacking Ricochet though. Maybe they wasted them for too long but at least they are trying to rehab those 3 (Anderson & Gallows in particular) now.

Street Prophets continue to make the main roster audience aware of them and it may be nonsense but cos the show has been decent so far them Wooing with Flair gets a smile from me.

Then Bayley vs Amber Moon... First match with no promo package before and I feel it didn't have much of a storyline to it which is why I fear they may lose the crowd and I fear I may lose interest here even though both can put on a decent match. Maybe that's why the commentary team seemed a bit more generic/meh for this one and no surprise Bayley retained but at least her Bayley to Belly from the top rope looked decent for the finish.

KO vs Shane - despite them making Owens another SCSA (and his quitting stip) I don't really care too much about this fight but we might just get a crazy Shane O Mac stunt to write him off while KO gets put over and that would be nice. Elias & maybe Drew to get involved probably... yep confirmed shenanigans & Elias is guest enforcer.

half way through this match I tapped out, not necessarily a reflection on this match though I did decide it could wait till the next day...

most audible chants - "You can't wrestle" "Shane, You Suck!"
    1....2....ugh interference, just end it, KO deserves better than this match and I'm saying that as someone who usually doesn't mind Shane too much. That said I was happy it didn't get dragged out too much and Owens went over while Shane got kicked in the balls (no big spot).

Big Dawg recap. Rowan taking out Buddy Murphy makes sense and im happy to at least see Buddy being used.

3rd womens singles match of the night but im curious how they will mix it up to make this one interesting and different. Charlotte is good in ring but against Trish who was never really that great in the ring and isn't wrestling regularly. Guessing they will hope the Canadian crowd really get involved cos im not sure if those at home really care that much.

They wanted Becky/Nattie to be SCSA/Bret earlier and I think they were hoping for some sort of Rock/Hogan from Charlotte/Trish but a slow paced heel beatdown for the Canadian Trish just bored me in stead of getting me desperate for a comeback especially when I went into the match thinking Trish was going to put over the "current best". A surprise Trish win may be the one way to save it but there is more to gain for WWE in a Charlotte win.

Trish putting in the figure 8 was a nice spot but it did seem to confirm Trish was getting her licks in (followed by a stratusfaction near fall) before Charlotte overcomes her. Might work better if Charlotte wasn't the heel but if they use it properly afterwards pushing her I guess it's worth it and it's nice seeing a heel going over strong without cheating. Tapping via Charlotte's figure 8 seemed inevitable but worked.

Thank you Trish chants, thanks crowd she deserved that at the end of her last match. They gave everything time on this show to be fair.

Bret giving Seth a pep talk seemed odd for some reason but then I got distracted by even odder just seeing Hogan randomly show up without mention even if in a WWE AD.

Kofi/Orton next, won't be bad but I don't know if I care. Maybe they will surprise us but I don't see Randy Orton ending Kofi's run rigth now given their stupid stupid stupid story

"Kofi's stupid, randy sucks" dueling chants. Not much power of positivity there, I do like how Randy's character often is them just letting him have fun acting like an asshole. They did do a nice RKO spot it must be said and then Kofi rolling outside in front of his family seemed smart but I kinda agree with the fans that the DQ finish was BS, then we got Kofi snapping. It's character development at least but not much of a match ending

Finn/Bray. Should be interesting
    I can so see the OSW boys doing a version of Brays new entrance but its different and the fiend is being taken seriously by them so good I guess. The fiend, The new phenom? jos mew lantern looks mad too. Finn will sell for him so this might work. Crowd want to like it anyway, gotta love the Yowie Wowie chant and later let him in ones. Bray is doing good character work imo and Finn put his new finisher over. I think this worked even if it might be a bit much for some. Segment got a big cheer at the end and then a that was awesome chant as Balor left.

The Main Event - No more than 20m but that's long for Brock esp when his opponent is selling an injury. Both lead to good and bad things in this match as I enjoy different styles of Lesnar matches and this wasn't his standard fare but him losing to someone carrying injuries doesn't seem right but they are putting the gold back on the full timer which is good and fair play to Brock taking a Frog splash on a table and more than one curb stomp keeps him somewhat strong but Seth benefits much more from winning.

Advertisement