Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare Daly hires son of Mick Wallace as her assistant in EU office

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Once again, doesn't someone realize this lad was kicked out of a Stillorgan school for the Facebook scandal?

Or does Mick Wallace have more than one son?

No I hadn't heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

No I hadn't heard of it.

Well I joined the school back in 2012 a few months after it happened. It was Oatlands in Stillorgan.

They expelled Wallace's son and a few others who were in 6th year for making a Facebook page about sexual remarks and teachers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I don't think its him. This particular son is in his 30s from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I don't think its him. This particular son is in his 30s from what I understand.

He might have repeated a few years. Repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

there could be other right people who aren't the relations of politicians
    There could. But you're implying a kind of reverse nepotism here, that people should be barred from holding a job because of who they know or why they are.

Yes, we should aim to reduce nepotism. But we also have to acknowledge the realities of most occupations - people tend to get to know eachother in industries. In something which is as niche as politics, you find connections everywhere. In fact, you will find it virtually impossible for some roles to find a suitable candidate who is not a friend of a poltician, or son/daughter/brother/mother of another politician.

If hard and fast rules were to say that politicians are not allowed to appoint assistants with whom they have previous knowledge, then nobody will ever be able to find an assistant and no assistants will ever have more than one job.

The reality here is that Wallace Jr. is not related to Ms. Daly. He is the son of a friend of hers, there is no legal or blood link between them. And she has likely had some level of professional interaction with him in the past.

Thus if he is qualified to do the role, there is no valid reason to disallow his appointment.

We shouldn't allow politicians to appoint family members. Even if they are qualified, there are obvious corruption, confidentiality and transparency issues.

But to extend this to friends and friends of friends, you're getting in weird territory where you're forcing people to hire worse candidates than are available in the market, and restricting the ability of people to get hired.

To combat non-relation nepotism, I'm of the opinion that all political hirings should be subject to independent oversight. The politician declares the work the person will be doing, the salary they are to be paid, and declares all current or previous personal or professonal relationships with the candidate.

A board then interviews the candidate to assess whether they are qualified for the work they are being hired for, and whether the salary to be paid is appropriate. Any failure to declare a relationship with a candidate is referred to SIPO. If the board is of the opinion that the candidate is completely unfit or the salary is way over the odds, the appointment is denied and it's reported to SIPO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Claire Daly is just the same as any other politician. She’s there to feather her own nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    So when was she talking in the Dail about crony appointments to the European Parliament? Was it before or after she was elected to the European Parliament, and was she collecting two salaries at the time?

Great to see you calling her out on her cronyism. About time you took the right side Blanch. I look forward to teaming up on future and current shenanigans carried out by politicians taking the mick, (or his son).

Claire Daly is just the same as any other politician. She’s there to feather her own nest.

I think that's defeatist. As disappointing as this is she's done a great service for the Irish public in her time IMO. I'd have her head and shoulders above any FF/FG wasters like Bailey, Varadkar and Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Getting back to the real issues here, how long have herself and Mick being going out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

I think that's defeatist. As disappointing as this is she's done a great service for the Irish public in her time IMO. I'd have her head and shoulders above any FF/FG wasters like Bailey, Varadkar and Fitzgerald.

That's exactly what I was saying about the team. She's getting close to a free pass from you because she's done something else you like. Imagine if Leo appointed the son of a tax fraud developer like Mick? The ctrl + v keys would be worn out.

you value non-contributing showboaters hurling from the ditch ahead of the people who have to do the unpleasant job of actually getting anything done in imperfect curcumstances

fine, its your preference. nothing to be proud of imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Getting back to the real issues here, how long have herself and Mick being going out?

Well the first reports of them eating together in fancy restaurants surfaced way back in 2011. But do you actually mean 'staying in'?;)

christy c wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was saying about the team. She's getting close to a free pass from you because she's done something else you like. Imagine if Leo appointed the son of a tax fraud developer like Mick? The ctrl + v keys would be worn out.

I appreciate your interest in me but my dance card is full.
    You have a different idea of what team means to me in the political context.
    It's supporting and defending a party despite any failings. It's attacking everyone not in that party. Like the way you seem to only appear now and then to defend government or knock those criticising government.
    What issue have you got with my criticising Daly for the hire and saying she's still above others I mentioned? I credit Coveney for his stance on Israel, does that mean I'm a blueshirt now? FF/FG are in a different league. They failed Ireland time and again, they garner more comment. When FG are out I'll post on them less. I don't rate Wallace. I think he's more about sticking it to the man than helping improve society. I can't think of anything positive to say about Varadkar. I commended him for something a few months back. I think it was him accepting that if any on the waiting list are faking it, it's a small amount or something like that.
    I think you are tripping over yourself in the rush to call me out or something. My opinions are my opinions. I don't have a party. I use to support Labour and the last big party I gave a number one to was Fine Gael. Where do we go from here Christy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well the first reports of them eating together in fancy restaurants surfaced way back in 2011. But do you actually mean 'staying in'?;)
    No going out or like they called it years ago 'walking out '.

Netflix and chill give out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No going out or like they called it years ago 'walking out '.

Well AFAIK neither has ever publicly admitted to any romantic involvement so can they be said to be 'going out' at all?

I appreciate your interest in me but my dance card is full.
    You have a different idea of what team means to me in the political context.
    It's supporting and defending a party despite any failings. It's attacking everyone not in that party. Like the way you seem to only appear now and then to defend government or knock those criticising government.
    What issue have you got with my criticising Daly for the hire and saying she's still above others I mentioned? I credit Coveney for his stance on Israel, does that mean I'm a blueshirt now? FF/FG are in a different league. They failed Ireland time and again, they garner more comment. When FG are out I'll post on them less. I don't rate Wallace. I think he's more about sticking it to the man than helping improve society. I can't think of anything positive to say about Varadkar. I commended him for something a few months back. I think it was him accepting that if any on the waiting list are faking it, it's a small amount or something like that.
    I think you are tripping over yourself in the rush to call me out or something. My opinions are my opinions. I don't have a party. I use to support Labour and the last big party I gave a number one to was Fine Gael. Where do we go from here Christy?

Don't worry, haven't really much interest in you Matt. I find it amusing that similar to Daly, you don't seem to be any better than the people you criticise. In this case you seem to have double standards, if this were FG, we'd be hearing about this for months/years to come. How often have you posted about "looking after their own"? Yet here we get a tame "not a fan" followed by hearing how good of service she was apart from this.

Where do we go from here? I've said it before, I think the standard of Irish politics is poor. But vote for who you think is best and it might improve (best of a bad lot). Of course people have different criteria for how to determine who is best, but that's personal choice. But one thing I'm fairly sure of, voting for spoofers like Mick and Clare isn't the way to go.

you value non-contributing showboaters hurling from the ditch ahead of the people who have to do the unpleasant job of actually getting anything done in imperfect curcumstances

fine, its your preference. nothing to be proud of imo.

No value? Bailey, Varadkar, Fitzgerald give value? Got what done? Sat idle while McCabe's life was made hell and the Garda policed themselves into disrepute? Overseeing record breaking crises? Daly was great on behalf of the Irish people railing against incompetent Garda and lackluster government IMO.

Personalised gibberish. Fair enough. Proved my point.

Personalised gibberish. Fair enough. Proved my point.

Haha, I commented on what you posted in the past and what you posted in this thread and pointed out the different standards being applied. I fail to see where the gibberish was.

Haha, I commented on what you posted in the past and what you posted in this thread and pointed out the different standards being applied. I fail to see where the gibberish was.

I'm not interested in your views of me, handsome as I am, only any issues. You are a government shill, but I still answer you when you come out with your queries even though you never post an opinion off your own back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are a government shill, but I still answer you when you come out with your queries even though you never post an opinion off your own back.

Less of the “shill” comments please.

dudara

I'm not interested in your views of me, handsome as I am, only any issues. You are a government shill, but I still answer you when you come out with your queries even though you never post an opinion off your own back.

You seem to have the wrong end of the stick as usual, I don't point out your lies/hypocrisy/waffle because I think it might be of interest to you- it's usually because they stick out like a sore thumb when I'm reading through a thread.

As regards me being a shill? You got me, Fine Gael set up my account before they were even in government all so I could post a handful of comments on political matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

seamus wrote: »
    There could. But you're implying a kind of reverse nepotism here, that people should be barred from holding a job because of who they know or why they are.

Yes, we should aim to reduce nepotism. But we also have to acknowledge the realities of most occupations - people tend to get to know eachother in industries. In something which is as niche as politics, you find connections everywhere. In fact, you will find it virtually impossible for some roles to find a suitable candidate who is not a friend of a poltician, or son/daughter/brother/mother of another politician.

If hard and fast rules were to say that politicians are not allowed to appoint assistants with whom they have previous knowledge, then nobody will ever be able to find an assistant and no assistants will ever have more than one job.

The reality here is that Wallace Jr. is not related to Ms. Daly. He is the son of a friend of hers, there is no legal or blood link between them. And she has likely had some level of professional interaction with him in the past.

Thus if he is qualified to do the role, there is no valid reason to disallow his appointment.

We shouldn't allow politicians to appoint family members. Even if they are qualified, there are obvious corruption, confidentiality and transparency issues.

But to extend this to friends and friends of friends, you're getting in weird territory where you're forcing people to hire worse candidates than are available in the market, and restricting the ability of people to get hired.

To combat non-relation nepotism, I'm of the opinion that all political hirings should be subject to independent oversight. The politician declares the work the person will be doing, the salary they are to be paid, and declares all current or previous personal or professonal relationships with the candidate.

A board then interviews the candidate to assess whether they are qualified for the work they are being hired for, and whether the salary to be paid is appropriate. Any failure to declare a relationship with a candidate is referred to SIPO. If the board is of the opinion that the candidate is completely unfit or the salary is way over the odds, the appointment is denied and it's reported to SIPO.
    Daly and Wallace are both in the same tiny political party Wallace's son will be working for him, doing policy research, as much as he is working for Daly.

You seem to have the wrong end of the stick as usual, I don't point out your lies/hypocrisy/waffle because I think it might be of interest to you- it's usually because they stick out like a sore thumb when I'm reading through a thread.

As regards me being a shill? You got me, Fine Gael set up my account before they were even in government all so I could post a handful of comments on political matters.

It's just that I post an opinion. You attack it. That would be fair enough, but it's all you seem to do. It's hard to take your view as legitimate.

It's just that I post an opinion. You attack it. That would be fair enough, but it's all you seem to do. It's hard to take your view as legitimate.

Do I need a certain number of opinion pieces before I can challenge someone posting nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you post opinions, and you subsequently fail to back up that opinion with any evidence, expect it to be attacked. That applies to everyone around here.

Do I need a certain number of opinion pieces before I can challenge someone posting nonsense?

One would be a start.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    If you post opinions, and you subsequently fail to back up that opinion with any evidence, expect it to be attacked. That applies to everyone around here.

Things happen, I pose an opinion.
    You eagerly defending Fine Gael incompetence and cronyism at every hands turn is not my 'failing to back up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Could she say no....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

There should be a panel from which all elected TDs and senators and MEPs draw from.
    Said panel members employed under the strictest penalties of confidentiality.

Professional assistants as it were.

One would be a start.

Maybe a better option would be to stop posting things pulled from your backside? Then you'd never have to hear from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One would be a start.

Things happen, I pose an opinion.
    You eagerly defending Fine Gael incompetence and cronyism at every hands turn is not my 'failing to back up'.

You post opinions.

You never back them up, that causes a credibility problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Two absolute wasters. An issue I never see raised about micks shenanigans with money is why he has never been prosecuted in a criminal court regarding his outrageous behaviour.

Why is this ? An investigation is needed into how this cretin has not been brought to justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why is this ? An investigation is needed into how this cretin has not been brought to justice.

So you missed the court case where he was prosecuted.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    There should be a panel from which all elected TDs and senators and MEPs draw from.
    Said panel members employed under the strictest penalties of confidentiality.

Professional assistants as it were.

I’d agree with this as it would do away with the “Old Friends Act” and keep everything above board.

Was that not a Civil case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

He was never prosecuted in a criminal court. If you can prove otherwise, be my guest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Daly and Wallace - two of the biggest con artists in the history of Irish politics. There’s been nothing as fake as these two charlatans since the days of Haughey.
    Pretend you’re a socialist and “anti system”, do nothing constructive ever, pretend you’re a politician and watch the cash pile in. Great they have an electorate in Ireland dumb enough to fall for the act

Was that not a Civil case?

Non payment of pension contributions he was still in court, Revenue reached a settlement with him so what justice he has escaped I have no idea.

He was never prosecuted in a criminal court. If you can prove otherwise, be my guest

What do you want him prosecuted in criminal court for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

road_high wrote: »
    Pretend you’re a socialist and “anti system”, do nothing constructive ever,

Seriously, whatever you think of them as people, they do constructive work, if you understand the job of an opposition TD. Which is to question government policy and to expose corruption and inefficiencies in the system.

They fulfill their roles better than most. That cannot be denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Seriously, whatever you think of them as people, they do constructive work, if you understand the job of an opposition TD. Which is to question government policy and to expose corruption and inefficiencies in the system.

If you like them personally or like what they have done then that is grand. But you can't have a different standard for them as you would for others when it comes to nepotism.

It is forbidden by the European Parliament to hire relatives for these roles. So they are taking the piss and she is hiring his son (who I presume lost his gravy train in the Dail when daddy upped sticks to Brussels).

You can't give them a pass on that because you liked other things they did.

BTW, it is always far easier to be the hurler on the ditch and roaring at the players for doing wrong things when you know that you are never going to be brought on to actually do something and make the decisions that have to be made.

If you like them personally or like what they have done then that is grand. But you can't have a different standard for them as you would for others when it comes to nepotism.

It is forbidden by the European Parliament to hire relatives for these roles. So they are taking the piss and she is hiring his son (who I presume lost his gravy train in the Dail when daddy upped sticks to Brussels).

You can't give them a pass on that because you liked other things they did.

BTW, it is always far easier to be the hurler on the ditch and roaring at the players for doing wrong things when you know that you are never going to be brought on to actually do something and make the decisions that have to be made.

I haven't given them a pass at all if this was an appointment made to circumvent the rules.

It’s easy go around pointing out the flaws of other people in actual roles. What do these two chancers do apart from that?

It’s easy go around pointing out the flaws of other people in actual roles. What do these two chancers do apart from that?

THAT is their role. To question and expose if necessary. We know government parties would like a free ride, but we also know what happens when they get one...to our cost. The 'opposition' benches are not there to sit and look pretty on.

THAT is their role. To question and expose if necessary. We know government parties would like a free ride, but we also know what happens when they get one...to our cost. The 'opposition' benches are not there to sit and look pretty on.

I’ve no interest in so called opposition crowing on the sidelines- get into govt and do the actual hard work and let’s see what the likes of Daly and Wallace are really made of. That’s my benchmark for all politicians so for me these two have zero track record of note in anything apart from tax dodging and nepotism

• Advertisement

I’ve no interest in so called opposition crowing on the sidelines-

Then you have no concept of what 'government' means, not to mention how democracy functions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

er ?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/independent-td-mick-wallace-is-released-from-prison-after-two-hours-inside-34273660.html

although this happened too

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wallace-got-120k-in-garda-arrest-claim-29289689.html

stink of politics off that second one though

Then you have no concept of what 'government' means, not to mention how democracy functions.

I certainly do- it’s a grown up game of responsibility something SF and their mirror anarchists in the form of these two fraudsters wouldn't have a bloody notion of. And why the likes of these yokes will forever be (so called) opposition as it suits them to do SFA bar point out other people’s mistakes- nothing could be easier and you have a certain very dim cohort of the electorate that lap it up hook line and sinker. I’m only interested in those willing and able to govern. Not populist whiners and will always point them for what they are.
    Stick these two players along with SF into govt and see how long they’ll last pretending to be grown ups

I certainly do- it’s a grown up game of responsibility something SF and their mirror anarchists in the form of these two fraudsters wouldn't have a bloody notion of. And why the likes of these yokes will forever be (so called) opposition as it suits them to do SFA bar point out other people’s mistakes- nothing could be easier and you have a certain very dim cohort of the electorate that lap it up hook line and sinker. I’m only interested in those willing and able to govern. Not populist whiners and will always point them for what they are.
    Stick these two players along with SF into govt and see how long they’ll last pretending to be grown ups

:) I think it is pretty clear that you haven't a notion what you are talking about.

The opposition's job is to question and to expose where necessary. Their ability to do the job of governing or not do the job of governing is not the issue.

The rest of your point is just petty hate. Either of these people or the fact that they do question and they do expose.

road_high wrote:
    I’ve no interest in so called opposition crowing on the sidelines- get into govt and do the actual hard work and let’s see what the likes of Daly and Wallace are really made of. That’s my benchmark for all politicians so for me these two have zero track record of note in anything apart from tax dodging and nepotism

In any functioning democracy you require a robust opposition. Whether you like who the opposition is , is irrelevant once they are fulfilling the function that's what's important.

• Advertisement
Advertisement