Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2020 new motor tax scale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I read to today that as long as Leo is in power he will rise carbon tax every year.
    And the clown attempting to close down Dublin tomorrow will only give them further encouragement.
    If you stand back from all this, it's actually quite funny the number of people happy and willing to stump up these taxes in the name of green thinking.
    I can certainly understand why governments will run with it. Large numbers not just happy to pay carbon tax but actively looking for it to be Increased and those same people then getting on the case of those who don't agree. I mean it's the dream scenario from the point of view of the tax collectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What’s going on in Dublin tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Trucks capped at €500, taxis €108, tractors €333, motorhomes only €102.

Why is a Golf GTI more expensive to tax than a Scania? This is purely an emissions based tax but it's brushed off on trucks and the like. On top of that EVs are zero emission vehicles but have emissions based VRT and motor tax on them?

Just a correction tractors/excavators €105.
    To answer your question - business is business :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Trucks capped at €500, taxis €108, tractors €333, motorhomes only €102.

Why is a Golf GTI more expensive to tax than a Scania? This is purely an emissions based tax but it's brushed off on trucks and the like. On top of that EVs are zero emission vehicles but have emissions based VRT and motor tax on them?

Taxi is €95 for the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Farmers looked after, hauliers looked after, taxis looked after.

The ordinary man and woman who have no other choice but to drive to their job because our transport network outside the bubble of Dublin is utter sh1te - fcuked over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Solution would be to abolish car tax replace it with a flat registration yearly fee say 50 p.a. then transfer the shortfall onto fuels at the pump. The more you burn the more you pay could also apply to electricity. Much greener policy too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If our government could somehow block out the sun and charge you for it they would, they did it with water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

saabsaab wrote: »
    Solution would be to abolish car tax replace it with a flat registration yearly fee say 50 p.a. then transfer the shortfall onto fuels at the pump. The more you burn the more you pay could also apply to electricity. Much greener policy too..

They tried that before. (FF ,Jack Lynch, 1977)
    Motortax was abolished, and it was put onto fuel.

What happened, they reintroduced motortax, and the additional tax stayed in the fuel.

As for the €50pa charge., Give it a few years and it would be 60, then 70, then 100, then ... Well, even a blind man can see where this goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Micky 32 wrote: »
    What’s going on in Dublin tomorrow?

Some layabouts going to block up the roads in the city to protest about the weather constantly changing.

They are probably so dumb as to actually block public transport too.

The army should be out and intern every single one of them in Kilmainham Gaol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Some layabouts going to block up the roads in the city to protest about the weather constantly changing.

I can see lots of them in the morning arriving late to the blockade because mammy's SUV got caught in the traffic caused by the blockade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Won't that cause huge traffic jams meaning more vehicles sitting there with their engines on spewing pollution? :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Putting the tax onto fuel (show a link if this is incorrect) wasn't tried before. Car tax was abolished on smaller engines from 1977.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Putting the tax onto fuel (show a link if this is incorrect) wasn't tried before. Car tax was abolished on smaller engines from 1977.

You are correct replacing motor tax with fuel tax has not been tried.

In 1978 following a commitment in the Fianna Fail manifesto in the 1977 general election motor tax was abolished. It was replaced by a registration charge fixed at £5 per car and £1 per motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Murof wrote: »
    Farmers looked after, hauliers looked after, taxis looked after.

The ordinary man and woman who have no other choice but to drive to their job because our transport network outside the bubble of Dublin is utter sh1te - fcuked over!

Farmers don't drive tractors for fun!, they drive them to create cheap food for you to eat!, by all means increase the road tax on tractors if you are prepared to pay more for food, a tractor is a tool, there are NO alternatives!

ml100 wrote: »
    Farmers don't drive tractors for fun!, they drive them to create cheap food for you to eat!, by all means increase the road tax on tractors if you are prepared to pay more for food, a tractor is a tool, there are NO alternatives!
    I have no alternative but to use my car to get to work. It's not that fun either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The climate change protesters some of you may disagree with , but our morons in power only care about reelection here, they’ll do nothing about it , unless pressured. We have a very poor record environmentally here. Fuel is still too cheap to change behavior...

That might be as simple as a quick walk to the shops instead of a lazy drive , carpooling, deciding to take public transport etc. and all this hysteria about 2c on a liter of fuel , I bought a liter of petrol in Dublin earlier this year for 118c, it’s now 148c, mysteriously people are still driving and you’ve heard barely a peep in the media about it...

........... there's been cheap motor tax options on quite nice cars since 2008. Up until then mundane 1.3/1.4 stuff was relatively cheap to tax.

There's always something to moan about but I'm not sure motor tax is such a huge issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Augeo wrote: »
    ........... there's been cheap motor tax options on quite nice cars since 2008. Up until then mundane 1.3/1.4 stuff was relatively cheap to tax.

There's always something to moan about but I'm not sure motor tax is such a huge issue.

Its a big issue for people who cannot afford newer cars. The vast majority of people driving pre 08 cars on the old tax system are doing so because they can’t afford a newer car. Those driving 1.9/2.0 cars have paid over €7000 in tax so far, a figure the government will never recoup from
    Some one driving a post 08 car on a 1/4 of the tax rate for the same size engine. There should be a cap of €500 on pre 08 cars. The state have already had more than their fare share from those drivers. Increasing the tax is only further punishing those who can’t afford anything else and there are a lot of people that fall into that category!!

I have no alternative but to use my car to get to work. It's not that fun either.

Plus it's fair to point out that farmers can use a commercial jeep or van to tip around in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

IMO, sales are down because the new car buyer is eyeing up the shift to electric cars. The type of car they want isn't available yet in electric form, or isn't at a price point they're able to meet, so they wait. The new changes would benefit electric and PHEV prices (from what i've read and understand), but the options are just too limited at the moment. Perhaps garages just aren't selling what the customer wants.

This exactly. I need a newer car but I'm holding off for 2 years. The car I want is due to be released next year and I'm waiting a year to see if there are any issues. My existing 10 and 11 year old cars will have to do, hopefully.

Its a big issue for people who cannot afford newer cars. The vast majority of people driving pre 08 cars on the old tax system are doing so because they can’t afford a newer car. .............................Increasing the tax is only further punishing those who can’t afford anything else and there are a lot of people that fall into that category!!

I really doubt there is a lot of people who can't afford a cheap to tax post 08 car tbh.

Especially if they are paying €700/annum to tax their current thing.

A 2008 reg is now going on 12 years old........... firmly into bangernomics territory.

This exactly. I need a newer car but I'm holding off for 2 years. The car I want is due to be released next year and I'm waiting a year to see if there are any issues. My existing 10 and 11 year old cars will have to do, hopefully.

Just anecdotally from talking to people you are not alone.

If your cars are at that age they have already suffered the worst of depreciation. Even if you have to spend a few hundred on repairs to keep them going it will be less than the depreciation on a newer replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Totally agree with the above post. Also it’s all well and good saying you can’t afford a newer car to save a few euro on motor tax. Many of the new cars on the road cost a fortune in depreciation and loan interest, the motor tax is an insignificance in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I really doubt there is a lot of people who can't afford a cheap to tax post 08 car tbh.

Especially if they are paying €700/annum to tax their current thing.

A 2008 reg is now going on 12 years old........... firmly into bangernomics territory.

Part of the issue is the vast majority are diesels which only suit certain kinds of driving and are also getting to the age when they need expensive repairs and the likes of new DPF's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Taxed my 04 1.6 petrol yesterday, 514 for the year. I'd do well to get that if I sold it.
    Lets see what today brings. Guess I'm keeping it for a few more months!

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Part of the issue is the vast majority are diesels which only suit certain kinds of driving and are also getting to the age when they need expensive repairs and the likes of new DPF's.

Oh .... I'm not disputing there's a cost to motoring.
    There's varying costs of depreciation, insurance, motor tax, fuel consumption and repairs depending on what you drive.
    Folk reckoning motor tax is a significant one are talking sh1te IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Oh .... I'm not disputing there's a cost to motoring.
    There's varying costs of depreciation, insurance, motor tax, fuel consumption and repairs depending on what you drive.

Please explain to me how €1200 or €2350 per annum is not a significant cost of motoring? That's a bundle of cash when you can get a dirtier and less reliable diesel for €190. It's an absurd amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

It's all just revenue
    The government don't give a s**** about the environment
    Milk people for more
    Keep milking till you have nothing left to give
    I would rather drive an older car that is reliable
    Unfortunately in this kip you get punished for it

elperello wrote: »
    Plus it's fair to point out that farmers can use a commercial jeep or van to tip around in.
    That are full of green diesel. Poor farmers, can't catch a break. :rolleyes:

That are full of green diesel. Poor farmers, can't catch a break. :rolleyes:

I don't know any farmers that will risk green diesel. I'm sure there are some gob****es doing it but not many. The fines are massive if you are caught. Revenue dip around here regularly.

Or are you just another bitter city dweller who doesn't understand farming at all and thinks capital = I come?

• Advertisement

MTBD wrote: »
    Please explain to me how €1200 or €2350 per annum is not a significant cost of motoring? That's a bundle of cash when you can get a dirtier and less reliable diesel for €190. It's an absurd amount of money.

We were discussing folk paying up to €700/annum.
    If you sign up to pay €1200 or €2350 per annum then presumably you can afford it.
    €2350 per annum is at the extreme end. ........... in the context of what a €2350/annum car to tax depreciates €2350 is small beans too. If you've bought a depreciated one than the purchase priice reflects the motor tax rates........... boom boom.

If you sign up to pay €1200 or €2350 per annum then presumably you can afford it.
    €2350 per annum is at the extreme end.

Almost every petrol car over 2.0 fell into these top two bands in the recession years. Even a Renault Clio 182 was €1200 a year. Hardly luxury car. There are almost no cars registered between 2008 and 2014 that I would be interested in as they forced reliable powerful petrol cars off the road. So your options are almost exclusively dirty and unreliable diesels if you want to buy a car over 5 years old.

The scale is idiotic. It goes up so disproportionately relative to the increases in co2 that it makes a complete nonsense of it. I don't get why people like you want to punish people who want a moderately nice car that is reliable.

I don't know any farmers that will risk green diesel. I'm sure there are some gob****es doing it but not many. The fines are massive if you are caught. Revenue dip around here regularly.

Or are you just another bitter city dweller who doesn't understand farming at all and thinks capital = I come?
    I live in the arse-hole of nowhere. A lot of farmers around me drive their cars and jeeps on the green stuff. Never once seen a checkpoint for customs. I'm pretty sure a lot don't even tax their sh1t box tractors either.

Farmers want everything for nothing. Biggest bunch of moaners in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

the only person talking that is you actually.

My 2003 car is €1809 p.a. I did 1,500kms in it. It is, to all intents & purposes, unsaleable.

your comment of 'being able to afford it' is pure ignorance.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

.......... I don't get why people like you want to punish people who want a moderately nice car that is reliable.

I think you're gone a tad OTT there.
    People like me?
    Punish people?

It's tax, folk don't like paying it.

If you want to drive a powerful petrol car registered between 2008 and 2014 there are options which aren't prohibitively high to tax.........

Golf GTI, €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/201907220321252

Lexus is300h, €190/annum motor tax

Audi A4 for €6k ........ €390/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a4/fpa/201910012820927

Audi TT for €6k ........ €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/tt/fpa/201909011731325

Toyota GT86 for €17k ........ €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/gt86/fpa/201903286366301

So you mention, petrol, powerful and 2008 to 2014....... considering the UK is but a short flight away and ferry trip back home I suppose you'll have to add other criteria to maintain your theory that you're being punished or whatever. ........ unless you want to spend SFA on this high powered, petrol car that's 11 to 5 years old??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

galwaytt wrote: »

My 2003 car is €1809 p.a. I did 1,500kms in it. It is, to all intents & purposes, unsaleable.

As is mine, 1494 per year on a 2006 car. Apart from a company car I've never had a 2008+ car and the benefits that come with cheap tax. I'd be interested to hear from anyone if thats "fair". My car is essentially worth ZERO.

Do tell us what it is and when you bought it, and for how much.
    We'll then be able to quantify the sh1t you might be talking.

For a start the thing is 16 years old.....most folk don't aspire to own or drive a 16 year old car.

You can pay 1809 to tax a car you drove 1500kms in but you can't afford to change it? FFS, total lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads as Augeo has said the reason luxobarges are so cheap here is the tax regime, we have the cheapest old s classes and 7 series in europe, its swings and roundabouts. if they changed the tax system for older cars you can be sure their value would increase.

€2350 per annum is at the extreme end. ........... in the context of what a €2350/annum car to tax depreciates €2350 is small beans too. If you've bought a depreciated one than the purchase priice reflects the motor tax rates........... boom boom.

Tax is a big cash flow issue for people depreciation is not that is why people look
    For cheap tax as it’s a big day to day expense which people feel far more than deprecation.

Do tell us what it is and when you bought it, and for how much.
    We'll then be able to quantify the sh1t you might be talking.........

A week ago you mentioned a 996 .........
    All well & good, and I have a very large 5-figure repair bill for my 996 in my recent past, so whilst a marque fan, I'm not blinded to their weaknesses..

Please don't tell me you are b1tching and moaning about the motor tax on your Porshe 996 in the context of folk not being able to afford to tax their daily driver.

• Advertisement

For cheap tax as it’s a big day to day expense which people feel far more than deprecation.

€1000/annum is €20/week.
    There's not too many folk who drive cars that depreciate less then €1000/annum............ and there's less people paying €1000/annum in motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

No changes to motor tax it seems.

Folk can untwist their knickers now :pac:
    Unless they expected it to get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Take for example an 07 Golf tdi tax €673 same car on an 08 plate €280, cant see why a person has to pay more because the drive an identical car that just happens to be a year older. It's a stupid system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think you're gone a tad OTT there.
    People like me?
    Punish people?

It's tax, folk don't like paying it.

If you want to drive a powerful petrol car registered between 2008 and 2014 there are options which aren't prohibitively high to tax.........

Golf GTI, €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/201907220321252

Lexus is300h, €190/annum motor tax

Audi A4 for €6k ........ €390/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a4/fpa/201910012820927

Audi TT for €6k ........ €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/tt/fpa/201909011731325

Toyota GT86 for €17k ........ €750/annum motor tax
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/gt86/fpa/201903286366301

So you mention, petrol, powerful and 2008 to 2014....... considering the UK is but a short flight away and ferry trip back home I suppose you'll have to add other criteria to maintain your theory that you're being punished or whatever. ........ unless you want to spend SFA on this high powered, petrol car that's 11 to 5 years old??

None of those are powerful.

kona wrote: »
    None of those are powerful.

I'd imagine the chap I was replying to doesn't have anything more exotic in mind tbh. He mentioned a Clio 182.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'd imagine the chap I was replying to doesn't have anything more exotic in mind tbh. He mentioned a Clio 182.

Odd alright considering a 182 is 710 a year and wernt made after 2005!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah I'd say that's with the election in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Shur they got more off us by sticking it on petrol and diesel.

• Advertisement

Shur they got more off us by sticking it on petrol and diesel.

I wonder how much they'll actually increase to at the pump.

Advertisement