Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Saw this yesterday, didn’t care much for the first half, was great hearing the original top gun music at the start, loved the original.

second half of the movie flew by and was entertaining, all the new actors are rubbish to be honest.

was better than I expected, popcorn for the brain, not much to think about but plenty of cool stuff to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I know they mapped waypoints but the footage shows them doing this practice down a canyon, which would make alternative waypoints very hard to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Its not illegal to have rotten taste in movies 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sending in a drone to take out the enemy target would have made for a much less interesting movie.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Everyone in the world is wrong and corrupt except me? Wish I had your self confidence.

Fair enough if you didn't like the movie, ain't no sin, but it's a weird flex to decide everyone else is not just wrong, but probably took the shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the movie had more planes and less of everything else it might have been only half bad but as it is it’s all bad.

Best line in the movie “the mission has been moved up”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm still awaiting my cheque. Hope it comes soon so I can but another cinema ticket to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Now you're getting somewhere. First step is self-awareness. Admitting it to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found the film excellent. The cinema was packed, even though it was week 3 of the release. I saw the original when it first debuted and while it was good, this was the better film and fair play to Tom Cruise for his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Indeed.... Most fans wouldn't be expecting much so their views would be along the lines of the fanboi sh1te here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,132 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watched it last night. Two hours of Tom Cruise’s ego. Very cringe. He looks no more than 40.

Rubbish acting, and zero connection/flow or chemistry in the movie.

I used to really rate Cruise as an actor, but these last few years with these over kill action flicks, I think he has really regressed. Very unconvincing.

I agree it's absolutely not convincing. But it's top gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Take another look - they weren't flying in a canyon, they were just flying close to terrain, hills and such. A bit of common sense and we can assume they probably didn't lay out their waypoints in locations where the real underlying geography would cause accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's been a nice thread but, time to unfollow. Cheerio!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hmmmm... $757m worldwide ($393m USA, $353m World) now..

It'll definitely pass Batman at $770 .. Not sure it'll get the $1b or even pass Dr Strange at $930m

Still early days all the same.

Not sure what hold Jurassic World can do and what pull Lightyear will have.

Top Gun might be able to coast along until Minions and Thor in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Saw it last night. Average enough isnt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Having now outgrossed Dr Strange 2 in the US, this will probably be the highest-grossing movie of the year there, although maybe Thor or Avatar 2 can overtake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Fantastic movie.

A perfect sequel.

The scene between Cruise and Kilmer was lovely. For a little while I did actually thing that Maverick died.

The aerial action and fights and the mishaps in the training were edge of the seat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

They were not training in a canyon..

The were flying along mountain and hillside but in several scenes wide open ground in the other side was clearly visible.

They were simply flying as though it was a valley or canyon.

I think Maverick even stated I. The first meeting that they had no similar terrain to train in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Went in with low expectations but this was a fun film. The only thing I hated was that the absence of an identity for the enemy nation. That was just absurd but it was great craic otherwise.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Loads of films are part funded by China or Dubai these days so they probably left the identity in the air for those reasons I'd imagine, I thought it was funny that there was no identity given it was the entire plot of the movie but it also didn't take away from the enjoyment of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It just stuck out to me. I'd have just said it was the Russians. There'd have been no blowback.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the film would have come across as far more jingoistic if the enemy nation was explicitly coded as a particular country. It takes on a more cartoonish vibe in its current form, befitting the film. It's still a very pro-American / military film, but it'd have been far more distracting if they were explicitly targeting Iran, North Korea, China or even 'fictional Middle Eastern country that ends with -stan'.

The film is of course ideological and political by its very nature (and having an anonymous enemy is its own statement) - personally I'd prefer if films didn't need to cooperate with the US Department of Defence or military at any capacity! But IMO the decision to at least partially insulate it from modern geopolitics made it easier to just go along with the spectacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course, with tedious inevitability, The Asylum has released its Mockbuster: Top Gunner! Looks like a classic "Eric Roberts sits at a desk, half drunk" kind of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

It would be more satisfying from the standpoint of fiction but also more inflammatory.

As for co-operation with the military... in the first film in 1986 the camera lingered on a recruitment poster at one point. Many critics saw it as a 110-minute recruiting ad, which it was. It led to a 500-percent increase in naval aviation recruitment.

The military talk openly about using these films for recruitment and have big links to Hollywood.

That the current US armed forces doesn't have enough pilots is well known in military circles so that American Airlines which depends on ex-military pilots is now running buses instead of planes between regional airports. Plus they will now need even more military personnel if Sweden and Finland join NATO (Yes, I'm aware that this film went into production in 2018 long before the conflict in Ukraine started).

'“The movie came out on Friday and [we] haven’t seen a giant uptick yet just because it’s the weekend,” said Navy recruiter Lieutenant Caitlin Bryant. “But we’re looking forward to it.”

Bryant says there was a noticeable bump even after the trailer first came out.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Btw I liked this movie a lot and might go see it again.

Advertisement