Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2020 new motor tax scale

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

This seems to be the best site to get NOX figures:

http://www.emissionsfinder.com/manufacturers

According to the examples given in the Irish Times, anything over the 81mg/Km threshold will have a starting figure of €600 due

80mg = €600 (60mg x €5 =€300, 20mg x €15=€300)

For cars 81mg and above, subtract 80 from the figure, apply lubricant and multiply by 25 to get your result.
    There is a cap of €4850 cap on the tax.

There's a Merc I've had marked out as my next car which at 146mg/km, that's an additional €2250 on top of VRT of €3655

I'd always been tempted to get a 3.0 D4D Prado Ladndcruiser, but at 320mg/Km it would top out at the €4850 cap.

There's a few other cars that cap out as well, the pre 09' 2.0 D4D Toyota Avensis, probably the most popular taxi of the time is one.

And I wonder if pre 2000/Euro III cars automatically get the maximum capped rate, as NOx figures don't seem to be available for them.

This seems to be the best site to get NOX figures:

http://www.emissionsfinder.com/manufacturers

According to the examples given in the Irish Times, anything over the 81mg/Km threshold will have a starting figure of €600 due

80mg = €600 (60mg x €5 =€300, 20mg x €15=€300)

For cars 81mg and above, subtract 80 from the figure, apply lubricant and multiply by 25 to get your result.
    There is a cap of €4850 cap on the tax.

There's a Merc I've had marked out as my next car which at 146mg/km, that's an additional €2250 on top of VRT of €3655

I'd always been tempted to get a 3.0 D4D Prado Ladndcruiser, but at 320mg/Km it would top out at the €4850 cap.

There's a few other cars that cap out as well, the pre 09' 2.0 D4D Toyota Avensis, probably the most popular taxi of the time is one.

And I wonder if pre 2000/Euro III cars automatically get the maximum capped rate, as NOx figures don't seem to be available for them.

Does that mean someone with say a 2014 Golf 1.6TDI (118 nox) will have a fee of 1882 euro next time it’s due motor tax? Or is that an import tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does that mean someone with say a 2014 Golf 1.6TDI (118 nox) will have a fee of 1882 euro next time it’s due motor tax? Or is that an import tax?

It's a tax on top of vrt for imports, the person in the 14 golfs tax will remain the same.
    Their release value might be better as well as it'll be more expensive import one.

Is the NOx surcharge applied to commercials also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ignoring the green aspects of the NBP?
    remote working = reduced transport emissions.

The EU caused us to have to set targets in the first place

I cannot remotely build a house. Or an ambulance. Or a medical device. Or milk cows. Or bake bread.

the amount of people who will benefit by remote working in this country is tiny.

And that's before we even mention......"broadband"....speeds/availability. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I was told that the Porsche is not listed for some reason.

no Porsches are listed: you must import, present, then they send info on your car to Rosslare and a few days later you'll be told what the VRT is.
    Which you'll appeal.

It's a complete crapshoot basically.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Carbon Tax is there to do two things:

1. Change behaviour - get people to go to low carbon alternatives, or reduce carbon consumption. Walk, cycle, or go electric, or at least go for a lower carbon alternative. The current rate is not enough to achieve much of this, but it will in time.

2. Provide a fund to take mitigating actions, like insulate homes to get the BER figures into the A range rather than the F or G that some houses are in. This is the area that will have the greatest effect, and the one they should be concentrating on. Being green should be about lowering costs - use less fuel is cheaper than wasting it.

Solar and wind is free once the capital is paid off.

Also NOx is about health - it causes health problems that are severe and needs to be eliminated anyway.

it is none of the above. it's a cash grab, pure & simple.

You cannot modify behaviour in the absence of alternatives. Rural and small town Ireland has neither. All they've done is taxed work and education. Commuting will still happen, unchanged. 22k people a day alone into Galway.

If you believe any funding will be ring fenced, you're deluded. This is Ireland. Remember what they did with the Pension Reserve ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the NOx surcharge applied to commercials also?

Doubt it, emissions never come in to play on commercial imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Commercial vehicles should be taxed accordingly. Screwing over private motorists and banning plastic straws isn't going to save the planet.

If they want revenue then get some ****ing speed cameras on the M50, N4. Red light cameras at bush junctions and also how about the Gardai give a ****e about traffic watch reports and send out more fines rather than the supervisor fobbing it off? If they want to generate revenue there's ways they can do it. But then they'd probably offer it to a private company and we'd end up bleeding money, as usual...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

cash grab pure and simple , a lazy one at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Commercial vehicles should be taxed accordingly. Screwing over private motorists and banning plastic straws isn't going to save the planet.

If they want revenue then get some ****ing speed cameras on the M50, N4. Red light cameras at bush junctions and also how about the Gardai give a ****e about traffic watch reports and send out more fines rather than the supervisor fobbing it off? If they want to generate revenue there's ways they can do it. But then they'd probably offer it to a private company and we'd end up bleeding money, as usual...
    OT: but the replacement straws are not even recyclable :D#ecomental

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

galwaytt wrote: »
    it is none of the above. it's a cash grab, pure & simple.

You cannot modify behaviour in the absence of alternatives. Rural and small town Ireland has neither. All they've done is taxed work and education. Commuting will still happen, unchanged. 22k people a day alone into Galway.

If you believe any funding will be ring fenced, you're deluded. This is Ireland. Remember what they did with the Pension Reserve ??

Well, there is always the alternative of other action.

For example, when you change car, the new one will be selected by, among other things, cost. If the greener choice is cheaper, then there is a greater chance it will be selected.

If working a long way from home requiring a long commute, then perhaps a job nearer home, or some element of home working might be better.

Insulating your home will save heating cost - the CT should be used to subsidize this. If many homes are well insulated, it will reduce our energy consumption.

It is not necessarily a money grab, but I can understand that you might see it that way.

I cannot remotely build a ................Or a medical device................
    the amount of people who will benefit by remote working in this country is tiny.

............ ...
    ........ 22k people a day alone into Galway.

There's 3000 people on site in one of the largest manufacturing sites of medical devices in the country. Boston Scientific, Galway........ I reckon less than half actually are in production or roles where they need to be on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I cannot remotely build a house. Or an ambulance. Or a medical device. Or milk cows. Or bake bread.

And that's before we even mention......"broadband"....speeds/availability. ...

Wasnt there hundreds of thousands employed by MNC in the fintech and pharma spaces?
    I imagine the days of Irish jobs doing manual labor are long gone.

I could work remotely for 5 days a week if I wanted, and I'm a mere strategy & risk analyst. Same for anyone I know working in similar roles.

How many of us needlessly travel in and out at peak times I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Just working out the new NOX on imports....

Take a 2008 Fiesta 1.6TDCI
    Nox of 192 mg/km

80mg is €600
    112mg x 25 is €2,800

So it'll be an extra €3,400 in ADDITION to the €700 odd VRT?

What the actual ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

E36Ross wrote: »

Nox of 192 mg/km

80mg is €600
    112mg x 25 is €2,800

What the actual ****?

Where u get the nox value? I think there’s going to be loads buying before dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

E36Ross wrote: »

Nox of 192 mg/km

80mg is €600
    112mg x 25 is €2,800

What the actual ****?

That's the idea to stop the older cars coming into the country.
    Saying that there is some 2014/15 that has high NOx emissions too, so it's not just old cars that has high NOx levels, i can see a lot of people getting caught out with this.

But it’s all for the environment, that’s why they’re also reducing the cost of electr...... oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How many people are actually importing 10 or 11 year old diesel cars from the UK?

This is nothing more than an appease for the whinging SIMI to make UK used imports less good value than similar used cars here.

• Advertisement

Plenty of 4 and 5 year old cars too that will get hammered with the new tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Which are what the majority of people are importing. It's just another tax conveniently listed as a carbon tax, to make them less attractive to import over buying the same used car here.

The SIMI boys got their way allright, The likes of an 2014 A4 €2275 NOx tax plus VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

bazz26 wrote: »
    How many people are actually importing 10 or 11 year old diesel cars from the UK?

This is nothing more than an appease for the whinging SIMI to make UK used imports less good value than similar used cars here.

Breakdown of the 87,750 so far YTD by age here:

Current Year 1,044
    1 year old 6,902
    2 years old 8,314
    3 years old 16,439
    4-5 years old 28,265
    6-9 years old 22,457
    10 years + 4,302

So to answer your question - less than 5% of total used imports in 2019 are > 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RedorDead wrote: »
    Breakdown of the 87,750 so far YTD by age here:

Current Year 1,044
    1 year old 6,902
    2 years old 8,314
    3 years old 16,439
    4-5 years old 28,265
    6-9 years old 22,457
    10 years + 4,302

So to answer your question - less than 5% of total used imports in 2019 are > 10 years old.

Thanks for that.
    Is there a list showing Nox emissions for all car models?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Is that emissions finder website accurate? I'm looking at some older petrol cars and they are giving very high Nox readings. I thought petrol cars had negligible Nox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MTBD wrote: »
    Is that emissions finder website accurate? I'm looking at some older petrol cars and they are giving very high Nox readings. I thought petrol cars had negligible Nox?
    It depends on just how old. Anything Euro5 petrol should be fine, Euro6 necessary for any Diesels going forward. I’d say the UK auction houses are ****ting it. You’re probably talking 15-20% of their diesels coming this way up to now.

MTBD wrote: »

I don't know how accurate it is but for a few models I looked up it appears to be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 miss jenny2010

Do you have to pay vat when importing a car from northern Ireland

No because they are in the transition period to Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes if the car is less than 6 months from date of first registration OR has less than 6000km on the clock.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Esel wrote: »
    Yes if the car is less than 6 months from date of first registration OR has less than 6000km on the clock.

The 6,000 km is on presentation for VRT not on import.

Advertisement