Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue or rim tape for tubular tyres

Options
  • 18-07-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I have been riding tubulars for 6 years and have had incidents involving glued tubulars put on by trading mechanics with the last one causing a fair amount of road rash. Incidentally this was only a few weeks back in a race - a local shop had done a glue job on a replacement, they blamed the glue and not the single coat of glue on the rim.

I used Effeto Carogna rim tape from the start of the year and it looks to be better than anything previously used. there is no give at all between tub and rim, now 5 months later. its a double bonded adhesive so it sticks to the rim and the double side sticks to the tubular. i've tried my hardest to force the tubular off the rim to no avail. looks to be without doubt the best option to take for anyone who is thinking of using glue or using rim tape. I like to dabble with the bike but am practically useless but it was simple to do and incredibly time effective, rim was cleaned, tape was on in 4 minutes, smoothed out and the tyre attached seamlessly two minutes later. no waiting for 4 days for drying out and gluing and regluing.

just thought i'd share as there will be one or two who go to a bike shop, ask to do a tubular for them, they get them to glue a tubular (maybe badly) and get a similiar result to me. try the above rim tape and do it yourself, saving time and money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I can't find the link, but I read somewhere, that some wheel manufacturers recommend that rim tape not be used on their tubular rims.

Advertisement