Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai/Kia head units to display live eCars charger status

Options
  • 18-07-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭

Some of this has been pointed out in the Ioniq thread but I said I'd start a new thread as its not Ioniq specific and it would just get lost there anyway.

Hyundai and Kia seem to share the same head unit firmware and maps (e.g. Kona EV, Ioniq, Niro all seem to have the same firmware).

They utilise TomTom maps and in the 2018 firmware update the head unit introduced support for the TomTom "live" feature which gives you realtime availability data on the charge points.

The TomTom feature is here:
    https://www.tomtom.com/automotive/products-services/connected-services/tomtom-ev-service/

How it works on the head unit is shown here

Thanks to denismc for that!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110301249&postcount=7171

The gotcha is that eCars charge points just show up as "No info" for the status. It shows all the static data like location, cable type etc so it does work just that the realtime data is not there.

The good news is that eCars are working with TomTom to push that realtime status data. Here is the response I got from eCars when I asked them.
    We are currently working with TomTom on providing them with live charge point status data to augment the addressing / location information they already make available via their service to automotive OEMs.

The additional information will be available in the on-board systems of vehicles who’s navigation systems are powered by TomTom in the coming months.

So, once eCars systems start talking to TomTom systems it should just start working on your head unit if you have the 2018 firmware. It just requires you to have your phones hotspot connected to the cars Wifi.

That would be cool.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks,great ideea going forward but i tried to manage the live data from the eCars ... hardly by now.

What if i decide to head to that charegr just to fidn it occupied by a vehicle which owner is just connecting cables !?
    I say is handy for availability such as online/offline as working or faulty but occupied or not,how live update is that,how many minutes delay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

rolion wrote:
    What if i decide to head to that charegr just to fidn it occupied by a vehicle which owner is just connecting cables !? I say is handy for availability such as online/offline as working or faulty but occupied or not,how live update is that,how many minutes delay ?

In my experience it's a couple of minutes or less nothing significant. I'll test it next time I charge..... IE plus in and see how long it takes zapmaps to reflect it

Advertisement