Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭santana75

They showed an extended scene from this before Dr. Strange 2 and even though the original Top Gun never did anything for me, I have to admit what I saw looked fairly impressive. Judging by that scene it has the potential to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

That sounds like a very generic Lady Ga Ga song.

This is my favourite trailer for the film because it has all the aerial shots that they have released so far.

I'm not bothered about the story or Tom Cruise the aerial shots on their own are for enough me to want to see this film in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And that's a quality OTT (Intentionally I assume) power ballad from GaGa. That's 100% montage music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Some stunning reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. 100% after 44 reviews so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The flight sequences simply from the trailers look like a quantum leap over the ones in the original. There's a LOT to say about Tom Cruise, but his commitment to pushing the boundaries of spectacle cinema is a trait I genuinely admire.

Joseph Kosinski is also a great visual filmmaker, so a very smart choice for a film such as this. Glad to hear it appears to have paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Apple and oranges, the first film used all real footage, 2 actual missile firings and the rest were models. This has a good chunk of CGI for the flight scenes. Even the F-18s are CGI in some shots.

Even ripping off a bit of the sub par Iron Eagle 2 finale.

TBH I'm amazed it's rating so well.

In the first film they could barely fit the 35mm cameras onto the planes plus those cameras could only record for about 10 minutes at a time before they needed to be reloaded which couldn't be done in the air.

But with the digital cameras they are using now they pretty much have unlimited recording time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you just going by the trailer or have you managed to see a press screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

As a heads up, from the non spoiler review I've seen.. this film might be laden with easily spoiled scenes/story points

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Top Gun has a plot??

Really hate all the close in dogfighting rubbish when in reality modern jet fighters are mach 2 rockets firing guided missile from beyond visual range at targets designated bt an awacs several 100km away... just as annoying as all those space combat films that think spaceships will be fighting at ww2 speeds and human input will be able to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

If Tom ever does a space movie he'll probably literally go into space to film it.

To be clear and a fair he'll probably literally mine the ore and refine it and build it into a space elevator so that he can shoot a scene of him running up along the outside of it into space 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hearing really good things but the proof of the pudding will be the eating. Looking forward to seeing this.

If they were going to show what real dogfighting looks like all the pilots would see is a small dot in the distance when they are trying to shoot down another plane.

That would be realistic but it wouldn't make good cinema,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There has been something of a rumour that he would do something in zero-gravity, though I suspect that has been just that - a rumour. And not like that hasn't been done before; IIRC Apollo 13 shot its spaceship footage from the famous "vomit comet"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So, in essence your complaint is that Top Gun demonstrates the skillset that pilots learn in Top Gun! A school who’s very existence is predicated around close in dog fighting. I’m almost sure there’s some text in the original explaining it’s foundation owing to the losses the Navy suffered in Vietnam; where pilots only had BVR training and no guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm guessing Tom Crusies character will die thus a new guy will take his place to keep the legacy alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There was, top gun is specifically for learning dog fighting. Not the sort of movie I’d be looking for plot holes in.

I'm wary of thinking he'd let go of a film franchise. I was thinking to myself he might do something like that for mission impossible.. like a good few films back at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Which was the plan with Renner apparently. Also see the Bourne series. Poor Jeremy.

I’d bet that there’s no more to Top Gun after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think there realistically could be really. At least without it getting dull.

It's easier getting away with having a series of film like Bourne, MI etc - when they are about spies and epionage, different villains, different motives etc. And in the main for the Bourne & MI films, it works. But not so easy when the main draw of the film is a jet. There is not a whole lot of variety that can be applied.

I am really looking forward to the Maverick film - mainly out of nostalgia, and I loved the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this film is a confluence of factors but I dont think anyone wants sequels etc. Oddly the first film never meant that much to me, in terms of 80's films I doubt it would even make my top 20 but its the one sequel I really want to see.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Woah! 97% on RT from 156 reviews!

Early days but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just out of this. Loved it. Even better than the first one. I laughed I cried. It was brilliant. Will have to go see it again. There was some parts where I got it hard to hear the talking but maybe that was just me.

It has actually put me in a mood to watch Star Trek Enterprise Friendship. Not going to say why but there us a really cool scene at the beginning of the film.

And buy what a beautiful plane it is too. I was looking up after what fastest any human has ever gone is and no one has done that speed in Earth's atmosphere yet. Out of it yes they have gone faster but with space being so vast it seems less of am event and is basically slow for space travel. We have a long way to go there.

The film flew buy.

10 out of 10.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Right. Back from seeing it in the IMAX. It was .. grand.. like.

It's a follow-up to Top Gun and has lots and lots of nods and follow-ups to Top Gun.

How are the stories.. well, there's probably three elements:

• the pilots - done grand, didn't feel as ground breaking as the original
    • the big story - this was awkward because it felt like it was the biggest struggle to create A-Big-Deal (TM) to have to fight but they pulled something off.
    • the interpersonal story - again done grand, didn't feel as ground breaking as the original

The coolest parts were by-far the flying around in the airplanes.

So...

damn but they make flight with pilots feel like it's on it's last legs.. this all combines with films like 2005s Stealth and more modernly 2014s, Good Kill (woah.. that was 2014?!?!) to really make the skills of these pilots feel like they are on the out.

Poor aul Ice Man. Was that cancer? I think that was cancer he died of. I dunno though.

I was absolutely buzzing when they got out the F14. That was cool! Don't care what any of the rest of yis say. Also the combat with these .. Fifth Gen fighters.. that gave the fights a feel of an edge.

The big story reaching.. really was reaching but I don't care. I mean yeah sure.. why not just Tomahawk all those known fixed position air defences too.. but shur.. meh.. it lent to the story.

Strong agree on the time. It absolutely whizzed by.

Last note on the business side of things.. if my audience was anything to go by.. skewing older and not a hugely filled cinema.. I'm not sure this film is gonna make bank.

• Advertisement

Thinking about it.. I avoided a rewatch of the original before going in.. but a rewatch before going in might have been a benefit

Advertisement