Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Road Bike Recommendations

Options
  • 18-07-2019 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking to make a purchase on the bike to work scheme. I'd say my price range would be in and around 800-1200 ideally. The longest I have cycled was 85k.

I've been into 2 bike shops recently that offer the scheme. I went to Funked Up bikes and Penny Farthing Cycles. I explained the type of bike I wanted to both. I want a bike mainly for fitness, cycling to work (40 mins) and 2-3 charity events a year (non-competitive) in and around 60k-100k. I also would like it to not require too much maintenance and be durable.

I was talking to the guy in Funked Up bikes for about 35 minutes and he was really informative and these were the 2 bikes that he recommended.

Cinelli Hobootleg Interail - €1332

Aventon Kijote Adventure - €850

I was speaking to the guy in Penny Farthing Cycles for about 5 minutes and he recommended these 2.

Giant Contend SL2 - €1049

Trek Domane AL4 - €999

Any advice would be much appreciated, whether it be particular brands, models or even shops that might be worth visiting for a chat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One shop recommended two steel bikes and the other recommended two aluminium bikes.
    So it's really down to if you want steel or aluminium.
    I've no experience with steel bikes, they are not very popular anymore although some people still love them.
    Yes steel is more durable and I might see the logic behind getting one for commuting but aluminium is much lighter.
    For 100km charity events the aluminium bikes will be much better and it will also be just fine for commuting and perfect for fitness.
    The Giant and Trek are practically identical, they have the same groupset which is a better groupset than on the steel bikes.
    If you go for them just pick the one you like the colour of, you can't go wrong with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

I would go for the Giant if i were you. :)

Also I'd disregard the Cinelli Hobootleg Interrail, flat bars are fine for pottering around a city/town but will really slow you down on longer cycles.

Does anyone know if Giant still make aluminium frames for Trek? The two aluminium bikes may have been made in the same factory although probably designed by different engineers. All the frames coming out of the Giant factory in Taiwan should be excellent quality.

That Cinelli is one weird looking bike.

As said the Trek and Giant are essentially the same, but the Giant would shave it for me having internal cabling and and 28c tyres.

Worth noting too that the Giant now comes in a disc model at the upper end of the budget for €1199

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ommet

tuxy wrote: »
    One shop recommended two steel bikes and the other recommended two aluminium bikes.
    So it's really down to if you want steel or aluminium.
    I've no experience with steel bikes, they are not very popular anymore although some people still love them.
    Yes steel is more durable and I might see the logic behind getting one for commuting but aluminium is much lighter.
    For 100km charity events the aluminium bikes will be much better and it will also be just fine for commuting and perfect for fitness.
    The Giant and Trek are practically identical, they have the same groupset which is a better groupset than on the steel bikes.
    If you go for them just pick the one you like the colour of, you can't go wrong with either.

I was leaning towards the aluminium frame alright. It makes sense for the long events for sure.

Also, would you have any tips in terms of accessories that I need and mightn't be aware of other than mudguards, gloves, shorts, tops, lights, helmet, lock, backpack, pump etc. I have most of them already from previously.

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement

topnotch wrote: »
    I would go for the Giant if i were you. :)

Do you have a Giant bike or what's the reasoning behind that?

That Cinelli is one weird looking bike.

As said the Trek and Giant are essentially the same, but the Giant would shave it for me having internal cabling and and 28c tyres.

Worth noting too that the Giant now comes in a disc model at the upper end of the budget for €1199

Ah okay, well that separates the Giant and Trek for me anyway. What exactly does the disc model contribute in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ommet wrote: »
    Ah okay, well that separates the Giant and Trek for me anyway. What exactly does the disc model contribute in comparison?

Disc brakes which are considerably better than rim brakes. Disc brakes also result in virtually no wear to wheel rims and so theoretically the wheels should last longer and you have consistent braking in both wet and dry conditions.

I’d go with disc over rim brakes if the bike is for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Disc brakes which are considerably better than rim brakes. Disc brakes also result in virtually no wear to wheel rims and so theoretically the wheels should last longer and you have consistent braking in both wet and dry conditions.

I’d go with disc over rim brakes if the bike is for commuting.

Agreed. I wish I had discs. Not even for the rim wear or stopping power, just so I don't have to clean the rims every 2-3 days of cycling in the wet Winter months. They get absolutely filthy so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

No love for steel? Wow.

Given the local road surfaces, a steel bike would be high on my list. There's nothing wrong with aluminium, but it is a bit more reactive on the road. You'd find yourself fresher after a long sportive, on a steel bike.

• Advertisement

My bias toward steel notwithstanding, I'd go for the Trek Domaine. 28c tyres & carbon fork should keep things smooth. Disc brakes are nice, but rim brakes are simpler to maintain and easy to live with. It'd serve you well on sportives and long spins, being a road bike.

Does it only come in silver? Not bad looking, actually. It'd look great with tanwall tyres and flashy bar tape and matching bottle cages; or keep it all black and less conspicuous.

Don't they both come with 28c tyres and a carbon fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blinkerz

If you want a bike for fitness then you should focus on two things - weight and group set. For 1200 euro you will be able to get a light aluminium frame with shimano 105 group set.
    Check out the Cube Attain SL 700c Road Bike 2019 as one example. Available at cycle superstore for a hair under 1,200.
    Great for fitness and definaterly adequate for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Ommet wrote: »
    Do you have a Giant bike or what's the reasoning behind that?

Ya i have had several Giant bikes and they have never let me down.

tuxy wrote: »
    Don't they both come with 28c tyres and a carbon fork?

The review of the Giant I'm seeing has a 25c tyre; but yeah I'd be surprised if they both didn't have carbon forks; and it could certainly take a 28c tyre especially if it's got disc brakes.

The review is saying how complicated the disc brake system is, along with the use of a T15 torx head bolt for adjustment, which might not be the easiest thing for a commuter or newbie.

Subjectively, the Giant is /ugly/. Sorry Giant fans. And I suppose you can't see it when you're on it! :):):)

The Giant comes with 28c according to spec and a hybrid composite fork, the Trek fork is carbon with 25c tyres with room for 28c ones max.

The breaking system is odd they call it Giant Conduct it's got an unusual housing in front of the stem https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct

That could be problematic for mounting standard stuff like lights and computers no?

conduct_gallery_2.jpg

700 X 28 Folding tyre from the Ireland section of the giant site.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-2

The only real difference I can see to separate the two bikes is that the giant has internal cables and trek has external. Can't really go wrong with either of them.

Advertisement